Acne breakouts = depression

Challenges and trouble-shooting
sabie
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Acne breakouts = depression

Post by sabie »

Hi guys, sorry to be a downer but I feel like I am losing it. I can't handle the acne. I have no idea what is causing it, I'm eating the sample, if you eat previoulsy frozen fish can that cause it? I just don't know anymore. I am prefectly satisfied being on this but the acne is getting to me. I have spider veins (lots), stretch marks, thin skin that you can see through, cellulite and deformed ribs from two falls and I noticed I had a dent in my chest about six months ago . I'm sorry but all I had going for me was the fact that my facial skin was always clear and smooth and now I have major acne! My cheeks get all rough and scaly, underlying bumps that come up, go down, face gets that red look, zits around the hairline. During the course of a day my face will change, settle down, start up but I no longer have smooth skin. If I so much as lay my arm on my face at night that area breaks out. I'm humiliated and now it is affecting if I will go to the gym which is very bad as I'm reclusive anyway. I would just go off but I have lost interest in most foods and don't want to eat all that crap again. Could it be eggs? I'm just so confused. Ive been using the rosewater and coconut oil on my face, I stopped my other stuff except for putting my dermo cream on a few spots. Could it be the rosewater? The problem is, it is so all over the place I can't even begin to figure it out. I dread the next PMS, if my face is bad I won't even leave the apt. I wish I had someone here to advise me but I don't. I have to put something on my face as it is so scaly. I'm ready to drink orange juice and eat only bananas and avocados but I need the fish and the eggs and how long does that go on for? Can this be becasue I'm not eating enough, losing weight.....still have problems going to the washroom at times. Again, sorry about the whining but I feel trapped, I couldn't go back now if I wanted to and I have a feeling my skin is off on a course I don't understand. Some days okay, some days semi, some days bad. Or is my system so messed up that the drastic changes are causing this as RRM said in a reply. If so, how many months? I just don't know if anyone else has gotten acne from doing this and then it would disappear eventually. People go on this to get rid of acne so the more I read the more confused I get.
sunpower9

Post by sunpower9 »

Hi Sabie,

I know it can be a very distressing time for you now, however if you stay put and try and tweak this diet a little you may get the results.I belive everyone is different and their needs differ.I had to go through a very similar situation and belive me I was so frustrated when I was not getting any results.

My acne flared up again when i went 100% and I was thinking why am I getting it now that I have eliminated all cooked foods.I then started eliminating all items that I suspected were causing acne in me.So that's how I realised it was the nuts/seeds that were causing it and surprisingly I never even thought they could have caused acne.Also there were other stuff like onions(which i added to my salad) and lemons that were causing me acne.My skin got totally clear after eliminating these items.However during the elimination period my skin went extremely dry which is back to normal now.

One more thing is when your body is detoxing it is best not to apply anything on the skin and instead allow it to breathe since a lot of toxins are pushed out from your pores.Clean it with water that's all.Check this link-- http://www.rawfood.com/cgi-bin/forum/ul ... =000214&p=

You should also observe how your digestive system is working, if its working fine then your skin will reflect it.

What you could do is allow your skin to breathe by not applying anything on it even if it feels very very dry now, and try eliminating foods that you suspect is causing you acne, try drinking other fruit juices,keep away from citrus fruits for a while.Avoid fish and eat only yolks or avoid yolks and eat fish, you need to find this out for yourself 'coz your body is talking to you now.All it takes is a little patience and a little experimentation.I hope this helps.
adonis

Post by adonis »

Sabie, how long have you been on the diet? It sounds like the frozen fish and the spot treatment you are using may be interfering with your results. I am also thinking that you are not eating enough and that you are not eating enough variety of foods. I have been battling acne since I was 21. I am 34 now. I have been on the diet for almost four weeks. I have to admit I cheated once having a cooked dinner one night and I paid dearly for this. I had one of the worst breakouts I've ever had. To the point where I called into work sick just to give my face an extra day after my two days off to clear up. That was just over a week ago. I went strict again and in five days my face had cleared up quite a bit. Not completely though. Last night I finally came to the conclusion that I cannot stay on this diet for several reasons:

1. It is too costly- $50.00 a week for everything.
2. I am losing weight- I am eating a lot and eating all day, just lost 4-5 pounds and I can't afford that when I am looking to gain weight.
3. Living in the states, eating is what we do best, as the world knows. It's very tough to go anywhere and eat only fruit.
4. Realistically I know I will not be able to stay on this forever so why torture myself.
5. Tired of eating the same foods over and over.

Now please don't get me wrong here. This system is incredible. If you can be disciplined enough to stick with it, eat right, eat the right amounts and follow the program to a T then you'll be on your way to clear skin. I have had good results while on the program but the negative effect of the minor weight loss. I have mild acne but one zit is one too many in my book. My wife says she doesn't even notice but it's not her I'm worried about noticing, it's the rest of the world.

So I have decided this much. I will continue to read and research and make adjustments to see what I can do to minimize the problem. I will continue to eat fruits and brazil nuts and egg yolks and the other foods, but as snacks and not my primary food. My skin is strange in that one week it is ok even eating everything under the sun and the next two and three weeks is breakout and recovery. I feel like a woman with PMS, like I have my own cycle that causes the acne.

As far as why you are experiencing this breakout, if you have eaten any non-diet foods recently and have then gone strict, your body is eliminating the toxins through your pores. After 4-5 days you should see your face clear up a bit. The nice thing about this diet is that it only takes a week to see some amazing results. I am sad to admit defeat but I simply can't continue.

I know you have a few other issues, but those I'm not sure about.

If you have any other questions, ask away. Hang in there and know that you are not alone. It just seems that way sometimes.

AD

this post has been edited by RRM
nick

Re: Acne breakouts = depression

Post by nick »

sabie wrote:Hi guys, sorry to be a downer but I feel like I am losing it. I can't handle the acne. I have no idea what is causing it, I'm eating the sample, if you eat previoulsy frozen fish can that cause it?
They certainly can. This could be the problem, also don't eat nuts. In some those can cause acne too.
I'm sorry but all I had going for me was the fact that my facial skin was always clear and smooth and now I have major acne! My cheeks get all rough and scaly, underlying bumps that come up, go down, face gets that red look, zits around the hairline. During the course of a day my face will change, settle down, start up but I no longer have smooth skin.
In some it takes as long as 3 months. For me it took about 5 months to get clear. Your feeling good, right? So keep with it.
Keep with the oil and rosewater. Don't use the dermo cream.
I'm ready to drink orange juice and eat only bananas and avocados but I need the fish and the eggs and how long does that go on for? Can this be becasue I'm not eating enough, losing weight.....still have problems going to the washroom at times. Again, sorry about the whining but I feel trapped, I couldn't go back now if I wanted to and I have a feeling my skin is off on a course I don't understand.
Drink from juices whenever you feel the need. This is best way to keep your sugar-level stable.
Some days okay, some days semi, some days bad. Or is my system so messed up that the drastic changes are causing this as RRM said in a reply.
I noticed that as well. My skin would change throughout the day too. It may take some adjustment time. Once I gave up on trying to get clear skin from this diet, I noticed that I didn't worry or care about my skin. So there wasn't anymore stressing out about it. Its hard to do, but after 5 months I learned to control my thoughts about it. [/quote]
nick

Post by nick »

toaster wrote:A lot of people claim this works so they want to, or are, doing it for life. I've started to think that a balanced diet, complete with grains and vegetables and even meat occasionally is more the way to go. I know several people who lived to be 90 eating that way--some who didn't even eat the greatest--most who ate a balanced diet and ate things in moderation--focusing on healthy things the most of course.
True. But there are people who smoke 2 packs of cigarettes a day and live to be 90. Everyone is different and some people aren't susceptible to those food substances. I also know a lot people who suffer too on a normal cooked diet. They either learn to live with it or do something about it or accept their fate.
I've read about Ancient Chinese philosophy on diet (can't verify the accuracy of the info.) and they say grains and vegetables are the basis of a healthy diet and fruits and meat are supplementary.
OK! They may work for some, but science has shown that this is not totally true. Why are grains and vegetables the basis of ones diet?

Acne is caused when too much Hot or Warm foods are eaten. An acne sufferer needs neutral, cool and cold foods.--which incidentally are most fruits but also a lot more than that. Just Google that stuff and see what you find.
There is a lot Bullsh*t out there. Even eating fruits alone isn't good enough. What about the science behind their claims?

I'm not trying to discount this program, just trying to help and I don't this diet is for everybody or possibly even anybody. I know Wai and RRM have been on this diet for many years and swear by it. Which means they've experimented a bunch and know the ins and outs of it like no other.
I think you raise some good points about the challenges of this diet.
There are many others who are still on this diet, some don't follow it 100% because they know what causes them spots.
Just as you say you keep reading about this stuff and getting more confused--that's because there's so much to it. Will you ever have a grasp on it like Wai and RRM? You can certainly try.
As long you pay close attention and follow the rules, it will work. For sabie, it may take longer. It is unfortunate that for some it takes longer.
I've taken the Wai diet to be more of a cleanse than a permanent lifestyle--which I'm sure plenty of people will disagree and I wouldn't be surprised if they cut me off from writing in these forums and deleted my posts since I don't completely agree with it and am somewhat advocating against it.
I thought the same thing too. But I felt so much better that I didn't want to go back to a normal diet. I don't think we would 'cut' you off. You have a right to say what you think. I don't think you are coming off rude or anti-Wai at all. What do advocate against it? Too extreme, too radical?
Anything can be taken too far, including fruit and following this lifestyle.
Yes, but that is coming from the point of view that you and I were raised on. We don't know anything different except what we are told. This diet provides all essential nutrients and doesn't contain any toxins. How is this diet taking it too far? In times of failure during this diet, I thought this diet was crazy and too extreme, but you have to get past that mindset and look at the science. Truth is stranger than fiction, especially when you live in a world that forgets/ignores those 'stupid' principles that we all are subject to.
You can read it if you haven't already--summed up--fruit is not what it used to be and they are trying to implement a diet based on that which no longer exist--ancient fruit--much different from today's fruit.
Good point. I don't have an answer for that one. Using our intelligence WaiSays has shown us the truth behind diet and nutrition. Yes, no?
Again, I know a lot of people swear by this diet and I noticed many positive effects from it but some negative as well. And when I really sit down and think about it rationally, it just doesn't add up to me. And that's that.
Its hard to understand the fact that your body will undergo some changes that needs time to balance out. We think that this diet will just heal/cure everything instantly. But everyone is different and once you figure those nuances, this diet is a peice of cake. I experienced some problems when I first started that made me want to quit, but in those times of weaknesses I remembered how good this diet makes me feel and look the rest of the time.
nick

Post by nick »

adonis wrote:I went strict again and in five days my face had cleared up quite a bit. Not completely though.
How much improvement have you seen with the sample diet?
Last night I finally came to the conclusion that I cannot stay on this diet for several reasons:

1. It is too costly- $50.00 a week for everything.
2. I am losing weight- I am eating a lot and eating all day, just lost 4-5 pounds and I can't afford that when I am looking to gain weight.
Hmmm, I spend about $90-$100 a week in this diet (I'm in college and ain't wealthy either). What do you normally eat? Where do you buy your fruit? Are you a little overweight? You can put muscle weight on if you wanted to.
3. Living in the states, eating is what we do best, as the world knows. It's very tough to go anywhere and eat only fruit.
Hmmm, that is a weak arguement. Eating is what we do best and look at us...in general we are overwieght and are plagued by health problems. It is tough, but its your decision.
4. Realistically I know I will not be able to stay on this forever so why torture myself.
Why?

As Toaster mentioned this could be a good cleansing program that I can use every few months or anytime I feel my skin is getting too far off track. I have mild acne but one zit is one too many in my book. My wife says she doesn't even notice but it's not her I'm worried about noticing, it's the rest of the world.
You contradicting yourself. This diet is perfect once you get your skin totally clear because you can try some munch foods and see how they effect your skin. How clear are you now?
I will continue to eat fruits and brazil nuts and egg yolks and the other foods, but as snacks and not my primary food.
You could eliminate the brazil nuts, because in some people they can cause spots. You could try that.
My skin is strange in that one week it is ok even eating everything under the sun and the next two and three weeks is breakout and recovery. I feel like a woman with PMS, like I have my own cycle that causes the acne.
But you eat some cooked food and broke out really bad. Whats this say? That cooked food causes you to breakout.
sabie

Post by sabie »

hi eveyone, Firefox just lost a huge long post which I had written and I was not copying to clip board so I have to go and bang my head against a wall for a while and I wil thank you all later.
huntress

Post by huntress »

Sabie :)

I posted a reply on your question about frozen fish in one of the threads (can't remember which though). I was saying that I was just starting to consume salmon after being strict for a month and was just experimenting on the salmon. Those salmon aren't fresh and they have been previously frozen (I live inland).

So after 2 weeks of experimenting on the fish, I am currently going through a skin breakout. The breakouts aren't so severe but it's annoying to see after having an almost cleared skin. Not only my skin broke out, I gained some weight too. This is due to my over consuming the salmon which leads to accumulation of excessive proteins and that made me retained more water. Plus, I was over eating the macadamia nuts (at that time my body had an imbalance in the Omega 3 & 6 from too much salmon so my body was craving for nuts to balance it). Nuts are laden with calories and I was over consuming them in one serving, hence, the weight gain and also break outs.

and Adonis :)

Your stuggle with acne is similar to my struggle with weight. I have acne too but I was more concern with my weight than my skin. I had an eating disorder ever since I went into puberty. I tried controlling it but my efforts were in vain. The past 2 years for me had been very tumulous and my problem with eating disorder became even more problematic which eventually resulted in me being overweight. I am a dancer by the way and I was forced to stop dancing because of my weight gain. I was very distraught and ashamed of myself. I was even teased by my family for being fat. This did not helped me at all and so I went into depression. Since I am in University, the depression only made things worse. I was about to be dropped from my program because of my degrading grades and poor GPA.

It was on January 2005 that I discovered Waisays.com and I have been trying for a year to be on this diet up to until last December that I suceeded into going 100%. See, even trying to be on this diet was difficult for me. But ever since going on 100%, I felt and saw dramatic changes. It was a slow and unsteady change but nevertheless it was progressing towards the positive side.

Now, I have lost half of the weight I had put on, my skin is almost clear, studying have never been more interesting and exciting, and I even went back to dancing! I have a lot to make up from the losses I made in the past 2 years but I feel like I am starting a new life again.

So Sabie, Adonis, please don't give up. I never did. Like nick, I am in school too, and I spend on average 100$ per week on food. That is a lot to spend on food per week, I agree. But what I do is I try to cut down other expenses and give priority to spending on food. It works for me Adonis, see if you can try that strategy too.

And Adonis, perhaps 4 weeks is still too early to make a conclusion in your case. Why don't you set your goal in a longer period, say 6 months? Try taking slow steps. :wink:

To nick: good argument! 8)
jmbattle

Post by jmbattle »

Hello,

I'm afraid I don't really have anything significant to contribute, but just wanted to say 'thank you' for these interesting posts.

There is certainly some soul searching going on here, but let us remain positive and simply enjoy life! ;)

Take care,
James
x
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

I agree with you James!

I think it's crazy that fruit is so expensive in the US. Considering that most kinds of fruit can be grown there! Probably, "normal" people don't eat that much and therefore it is expensive!
Maybe you spend more (I havn't noticed that I do;Holland must be different) but you don't waste money on those chocolat candy bars or a pack of chips here and there from a vending machine...

I love this diet! It's simplified my life: shopping is done in matter of minutes... It's only carrying the fruit back home that's a drag. I do it on my bike, like all Dutch people! My kitchen stays clean SO much longer (no fried fat flying around!), I've disconnected the stove and fridge...

For those of you who are discouradged, I would persevere in your efforts... You're already more than half way there, right?
And trust your body. On this diet especially, it knows what it needs!
Like Huntress said give yourselves more time. Try it 100% for a significant amount of time.

Since January I've been 100% and it does make a big difference.

Good luck!
Corinne.
Gavriel

Post by Gavriel »

Amen Corrinne.

Please do give more time to your body.
Remove ALL foods that are even slightly suspicious.

no dried fruits
no nuts
no cosmetics
no bubbling water
no spices
no onions or any "little" additions "just for taste"

What do you have to loose?

Try it for half a year.
You cna always go back to dead foods.

Chinese nutrition is captivating in it's exotic charm.
Just for now during the experiment, try to read less other theories and follow the chimpanzes.

Even if you eat only Bannanas you won't become a monkey (thrust me - I tried it... :-) and I am still walking on two feet and use my hands to type on the computer)

Sooon your mind will get clearer and your feelings a bit lighter.
you will seeeee.

Good luck!!!
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Wai says we weren't mean to eat grains and legumes b/c we can't eat them raw--that they'd be toxic to us. Well, whose to say we weren't meant, by nature, to discover fire and start cooking our food.
Cooking food creates mutagenic substances for which our bodies are not genetically adapted to handle, or do you disagree?

Yeah, and they are chimpanzees. Would you rather be a chimpanzee or a human being? I think life/health is a little more complicated than this diet.
You are right, we are not chimpanzees. However, were it not for the addition to our diets of clean cholesterol and long-chain omega 3 fatty acids 1.5-2 million years ago I would not be typing this reply, you would not be reading it. Fire was introduced 250k years ago, well after our brain's neural tissue had expanded.
Wai's diet abundantly supplies these nutrients that were so instrumental in the expansion of the human brain.
huntress

Post by huntress »

Well said Thomas
Sooon your mind will get clearer and your feelings a bit lighter
Agreed

Good one on 'dead foods' I guess I should call them from now onwards. :lol:
CurlyGirl

Chimp diet versus human diet

Post by CurlyGirl »

Look at this link for a scholarly article that compare the diets among various human foraging societies with the diet of chimpanzees:

http://www.soc.upenn.edu/courses/2003/s ... apl00d.pdf

The authors conclude that humans are more dependent on foodstuffs that require skill to acquire (i.e. hunted foods, like vertebrate meat; and extracted foods, like nuts and seeds), while chimps and other primates use low-skill techniques to get at the leaves, fruits and roots that they eat. The article makes for interesting reading. Perhaps Wai's diet is a kind of return to low-skill acquisition of food (eggs are easy to 'steal' from chickens, fruit is easy to pick from trees, the only difficult thing is spearing a salmon or catching a deep-water tuna fish...)
sabie

Post by sabie »

Hi everyone went away from the board to see if anything would improve but afraid not. The posts are interesting but I guess there is a difference for me I may have not made clear enough and THIS is what is causing my confusion, not the diet in general. The diet is a blessing. I went on the diet for my mental and physical health, it made the most sense to me of anything I had ever read and I don't go on "diets". This is really a way of life and a belief system.
I did not have any acne or even pimples before I started this (except a couple of small ones after menses sometimes), I have had clear skin for about 7/8 years. And, I have never had acne like I have now. I now have full fledged acne.
I also have an ED which makes it very hard to only drink juice. I have no weight to drop, just fat. I have already lost at least 6 pounds on this and I am pretty small now, guessing around 124/5 at 5 7.5 I just have excess fat on my body from the ED. I am losing weight without trying and have not been eating enough to keep up with my constant riding and working out.
Gavriel, I’ve never had an issue with eating foods outside the diet. I was already on a really limited diet and I’m very lazy (hate cleaning up) and have not cooked for a couple of years at all, little before that for years.
Again, though, everything is confusing to me as I did not have the acne before so I have no experience, so why would foods I ate before suddenly be giving me acne? Also, cosmetics, sorry, but I am not going to stop wearing makeup. I don’t wear face makeup, never have, only eye and lip, can’t wear any blush now that I’m acne face anyway. I have been using nothing on my face except Volvic for over a week.
I’m eating raw fish, egg yolks, dried fruit (good stuff) orange juice, olive oil, bananas, avocado, and some kiwi. For me cheating has consisted of a few raw cashews a few times, frustration, there seems to be no rhyme or reason in the skin. I’ll stop eating something for a week but still breakout. Also, seems to be more affected by environment than by any emotions, if I’m sitting in a warm room, seems a bit better when I am outside, when I wake sometimes everything is very red. Generally though, I have developed something I have never had before and I’m very self conscious and feel that at this age I shouldn’t have this, especially when I start to eat really well. I’m supposed to be making an effort to socialize more and the acne is making me stay in.
I sleep on my back, I wear my hair in a ponytail most of the time at home, I don’t use hair product.
I guess the next step would be to cut out the dried fruit.
I’ve had lots of days of not feeling well, bring clogged up, feeling weak. But then I had good days. I always feel stronger if I eat fish.
I believe if it were not for the acne I would be pretty happy right now, even with all the digestive stuff. I have dropped water weight though too fast maybe so I have loose skin but that just takes time and exercise to deal with. I have cut down on my meds and today I haven’t even taken any. My pms has been different, still there but the rage factor is very low. I have been getting numb fingertips more lately and my hands are cold, skin is itchy but I keep thinking that it takes time for things to settle after years of other habits.
The acne looks likes underlying bumps that rise up, get red and angry and then dry out or settle and then come up again. Also sandy bumps that end up drying up, scatterings of these, my nose has stuff all over it and now my chin seems to be the latest victim. In the light, I look like hell. More on one side. So, no more breakout of a few pimples like the first couple of weeks, now full out all over the face acne. There is no turning back though. I would not know what to do instead of this. I can’t even imagine not giving it six months or more and I only say that because of the acne. I’m doing this forever as long as the acne goes away and my mental state doesn’t drive me to eat something to try to get rid of it (this wouldn’t happen for a couple of months).I hope that it’s not the orange juice. I mean, I have had the acne consistently since 4 days after starting so it is hard to tell. Thank you for the support, I appreciate it. But everyone else already had acne before they started or did not get it afterward, right? Just wondering.
:)