Had osmotic diarrhea (too much sugar)

Challenges and trouble-shooting
Aytundra
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Re: Had osmotic diarrhea (too much sugar)

Post by Aytundra »

The excess sugar (Excess Sugar = sugar that is not decomposed by amylase or absorbed by the human cells of the body)
will then become food for the bacteria in your mouth.
and those bacteria will excrete acid as a by product.
Thus, my explaination of why some people have a white tongue and why some people have damaged enamels.
Similarly excess sugar in the gut will be consumed by bacteria and bacteria will grow in colonies of mushy pats of cells that may cause diarrhea.

So you will have to ask:
How much sugar can the amylase in your intestines and stomach break down, and how much can be absorbed by your intestines and stomach in one meal?

E.g. if your tongue limits you to 0.05g of sugar per bite, and your stomach and intestines limits you to 1g per meal, then in one meal your maximum amount of sugar will be limited to 20 bites of food of 0.05g each and 1g in total.

So if sugar is a limiting reaction to some individuals on this diet, then they cannot take sugar as a means of a booster for energy.
A tundra where will we be without trees? Thannnks!
dime

Post by dime »

For table sugar the enzyme is sucrase, not amylase. Amylase works for starch as far as I know. When you drink orange juice it will anyway be mostly simple sugar, fructose, glucose, etc, so that enzymatic decomposition doesn't have much role.

I'd say it's more important that the body is able to control and limit the growth of bacteria colonies, and able to keep salivary pH in the optimal range.
Thiocyanate and iodine in saliva are bactericidal, and lysosome hydrolyzes bacterial cell walls. Salivary IgA inhibits adherence of micro-organisms to oral tissues.
I'm pretty sure body defenses against bacteria differ from individual to individual (variation in genes), but I can't find the study now.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

dime wrote:I'm pretty sure body defenses against bacteria differ from individual to individual (variation in genes), but I can't find the study now.
No doubt about that.
I'd say it's more important that the body is able to control and limit the growth of bacteria colonies
True, as the bacteria are always there, and need to be there.
dime wrote:For table sugar the enzyme is sucrase, not amylase. Amylase works for starch as far as I know. When you drink orange juice it will anyway be mostly simple sugar, fructose, glucose, etc, so that enzymatic decomposition doesn't have much role.
Except for the sucrose, which still needs to be digested by the sucrase,
but that makes fructose absorption actually easier than with free fructose.
Aytundra wrote:(Excess Sugar = sugar that is not decomposed by amylase or absorbed by the human cells of the body)
This definition is not entirely correct (besides the amylase), as free glucose in the blood is not absorbed by cells yet either,
and when blood glucose levels are normal, this is not excess sugar.
But maybe you meant "not absorbed by the intestines".
dime

Post by dime »

RRM wrote: Except for the sucrose, which still needs to be digested by the sucrase,
Why, because in sucrose it is 1/1 with glucose, or?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

dime wrote:
RRM wrote: Except for the sucrose, which still needs to be digested by the sucrase,
Why, because in sucrose it is 1/1 with glucose, or?
Yes, most fructose is absorbed when it is 1/1.
Free fructose (5 to 50 gram) may be absorbed by the GLUT5 and GLUT2 transport proteins, but that capacity is limited,
though upregulated (particularly GLUT5) when the diet normally contains much free fructose.
But in the presence of sufficient glucose, it may also go through the sucrase related transport system (embedded in the membrane of the small intestine),
and the fructose is then glucose-dependent cotransported.
This system favours sucrose though (as in sucrose the fructose and glucose always come hand-in-hand),
so that additional sucrose inhibits the uptake of free fructose through the sucrase-related transport system.Fujisawa T et al Ushijima K et al Full Free Text
Aytundra

Post by Aytundra »

Okay I stand corrected.
I meant sucrase not amylase.
As amylase decompose starch into sugars.
Sucrase decompose sugars for energy.

Let me try again:
Excess Sugar = Sugar (sucrose, fructose, glucose, maltose, galactose, lactose...) that are not absorbed or used by the human cells in the gastrointestinal tract.
A tundra where will we be without trees? Thannnks!
fred

Post by fred »

RRM wrote: Free fructose (5 to 50 gram) may be absorbed by the GLUT5 and GLUT2 transport proteins, but that capacity is limited,
though upregulated (particularly GLUT5) when the diet normally contains much free fructose.
But in the presence of sufficient glucose, it may also go through the sucrase related transport system (embedded in the membrane of the small intestine),
and the fructose is then glucose-dependent cotransported.
This system favours sucrose though (as in sucrose the fructose and glucose always come hand-in-hand),
so that additional sucrose inhibits the uptake of free fructose through the sucrase-related transport system.Fujisawa T et al Ushijima K et al Full Free Text
So adding sucrose to a fruit juice that contain fructose make this fructose less absorbable ?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

That depends.
It does inhibit the absorption of free fructose through the sucrase pathway,
but it does not inhibit the absorption of free fructose through the GLUT pathway,
so that if the presence of free fructose matches your GLUT capacity,
all free fructose may get absorbed without a problem.

Its just that when you absorb more free fructose than that (say over 50 gram in one meal),
and also add sugar, then the free fructose cannot take the alternative sucrase route,
and thus will not be absorbed.
JeffC

Post by JeffC »

Here's an update after about 2 months.

After some thought, research, and experimentation, I've completed a switch to a "Weston Price" version of the Wai diet, aiming for a diet high in healthy fats rather than carbs. I also devised my own stipulation of Fibonacci ratios between the fat, protein, and carbs. I start with my desired protein intake (in grams), and multiply it by 1.618 in order to find my ideal fat intake. I also divide the protein number by 1.618 to find the maximum amount of carbs I am allowed. My current ratios are:

Fat: 198.34 g (71.67% of calories)
-Omega-6 to 3 ratio: 1.92:1
-Saturated fat: 108.44 g (54.67% of fat)
Protein: 123.52 g (19.84% of calories)
Carbs: 52.92 g (8.5% of calories)

I have settled on a very simple diet:
-4 oz chicken livers (for Vitamin A and other nutrients)
-5 oz mackerel (for omega-3 fats and other nutrients)
-16 oz ground beef (as the best option compared to chicken, etc. for animal fat & protein)
--I add a small amount of good sea salt and lemon juice to improve the beef taste
-5 tbsp coconut oil (for the healthy fat and healing properties)
-3 Medjool dates (as a mechanism for consuming the coconut oil)

Positive results, even though I am still transitioning to the new diet:
-My teeth are improving considerably. Also, no more white-coated tongue. My dental habits haven't changed. The problem was a lack of nutrients. The areas that had turned yellow/brown are returning to white. With more time on this diet, I believe they will continue to improve.
-The wound on my arm that wasn't healing is now almost completely healed.
-I have been through 2 cycles of what are likely "candida die-off" reactions. My body was overwhelmed by toxins, but it purged them. I have lost about 10 lb (4.5 kg), but it came off of my waist rather than muscles. I've always had difficulty trimming my waist, even though I'm a slim guy. But now the fat is finally coming off.
-I feel better mentally/emotionally. Much more tranquil, peaceful, clear. I think I'm understanding better what they mean by 'brain fog.' Ideas seem more clear, and I seem to take action more readily.
-When I work out, I feel like it is much easier to breathe. I have tested my morning CP (oxygen) and it is already much better since I quit the sugar.
-Since we're at WaiTalk, I should note that I've had no acne. But I didn't have acne on the high-sugar diet either.

I will continue to document my results. After a timeframe of 6-12 months I am hopeful that I can provide dramatic before/after pictures.
overkees

Sugar

Post by overkees »

Too bad not alot of people tolerate huge amounts of sugar very well. But you can work up to that slowly and pay very close attention to what your limits are. I now can eat huge amounts of sugar without having alot of trouble with it (up to a total of 400-500g of sugar + sugar from fruits :o).
RRM
Administrator

Re: Omega 3:6 ratio

Post by RRM »

Why that much?
That may be too much sugar in the long run.
Pay close attention to wound healing (lack of B-vitamins)
overkees

Post by overkees »

A little nuance: I apply an intermittent fasting protocol every other day where I eat a lot less sugars. But I mean, I do not get short term problems if I stay under that amount of carbs. If I overdo it, and go up to 600g it will result in diarrhea. I am just experimenting how much sugar works best for me as it is a very cheap way to get energy and I am convinced that if you can handle the sugar, it is the most ideal source for energy. It's just too bad that it's very hard to know where your limit is regarding sugars, on the long term that is. I eat alot of very ripe dried tomatoes (without salt) to fulfill vitamin requirements (also very cheap). Up to about 500 - 1000 g in fresh weight. I cannot eat alot of other fresh fruits (bananas, kiwis) because they will give me intestinal problems and too much OJ results in teeth problems. I don't like apples and grapes are expensive and laden with pesticides. I do like fats alot, but alot more expensive and less efficient than sugars.

My wounds are healing perfectly fine, I cut myself a couple of days ago and was surprised how fast the wound healed. But I will pay close attention to this.

What I did have noticed is that it's an excellent way to get it warm, which is very comfortable :D.
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

Too bad not alot of people tolerate huge amounts of sugar very well. But you can work up to that slowly and pay very close attention to what your limits are. I now can eat huge amounts of sugar without having alot of trouble with it (up to a total of 400-500g of sugar + sugar from fruits ).
Do you eat 400-500 gram of plain sugar ? How do you consume this if you don't drink orange juice ? Do you eat/drink it in very small meals ?
That may be too much sugar in the long run.
Pay close attention to wound healing (lack of B-vitamins)
I think you do this already, but I would suggest to pay very close attention to candida symptoms. (white tongue, diarrhea).
overkees

Post by overkees »

No, it's the total resulting from the addition of sugars in fruits + general sugar (up to 300g on some days).

Regarding gut overgrowth: It's going pretty good, I do alot of long fasts which are really great for gut overgrowth. I also, like I said before, do intermittent fasting every other day +16 hours fast. I made some mistakes by overconsumption, but I'm really amazed at how rapidly I've made progress regarding the gut. I think if you're used to lots of sugar and eat not many fatty acids in general your body will become very dependent on sugar so that it will use it rapidly before other pathogens can. I must say that that carrot fiber is working wonders aswell. I try to have a very fast transit time, so pathogens don't have alot of time to grow on the foods that pass through.
dime

Post by dime »

How do you eat it (dissolve in water?). Also, do you drink a lot of water? What about the soiling test? :)
Would be cool if you write up more about it in your diary maybe.
I'm living on about 130 grams of sugar total (OJ + honey), but as it's getting warmer I'll start biking etc. and will need more, so I'm very curious about experiences.