Allergy to coconut? causing acne?

Challenges and trouble-shooting
fruity
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Allergy to coconut? causing acne?

Post by fruity »

Every time I eat fresh coconut, my skin starts feeling oily, and the next day I wake up with a bunch of inflamed pimples. Is there something in coconut that causes acne? Or could I be allergic to coconut?
RRM
Administrator

Re: Coconut causing acne?

Post by RRM »

Detecting causes of acne is virtually impossible unless you do an elimination diet.
Are you on the 100% raw sample diet?
And, do you really stick to ALL the rules?
fruity

Post by fruity »

I am not 100% on the sample diet anymore- I did it until my skin cleared up, then added back in some foods that did not cause acne flare ups for me (mostly vegetables, lettuce, smoothies, etc.).

But then a few months ago, I started eating raw coconut often, and the acne started appearing. Then I went without coconut for 30 days (as an experiment) and my skin cleared up. When I reintroduced the coconut, my skin got bad again... so I'm almost positive the coconut is the cause. Nothing else has changed.

The problem is, I LOVE coconut, so I hate having to give it up :(

So is there anything in coconut that would cause acne? I know there's lots of selenium, could that be a problem?

Thanks.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Possibly there is an extraneous variable causing the problem...

Is the cococut organic? Maybe it has been irradiated/sprayed and this is what you are reacting to
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

But, yes, it may also be that you really are allergic to coconut.
Indeed, coconut contains extremely much selenium, which can easily have toxic effects if your body somehow cannot properly adjust (decrease) the absorption rate.
It may also be that it just takes time to get used to such a high selenium intake (again), so that after a few weeks of eating some coconut daily, it will not cause any problems anymore. Of course the intermittent period of 30 days didnt help in that regard.

Yes, this is all speculation, and only your own experiments can help you out. (please let us know!)