Fighting cravings for munch food

Challenges and trouble-shooting
slea
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Fighting cravings for munch food

Post by slea »

Hi everyone!

Okay, I need some suggestions for fighting cravings. I was doing so well, no munch food, for over 20 days. My boyfriend brought over a pizza one night, my weakness by the way, and I have been eating munch food every since! I thought I would have a piece or two, very bad idea. I really didn't even want any! My cravings were gone by that point from being clean for 20 days. That was three weeks ago. :x I don't eat munch food because I am very sensitive to opioids and dirty proteins. I find if I am craving these foods it's for the salty flavor. I never crave sweets. I am sure it is partially the msg and food additives, because when I actually get the food it is not as good as the craving wanted me to believe. Any way, I was doing so well and fell hard. Why is it so hard for me to get back on? Any one have some suggestions? I have even tried to kill the craving with egg yolks and it is not working. I read in the acne book, that yolks help curb the cravings. They are overwhelming me! I will literally sit there and think about getting my next fix! It's like drugs! It's mainly for pizza and mexican foods, the spicier the better. I am fine in the mornings, the cravings start in the afternoon. Help! :(
nick

Post by nick »

I can understand!

When I first started the diet, those cravings would keep me up all night driving me crazy!

Those cravings start in the afternoons, perhaps you couldfill that time with sort of activty that would get your mind off of those thoughts?

Write down those thoughts in a journal and thinking it through might help.
Remind yourself how you feel after eating those junk foods, and then think what your goal is with the diet.

How did you resist them in the first few weeks?
Bambi726

Post by Bambi726 »

Haha, my two biggest temptations: Upper Crust Pizza, and Taqueria Vallarta! Sounds like we have a similar type of craving. I love the salty and spicy foods, too, and don't crave sweets at all. The first time I did the Wai diet I broke it after 5-6 weeks with "freshly" cooked cheese with extra cheese pizza, and it was amazing how rubbery and funky it tasted after over a month of eating fruits and raw animal foods! I could taste the wheat, the cheese, the salt, the basil, the tomatoes all separate...but it didn't register as one flavor like pizza normally would..."pizza" flavor, you know? :) I was really disappointed because I really wanted that greasy pizza flavor, but that's not what I got after eating so clean for a while! I "started" the diet last Monday, but my cravings have been particularly strong this time, so I did a "modified" Wai diet for one week(mostly Wai with one big munch meal), and starting yesterday I've been 100% Wai, and I'm committed now. The only thing that works for me is to just not make the other foods an option, mentally. It may be hard after you've faltered for a little while, but perhaps you could just set a date that you will go 100% Wai, and when that day comes, don't even think about other foods - just eat Wai, and enjoy the taste of REAL foods! ;) Pretend like you're allergic to all other foods! hehe. Good Luck, slea! You were able to do it for 20 days before, you can do it for however long you want to again! :D

~Amber
sula58

Post by sula58 »

Hey Slea: Oh my god, speaking as someone who is equally sensitive, it is like drugs!!
It took me a full year before I even attempted the Sample diet, because I was always "hooked" on SOMETHING--usually small stuff, like mayo and ranch dressing (which were the hardest to get rid of, because, like you, I loved the saltiness. But that's just it: the salt is SUPER addictive!).
I wanted to stop eating munchfood because 1) I wanted 100% clear skin and b) the munchfood made me feel like a junkie--I would finish eating, and then eat a bit more, and more, etc...I could never stop! So I feel your pain.

So, an easy way to quit: spend a day walking/shopping in the city, or hiking in nature, etc.--with just your OJ, and then you'll come home so exhausted, you will just want your "natural" food. The next day, your craving should be 10 times easier to deal with. If not, just grab your OJ and find an excuse to leave the house--obviously without going to restaurants with friends, etc.!, but rather doing something active--until you come home exhausted and just want to sleep.
A more extreme, but effective, way to quit a munchfood: overindulge on it for a day until you're completely sick of it. Seriously, eat it, bathe in it, just eat so much your stomach hurts, Then swear it off forever--this will be easy.

It sucks being so sensitive! But it definitely gets better the longer on this diet, at least for me; I find it easier to resist, because I've "been there, done that" and know my body doesn't like it. It's cool to feel that!
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

In the beginning I had the same cravings...pizza, pasta, potato chips, etc. I avoided eating those, but allowed myself to eat the chips when I couldn't hold it any longer. Then I changed the chips with additives for chips with only potatoes, oil and salt. Soon after that, the chips didn't taste that good anymore, so I could easily stop eating them.

Hope this helps, and good luck! :)
slea

Post by slea »

Today was a much better day but then I started craving Indian food. That is what I crave, spicy foods. I haven't gone off the deep end yet though! I think I just need to keep my self busy like everyone suggested.
Sula, I now know for a fact that is why people are so addicted to processed foods, because of the crap they put in it to make us crave it. It is literally a drug! It affects me badly. I get headaches and swell up when a food has too much msg. Sometimes it even gives me heart palpatations. You know it's addctive because you never want to eat fruit or egg yolks like that. I would hardly have an appetite if I would have never been exposed to that crap!!
Bambi, I wish pizza was on the diet! Just kidding. But yes, it's my biggest craving. I know what you mean about things tasting different when you have been on the diet for a while. The crazy thing is that even though you want the food so bad, it grosses me out when I am eating or looking at it sometimes.
How I did the 20 days the first time, is after my period I have no appetite so I missed the cravings part. I litterally didn't even crave the pizza the first night that I ate it. I just thought, "I'll just have a peice or two then back on track". But, after I ate it, all my will power was gone! That easy!! I tried the same game plan, but this time my cravings did not go away when my cycle stared. My luck.

Any way, I want to get back to 100% because that is the only way I keep my weight loss going and my cellulite away. I can have a bite or two of chocolate and that is no biggie, but any thing else and my body bloats up and I loose control. To me loosing control is not being able to go cold turkey with out eating junk food. I don't even eat too much of it, just a little and it makes me feel like crap. I can eat all I want cooked and maintain a weight of 120 lbs, but I get cellulite and look bloated. I'm only 5"2 and want to get to 110. I'm at 115 right now. I lost five pds in the 20 days I was 100%.
Bambi726

Post by Bambi726 »

Slea ~ Did/do you notice a big difference with your cellulite while on Wai's diet? I noticed only a little change my first time around (for 5-6 weeks) but I may have made mistakes. Not with what foods I ate - unless some of the fish I had at Japanese restaurants were frozen even when they didn't think they were - but with eating too much, and perhaps too much fiber. I keep track of what I eat on selfdietclub.com and last time I would sometimes even get up to 2400 calories because for some reason I was under the impression that I had to eat a big cucumber-avo-oo-tomato salad with a big plate of fruit for dinner. I know that doesn't cause cellulite, but I was constipated during the diet as well, most likely from too much fiber, and that could have caused me not to lose the cellulite.

I'm on my 3rd 100% Wai day now, and I've been keeping to 1700-1900 calories, and I've lost two pounds already so I'm pretty excited :)(I haven't even been exercising, but am going to begin walking and jogging) I've gained about 15 unwanted pounds in the past 6 months or so and am hoping to lose it pretty quickly, and get back down to my feel-good weight of about 125. (I'm 5'10",very small frame)

I crave the spicy Thai food - luckily, they also serve some quality sashimi at my favorite Thai food place, so I can go to dinner with my sister and still follow Wai's diet, though the coconut soups are really tempting. Good job on having a better day today! Hopefully, after your next period you'll be able to get back in the groove and not have such bad cravings.

Oh, yeah, last night my fiance had pizza (from my favorite place) and I NEARLY caved, but then I decided to make a cucumber, etc. salad and eat an orange and half a banana and said if my craving is still this strong after I eat all of that good food, then I will have 1/2 a piece of pizza(It was a pretty strong craving). I ate all of the good food, and afterwards I craved some banana with egg yolk much more than I craved that pizza! :) Woo hoo! Another craving squashed. Maybe that will work for you, too.

~Amber
slea

Post by slea »

Hi Amber! Well, I have known about this diet for two years come April. I am a big time health nut and I have been trying all sorts of diets until I found out about Wai and RRM's research and it was like I finall found the truth. It's funny but I never had to worry about cellulite until a year or more ago. I never did this diet a true 100% because I never had a weight problem and my acne which was cystic, I treated with accutane in my twenties. (sorry liver!) Bad, I know, but I didn't know any better. I wish I knew about this back then, and I would be a totally different person, literally! I started following this diet because it just made perfect sense to me and I thought I could get in better health and loose a few unwanted vanity pounds.

I am really proud of your denying the power of the pizza! I however, let my guard down and had fried peppers and onions, avocado and corn tortillias! Not too bad, but definately a munch food. I thought it would be better than a junk food meal!

As for the cellulite, it almost goes away when I am 100%. I don't have a lot, only on the back of my behind. I didn't used to have any until I got into my thirties! When I am 100 % I stick to bananas, avos, small amount of dried fruit, olive oil, egg yolks and fish two times a week. I love Thai food too! Sounds like we have the same taste buds! lol I think I will try your trick, to eat 100% first. THEN, if I can't restrain my self, I'll have some! That is a great idea! Keep me updated on your progress and maybe we can compare notes. I'm the only person I know who will even try this diet. I'm from Oklahoma and everyone here is a junk food junkie! Everyone thinks I am from another planet! lol
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Everyone thinks I am from another planet! lol
From all the mail we have received in the years I know most of us can very much relate to this!
<starwars tune>
Hmm, maybe we ARE aliens, planted here as unknowing undercover agents, activated by this diet? 8)
</starwars tune>
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Yeah I used to be a sleeper agent too, but I got activated accidentally, and did some weird things (see pic) until the diet made me regain my senses... ;)

huntress

Post by huntress »

LOL Oscar! :lol:

Sleeper agent huh? Well... I was recruited last year by some unknown but powerful force which drove me to waisays.com and I am currently still training as an agent. :wink:
Cairidh

Post by Cairidh »

The only way for me not to have cravings is for me not to eat any cooked food for a long time. If I eat a little drop then that sets the physical cravings off terribly, whereas if I'm 100% raw I don't crave cooked food at all. It doesn't look like food, it looks like plastic. I don't want to eat it any more than I want to eat cardboard.

I suggest you read the book 12 Steps to Raw Food by Victoria Boutenko, where she says exactly the same thing. She says 2 months is the magical timeframe. After 2 months you don't crave any more. I don't think it was that long for me.
However she advocates dehydrated food, and dehydrated food has the same affect on me as cooked food - it makes me feel like I've got a hole in my head instead of a face, and makes me crave cooked food extremely. :(

I don't think there's any other way to stop cravings - unless you're 100% raw you're always going to crave cooked food.
But I suspect cravings woud be worse the more junky the food is (anyone noticed this?) so perhaps you could try stick to healthy munch food.

Some people say energy soup stops cravings for all nasty things (cigerettes, alcohol, junk food) - this is 6 cups of sprouted sunflower greens, 1 avocado, and 1 apple blended together. It's the greens in it - consuming lots of greens of all kinds, stops cravings, because they balance your body. If you can't manage to eat energy soup (it doesn't taste nice) try green smoothies - leafy greens such as spinach, kale, weeds, blended with fruit and 1 cup water. Greens and blends aren't allowed on Wai's diet but they could be your munch food. Also wheatgrass juice.

The thing that helped me most was the mindshift when I stopped thinking of cooked food as food - eating that slice of pizza is like eating a slice of carboard. Carboard is natural, it's made from a tree, a tree is a plant, so why not eat it? Do you really want to put cardboard in your body? Do you really want to put pizza in your body?
slea

Post by slea »

Cairidh,

Actually, I have that book and I've read it. I've read several raw books and I know so much about what cooked food does to your body that I can't believe I still even want it! I know that if I can just get off the stuff long enough, that the cravings do go away. I mainly eat cooked when family and friends are around because they give me such a hard time that I feel like maybe I am being a little too strict. Peer pressure! But, for me, cooked food is my worst enemy and probally no one else that I know realises how much it affects them either because they have never tried raw. Once you try raw, it opens your eyes. And yes, cooked food is like plastic to me also, but I fall into the cravings way too easy. As I said earlier, even when I sit down to eat it, it visually looks yuk to me, but I still eat it. And, while I eat it, all I can do is think about how it is aging me and ruining my body. That right there is proof that it is very addictive.

I was drinking the green smoothies, baby spinach, orange, banana, for a few weeks but I stopped craving them. I think I will start giving them another try, because they do make you feel saited.

RRM and Oscar, you guys are too funny! Maybe instead of aliens we are a different race brought together here at the Wai Talk forum to change the world one banana at a time! lol
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

slea wrote:Maybe instead of aliens we are a different race brought together here at the Wai Talk forum to change the world one banana at a time! lol
Sounds like:
:o
Cairidh

Post by Cairidh »

My mum calls me "the chimp" because I eat so many bananas and oranges. If chimps come on TV she says your relatives are on.