Fighting cravings for munch food

Challenges and trouble-shooting
Cairidh
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by Cairidh »

Slea

I was like that too *nods emphatically*
I couldn't stop, I was hopeless, willpower wouldn't help at all.
I'd probably still be like that, the thing that got me off it was my Grandpa died, and because of grief I couldn't eat, so I stopped eating for a couple of weeks and this got my body clean enough to give me a fighting chance. After that I was able to fight the addiction with willpower, and by being aware that a) it's an addiction and I have to fight it and I have to be 100%, I can't eat cooked "just this once" and every time I was going to I would think of my Grandpa and b) it's not food it's an object, and I might as well eat a bicycle, or a shoe.
If my Grandpa hadn't died I'm sure I'd still be on it, while it was in my body, I was helpless against it.

Weird thing was the first time I went raw I had no problem with it - no cravings, no difficulty not eating cooked. Physically anyway. Pyschologically it was difficult - not because I wanted to eat it, I didn't, but because of the peer pressure, I couldn't cope with that at all. I'd always been really traditional and conventional and conservative, I couldn't cope with following this "weird" alternative diet. I just wanted to be normal! And I couldn't cope with all the comments and with people telling me I was annorexic. And in the end I was firmly convinced I WAS annorexic, and I felt so guilty, like I'd committed a huge crime, and in the end I couldn't cope with it, and this was why I started eating cooked food again. And whoosh! Not only was I very ill and poisoned, I also craved cooked food horrendously. Terrible physical cravings, in every cell of my body, which were impossible to ignore, and which made it impossible for me to stop eating cooked food. This baffled me because I'd never craved it before.
When I ate cooked food (my whole life from when I was a baby) I never craved cooked food, when I then stopped eating it and ate 100% raw I didn't crave cook food. But when I started it again after being raw WHAM.

Which all just proves it's a drug.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Cairidh wrote:My mum calls me "the chimp" because I eat so many bananas and oranges. If chimps come on TV she says your relatives are on.
LOL :lol:
Bambi726

Post by Bambi726 »

Alright, for some reason now I'm having a very tough time staying 100% Wai. This is my second go, as I said before, and the cravings have been quite difficult and I've given in quite a few times now. I don't think it helped that my Great Grandmother passed away (She was 95, and swam nearly everyday until she was about 91 or so :shock: ! - a very wonderful and loving person) Although I will miss her very much, I know she must be enjoying freedom from her old physical body and rejoining her husband, who passed away quite a long while ago (I belive before I was born 22 years ago), which makes me happy. I went to her memorial down in the LA area this past weekend, and since I was staying with family I had to eat with them - and I didn't want to make any fuss, so I just ate their foods. Since I got back, I've been eating about 75% Wai, which is at least an improvement.

Another thing that may be different is the variety, types, and quality of fruits that are available this time of year. When I did the diet last time it was August, and all of my favorite fruits were available - Watermelons, peaches, cantaloupe, strawberries, so it was so much easier, because I found myself looking forward to every meal. Since I'm doing the diet for both my skin and cellulite, I may do the cellulite variation of Wai's diet (2 munch snacks or one munch meal, not to exceed 15g of dirty protein) until more of the fruits that I truly enjoy begin to come into season, which should only be a couple of months. It would be nice to be at least cellulite free by June! And perhaps I'll find an alternative way to deal with the acne in the meantime (a natural way, of course - no meds for me - Ick!;)). All this is probably the addiction talking, but I truly did great on the diet when there were ample fruits available, so perhaps that really is the problem for me at this time :?:

Slea - How are you doing with your cravings? I hope they've up and left!

Take care,
Amber
slea

Post by slea »

Bambi- I hear ya. I'm sorry to hear about your great-grandmother. We just found out my grand mother has lung cancer. I hope you cheer up soon!

In what you said about fruits, fruit that is good, meaning juicy and sweet, is a big factor in my staying raw. Where I live there is a good selection, but I get it home and it tastes awful! It's like it looks good, but it usually tastes bland, dry- you get the picture. All we have here in Oklahoma are pecan, walnut trees, peach, apples, cherries and they aren't in season! At our organic store, the fruit is wayyyy expensive and usually all shrivled up. I mainly eat oranges, bananas (I eat at least three a day), eggs/salmon, rasins, dates, avos, walnuts, almonds and mangoes when they are good. I make a lot of almond milk smoothies too. My fav breakfast. I want to move closer to a beachy area where there is fresher cheaper produce, but the family would freak and I would have no one to take care of my 6 year old daughter. It's a dream I have daily.

Well, I have been 100% TODAY. It's only noon. lol I've been 80% this week. I am shooting for an 100% day. I ate dinner at a bunko party last night and I had the WORST stomach ache that kept me up until 3am. Ugghh! THAT made me wake up a little! I thought to myself "why, why am I torturing my self this way?!?" Geeezz~

On a better note, I've been doing some weight training, using The FIRM videos, once a week and my cellulite looks better. I'm going to up it to twice a week, but I try not to over do the exercise after what Wai said about it.

I'll try to send some "will power" vibes your way! Take care!

Cairidh,

And "they" wonder why we have an obesity problem? That just makes me angry!! It's nice to come here and talk to others that understand and feel the same way and have been there.
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

Hello all,

Just wanted to say, these posts are really interesting. I can relate to your situations too! My hugest craving (in the munchfood department) is organic dark chocolate... I can eat slabs of this in one go! Fortunately I often eat this after a long walk, so it doesn't affect my weight, but I realise that long-term consumption of these stimulants (sugar, caffeine, theobromine) isn't good for my health. I know Wai says that when you pick munchfood, you should disregard everything you know about what is 'healthy' and what isn't. You should just pick the munchfoods that contain the most fat and sugars, and the least 'dirty' protein, and which are the most satisfying. Chocolate is the most satisfying, in my opinion, but is it really wise to consume this stuff regularly (i.e. twice a week), for life? Surely it outweighs all the good this diet is doing otherwise? ... hmmmm..... not ready to take the plunge into Gavriel's 100% realm yet.
sula58

Post by sula58 »

He he, notice we're all women. Do you guys think women have a more difficult time with cravings? You know...because of our constant flux of hormones? (and our "emotional issues"? kidding...even though that's what most women, at least in the U.S., think. Seems pretty unbelievable, knowing what we know, huh?)

I grew up in a house full of sisters, and once every couple weeks our Dad would have to add "pickles, ice cream, marzipan", etc. to the bottom (I'm sure people thought he had a pregnant wife and/or a house full of daughters at home, poor guy).

Anyway, I remember Wai or RRM saying that hormones and appetite stimulators are closely connected...so maybe that's why it's "more tough" for women. :P (even if I'm wrong, let me whine about it!)
sula58

Post by sula58 »

...to the bottom of the grocery list, that is (sorry, I should've edited!)
nick

Post by nick »

I think females are more sensitive. They feel deeper compared to men on the average. They are more emtional which should be read that perhaps they feel deeper, which is not a bad thing at all. I have noticed this happening to me on this diet, the ability to feel deeper and more emotional connected to myself.

So when it comes to cravings I think since you have hormone fluctuations and a stronger sensitivity to 'taste enhancers' that this may be on the average stronger in women.

I think all of this is good, because I would be pretty lonely if other 'people' didn't feel this way too!
huntress

Post by huntress »

I would be pretty lonely if other 'people' didn't feel this way too
I agree with you nick. And I could also sense that I am emotionally different now.

Now, my emotions are more stable. I am calmer and even more reserved.
jmbattle

Post by jmbattle »

Well, I must say, I have something of a sweet tooth, but have been rather good in recent weeks at remaining raw. However good chocolate is one thing I simply cannot pass up - CurlyGirl, my sister sent a bar of Green & Black's dark chocolate from home for my birthday; my eyes nearly watered upon eating the first block, it was *that* strong - I have obviously been eating the sub-standard Meiji Black over here for too long!

Slea, may I ask if you use a blender to make your smoothies? I too drink blended bananas with water for breakfast each morning, however RRM and several others argue the agressiveness of the action causes dirty protein ;(

Mmmm... marzipan - gosh, that takes me back to being a child at Christmas - each year my Mother would send me to the local bakery to buy a big block of marzipan for the Christmas cake, only to find half of it eaten, mishapen by finger pinches, by the time I walked home!

Take care,
James
x
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

Hehehe, James, yes, Green & Black's is pretty strong. You know why the brand is so named? The producers of the chocolate wanted to make a product that was organic and environmentally sustainable (hence 'Green') and also a product of high quality, with a large proportion of pure cocoa solids (hence 'Black'). I thought that was pretty cute...!

I LOVE Green & Black's!!! (And no, I don't work for the company.) I, like sula58, just want to have an opportunity to whinge (and rejoice) about my womanly cravings... :-) :-)
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Aha! James and CurlyGirl are brother and sister! The plot thickens! ;)

Kinda funny that you say you've got a sweet tooth, because we already have such a high intake of sugars, so one would think that cravings for more sweet food would be non-existent.
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

Hehehe, Oscar, you trouble-monger... :wink:

Yeah, you'd think the sweet-tooth would have rotted and fallen out by now (so to speak)... oh well! *waiting for that day*
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

I LOVE or is it loved...:? dark bitter chocolat. I haven't had it in a while (say 2 months) but Green and Black's was one of my favorites!
Reading the posts makes my mouth starts to water...
I used to have a sweet tooth but since the diet if I crave something it's still olives...although the last time I tried (last week) they were way too salty and I didn't like them anymore. On the other hand I remember sampling something sweet (cake or candy) and it being way too sweet and the quality of sweetness felt gross.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

sula58 wrote:Do you guys think women have a more difficult time with cravings? You know...because of our constant flux of hormones?
Absolutely.
The sex hormones have great effects on neurotransmitter metabolism, especially that of serotonine, which has enormous effects on our appetite.
Its particularly the changes in hormone levels.