cold...now what?

Challenges and trouble-shooting
Corinne
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

cold...now what?

Post by Corinne »

I came down with a full blown cold 3 weeks into the diet,so just rested and waited it out. I attributed it to detox since it was so early on. Since then I havn't felt any cold symptoms until today. Now, it could very well be just lack of sleep because of the New Year. :D
Is there anything else I can do besides just rest and eat exactly as I usually do? At the moment my throat hurts when I swallow so I made myself a mild "sterrenmix" (anis/licorice) herbal tea to which I added honey and olive oil.
Wai mentions using certain herbs and garlic as medicine. I used to take (raw)garlic when I had a cold. Is this still usefull, good? Is there anything else? :confused:
I know I don't need any extra vitamin C etc... Anybody else still got sick on this diet?
Thanks,
Corinne
"You cannot do something you don't know IF you keep on doing what you know"
F.M. Alexander
nick

Re: cold...now what?

Post by nick »

I remember when I was on this diet for six weeks and then ate some cooked food (pasta with shrimp and sauce) and the next day I got the cold that my brother and sister had had for a week. However since being on this diet strictly for 5 months or so, I have never gotten a cold. I usually will cough if there is something in the air, such as a really strong smell from someone cooking food.

I say keep following what your doing. Not sure about the tea, sounds soothing though.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

The most infuencial factor regarding your defense is sleep.
Second is sleep and third is sleep.
If you never want to be sick, make sure to sleep at least 8 hours every single night. And if you miss out on 1 hour sleep, make up for it in the next few days.
Of course, stress and nutrients are also very important, but to prevent getting ill, you need to make sure to get enough sleep.

ehrrr, did I mention sleep?
nick

Post by nick »

What do you mean by making up that hour of sleep?
I thought that wasn't 'possible'? Maybe in regards to making up for lost sleep the night before. But does that really help?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

@RRM: LOL :D

Years ago they did some research on this, and it turned out that you can indeed make up sleep, but apparently you need less time for making up. So to make up a few hours you would need an hour. I'm not sure if there has been more research with different results more recently. I guess that again we can listen to our bodies, and if you're still sleepy when you get up, you need more sleep. :)
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

zzzzzz...Thanks...zzzzzzzz...RRM...zzzzzzzz........
Sleep! Got it!

I've also heard of a study (a different one) stating the importance of when you sleep. So for instance if you get to sleep before midnight your sleep is of much better quality than if you go to bed after midnight. One of the reasons is that any amount of time you sleep before midnight is doubled. So for instance if you go to sleep at 11pm, that one hour until 12 counts as two. If you wake up at 7 thinking you've got 8 hours of sleep you've in fact gotten an equivalent of 9 hours! It's great if you can manage to get to bed before midnight! the other reason has to do with biorhythms and the earth energies which are different during night and day. I believe this theory comes from the Chinese medicine but I've also heard of it during meditation retreats.

Anyone knows something more about sleeping patterns, rhythms?
:o
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

I have a cough / cold today and I'm thinking I'll take some cough medicine, only because I have to work with kids for a couple of hours and I don't want to be contagious. Basically if I'm not coughing / sneezing, I'm not contagious, right? I didn't have any eggs / fish last night because I'm under the impression that they would slow down my recovery, is that correct? (Although I didn't get home until 3:00, so I couldn't have expected to get better today).

I wish I could just meditate for a couple hours and that would get rid of it :)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Mr. PC wrote:I have a cough / cold today and I'm thinking I'll take some cough medicine, only because I have to work with kids for a couple of hours and I don't want to be contagious.
The cough medicines dont make you less contagious; they just relieve the symptoms a bit.
Basically if I'm not coughing / sneezing, I'm not contagious, right?
Wrong. Its just that the coughing makes the virus spread wider.
I didn't have any eggs / fish last night because I'm under the impression that they would slow down my recovery, is that correct?
No.
Egg yolks are excellent for sick people, as they are very easy to digest while very nutrient dense.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

Thanks for all your replies to my recent questions RRM

My understanding is that most virus spread by leaving the host through coughing/sneezing/wiping nose, than those germs are touched by another person's hands. That person touches their face and the germs enter through the eyes and nose.

If this isn't correct than how do germs spread? I mean generally for common colds and flues.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Mr. PC wrote: If this isn't correct than how do germs spread? I mean generally for common colds and flues.
It is correct, but that doesnt mean that you will not spread the virus if you dont cough or sneeze.
It just means that you will spread it around to a much lesser extent.
The virus will be on you no matter what you do / dont,
and you may infect people no matter what you do / dont.
But when you sneeze / cough, you will fire a cannon filled with virus into the air,
whereas when you dont, it will just be a small trickling.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

you will fire a cannon
RRM you have a good sense of humor! :D
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Thank you 8)
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

If someone who has a flu cough into my OJ, will I then get the flu?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Kookaburra wrote:If someone who has a flu cough into my OJ, will I then get the flu?
The flu is always there for you; where ever you go, there are plenty of viruses around.
Why dont you get sick all the time?
Because you have a strong immune system, eliminating all viruses entering your body.
Also, its not about avoiding viruses such as the flue.
In fact, its much better if you regularly get in contact with various viruses,
so that your defense system is well trained in fighting them.
If you never get in contact with a virus (if you live in a sterile plastic bubble)
your defense doesnt get trained, which makes it very vulnerable in case you encounter a virus.

So, if you worry about getting the flu, make sure your defense is strong, by always sleeping enough,
by consuming raw animal food (which contain small amounts of bacteria) and by regularly getting in contact with viruses
(by mixing / socializing with other people).
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

RRM wrote:
Kookaburra wrote:If someone who has a flu cough into my OJ, will I then get the flu?
Also, its not about avoiding viruses such as the flue.
In fact, its much better if you regularly get in contact with various viruses,
so that your defense system is well trained in fighting them.
So its actually beneficial for me to get in contact with viruses like swine flu?
If you never get in contact with a virus (if you live in a sterile plastic bubble)
your defense doesnt get trained, which makes it very vulnerable in case you encounter a virus.
A sterile plastic bubble doesn't really exist, does it?
and by regularly getting in contact with viruses
(by mixing / socializing with other people).
So it's okay to shake hands with people too?