Pityrosporum Folliculitis and This Diet.....

Challenges and trouble-shooting
curiousz
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Pityrosporum Folliculitis and This Diet.....

Post by curiousz »

OK.

I am starting to suspect that my 'acne' isn't caused by bacterial overgrowth, but may be due to yeast....

Since yeast thrives off sugar, and this diet is relatively high in sugar content...

Does this pose a problem?

Sure, this diet may 'unclog' the pores, but do the pores need to be clogged for yeast overgrowth to occur and subsequent infection?

For more information about this:

http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_d ... folli.html
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

Very good question Curiousz...

I don't have acne but have a form of foot fungus between my toes and spots of it on the soles of my feet.
I've waited for about 6 mounths on the diet to see what would happen: the condition hasn't gotten better since the diet, but also hasn't gotten worse...
So I am wondering if there are certain fruits one needs to avoid (becaue too sweet) on this diet if one has this sort of yeast or fungus condition.
:?:
RRM
Administrator

Re: Pityrosporum Folliculitis and This Diet.....

Post by RRM »

curiousz wrote:OK.

I am starting to suspect that my 'acne' isn't caused by bacterial overgrowth, but may be due to yeast....
First of all, acne isnt caused by bacterial overgrowth, which is only part of the inflammatory response to the clogging and pressure. (not cause, but resulting process)
How would a yeast cause acne?

Since yeast thrives off sugar, and this diet is relatively high in sugar content...
Does this pose a problem?
If you have a yeast, yes, a high carb diet may not be good for you.
Sure, this diet may 'unclog' the pores, but do the pores need to be clogged for yeast overgrowth to occur and subsequent infection?
No.
I dont think that having a yeast has anything to do with clogged pores.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Corinne wrote:So I am wondering if there are certain fruits one needs to avoid (becaue too sweet) on this diet if one has this sort of yeast or fungus condition.
:?:
Its not the contents of sugar what counts, but your sugar intake.
The yeast feeds on sugar, so that you need to keep your blood sugar level as low as possible.
So, you may eat high-sugar fruits, as long as you eat it bit by bit, keeping your blood sugar level low.
Instead of sugar, you need to rely on fats for energy much more. This will make you feel less energetic, by the way. It will also make it harder to monitor your energy requirements, as the 'blood sugar level' can be 'felt' much more clearly than the blood-fatty acids level.
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

Thanks RRM!
So this means that sipping OJ is a good thing for me, as I'll get little intakes consistantly? Also should I stop adding sugar to my OJ and add more OO instead?
When you say rely on fats for energy you mean that (when I need energy) I have to sip pure OO or coco oil instead of eating a fruit?
Or can I just increase the amount of fat when i eat a fruit?
Or I have to experiment with both of the above myself...
:?
curiousz

Post by curiousz »

First of all, acne isnt caused by bacterial overgrowth, which is only part of the inflammatory response to the clogging and pressure. (not cause, but resulting process)
How would a yeast cause acne?
That's why I put 'acne' in quotations.

There's a lot of 'acne' like reactions which we associate with acne, but aren't caused by the typical bacterial overgrowth (as a result of clogged pores and increased sebum production).

However, sebum not only attracts bacteria, but it also attracts yeast and fungus, including the kind which causes pityrosporum.

I don't know what causes pityrosporum folliculitis (if clogged pores play any part, like in acne), which is why I posed that question. Because obviously, as the pores become unclogged, then this yeast problem will also resolve (like acne), despite the fact that the yeast may proliferate off the sugar of this diet.

I think I may take your advice and go strictly on a fat diet...

I hope there aren't any problems with this type of diet, but I don't think it would be hard to meat the calorie requirements...

I'd consume 5 - 10 egg yolks a day, along with a lot of avocados, coconut oil, etc...

This would still be within the 'wai' diet regime, it would just be limiting what i consume to only fat..
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Corinne wrote:So this means that sipping OJ is a good thing for me, as I'll get little intakes consistantly?
You can eat / drink anything, but you need to make sure that your overall sugar intake is lower. So, when you used to take a big or medium sized sip every while, now that sip needs to be smaller, and with more OO in it.
You can eat any fruit, in smaller portions, and it needs to be accompanied with more fat now.
Also should I stop adding sugar to my OJ and add more OO instead?
Exactly.
And indeed, you need to experiment how much less sugar your body can cope with, and still function normally.
Also, you need to find out how much fat you need...
Indeed, a process of trial and error.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

curiousz wrote:
I think I may take your advice and go strictly on a fat diet...

I hope there aren't any problems with this type of diet, but I don't think it would be hard to meat the calorie requirements...
True, but it is much harder to ingest just the right amount, because its easier to 'listen' to your blood sugar level than it is to 'listen' to your blood fatty acid level. (your blood sugar 'speaks more clearly, and louder')
curiousz

Post by curiousz »

Actually, upon further investigation of the type of yeast that is responsible is 'lipophilic", meaning it needs fatty acids to thrive..

not sure how i should go about attacking this, as there isn't much info available.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Yes, indeed.
From http://www.emedicine.com/derm/byname/pi ... ulitis.htm :
"Pityrosporum folliculitis (PF) is a common condition in young or middle-aged adults that involves follicular papulopustules on the upper trunk. Weary et al first described PF in 1969, and Potter et al identified PR as a separate clinical and histologic diagnosis in 1973.
The pathogenic agents in PF are yeasts from the genus Pityrosporum–Pityrosporum orbiculare and Pityrosporum ovale–which are collectively known as Malassezia furfur."
"Malassezia yeasts require free fatty acids to survive. The same yeasts hydrolyze triglycerides into free fatty acids and create long-chain and medium-chain fatty acids from free fatty acids"
So, you would have to keep free fatty acid levels relatively low, as well as your fat deposits, to prevent a greater release of triglycerides.
This diet is a bit harder than the low sugar diet with regards to frequency of food intakes, as you now have less fat at your disposal to support (and balance) your sugar intake. So, with such a low fat diet you would have to further increase the frequence of food intakes, and further decrease the size of the meals.
Also, now your fat intake needs to be spread throughout the day; so no longer consuming all the egg yolks / fish (or avocado / nuts) in one setting, but in small bits...