Walking & feeling depressed

Challenges and trouble-shooting
nick
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by nick »

Tulip wrote:I have another concern. If I start walking regularly, would that increase my glycogen storing capacity? Can it get very low after constant inactivity?

Your muscle glycogen storage can only hold 1200 calories and it can't increase. By emptying them by walking, you decrease the glycogen in the depot, so that when you eat, you'll store them back up eventually.

Did you mean activity? Because they don't get lower after constant inactivity. The longer you walk, the more you'll utilize that stored glycogen, which is predominantly stored in the muscles of your legs, which is why walking is the best way to use em' up.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

The 1200 kcal the muscles can contain is the maximum, if you exercise regularly.
The glycogen from the liver can be reconverted into glucose, but the glycogen from muscles can only be used for muscle energy.
So basically, if all the glycogen depots are full, then inactivity can only deplete the liver glycogen depots, which can hold 400 kcal.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

nick wrote: Your muscle glycogen storage can only hold 1200 calories and it can't increase. By emptying them by walking, you decrease the glycogen in the depot, so that when you eat, you'll store them back up eventually.

Did you mean activity? Because they don't get lower after constant inactivity. The longer you walk, the more you'll utilize that stored glycogen, which is predominantly stored in the muscles of your legs, which is why walking is the best way to use em' up.
In "Fat and Working Out" RRM said that glycogen storage capacity increases with muscle mass.
I did mean inactivity since it goes along with smaller muscles.
I also read on WaiSays that the muscles can store up to 1200 calories if you excercise regularly. But I don't, so I must store a lot less. That means they will be empty fast and I have to eat less to fill them back up, but still eat 400 to keep the liver glycogen full, right?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Tulip wrote: In "Fat and Working Out" RRM said that glycogen storage capacity increases with muscle mass.
Yes, but then there really needs to be an increase in muscle mass.
I believe that there is not that much difference between being active and being only occasionally active, unlike between being very active and totally inactive (laying in hospital, for example).

I dont know about any numbers though, and we dont need to, because your body will tell you how much it needs. Thats because glucose is taken from the blood to store as glycogen, so that there is a renewed need for glucose, which abruptly ends when the glycogen depots are filled. The moment there is no more need for glucose, you will be able to clearly feel that.
So, its about listening to your body again.
If you replenish too little, you will get some of the depressed feeling back again the following day. Try to find the right balance.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Ok, I understand it more now.

Thanks for your help RRM, and everyone else.
Justin

Post by Justin »

The moment there is no more need for glucose, you will be able to clearly feel that.
This is what i'm finding difficult. Does the sweet taste become more of a sickly sensation when the glycogen stores are full? This is the only feeling i can sense.
After drinking around 0.5 litres (+75g sugar + 40 Olive oil) in a short space of time, i no longer like the taste anymore (it becomes sickly and not satisfying) and i stop drinking. Is this because my glycogen stores are full?

Also is there anything wrong with consuming this many calories (800) in a short space of time (say 1 hour)

Sorry for asking so many question, the web is full of so many conflicting opinions and beliefs and i get so confused all the time. I still question this diet all the time even though i've been doing it 100% for 1 year now (and love it). well done RRM.
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

Wow! 100% for a year, Justin! Congrats!

Would you mind indulging us, by letting us know what benefits you enjoy as a result of having followed the diet for a year?
nick

Post by nick »

Justin wrote:Quote:
The moment there is no more need for glucose, you will be able to clearly feel that.

This is what i'm finding difficult. Does the sweet taste become more of a sickly sensation when the glycogen stores are full? This is the only feeling i can sense.
After drinking around 0.5 litres (+75g sugar + 40 Olive oil) in a short space of time, i no longer like the taste anymore (it becomes sickly and not satisfying) and i stop drinking. Is this because my glycogen stores are full?
Instead of drinking such an amount in such a short period of time, try to drink it over a longer period of time. Your body is maybe telling you that that is too much for it at one time. Your body doesn't need that much and prompty tells you that is 'sick' of it. Do you always drink your juice like that?
Also is there anything wrong with consuming this many calories (800) in a short space of time (say 1 hour)
Not if you body needs it after a workout or exhausting activity. Normally I just sip from my OJ as others have this way to be the best when just cruising around for the day doing whatever they gots to do.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Justin wrote:Does the sweet taste become more of a sickly sensation when the glycogen stores are full?
Yes, that means that no more extra glucose should enter the blood. (which indicates full glycogen depots)
I still question this diet all the time even though i've been doing it 100% for 1 year now
In my point of view thats actually a good thing to do!
Justin

Post by Justin »

Instead of drinking such an amount in such a short period of time, try to drink it over a longer period of time. Your body is maybe telling you that that is too much for it at one time. Your body doesn't need that much and prompty tells you that is 'sick' of it. Do you always drink your juice like that?
When i say sickly, i don't mean sick i just mean the delicious sweet taste no longer tastes that good anymore. so i stop drinking.
i want lots of stored glycogen so when i decide to exercise i can perform at my best. if i sip all day, i don't get enough stored energy.

I dont know about any numbers though, and we dont need to, because your body will tell you how much it needs. Thats because glucose is taken from the blood to store as glycogen, so that there is a renewed need for glucose, which abruptly ends when the glycogen depots are filled. The moment there is no more need for glucose, you will be able to clearly feel that
Is it possible to have your liver and muscle glycogen stores full and have a low blood sugar level?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Justin wrote: Is it possible to have your liver and muscle glycogen stores full and have a low blood sugar level?
To some extend, but not really low, as liver glycogen is reconverted into glucose as the blood glucose level decreases.