Walking & feeling depressed

Challenges and trouble-shooting
Tulip
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Walking & feeling depressed

Post by Tulip »

I've been having a problem. Every time I go out for a walk, I feel extremely tired and depressed the next two days. I first noticed this around the time I started Wai's diet, when I also began wearing high heels. I don't recall having this problem before, though I did feel more depressed in general. More importantly, I go out a lot less now than I did before. I drink juice with oil for walking and try to eat enough. I haven't tried wearing flats yet, since I'm not sure that's the answer.

Is it because of all the extra energy use and strain of walking in heels, or something else?

Also, is it true that wearing them over time can cause neuromas, foot deformities and osteoarthritis from pressure on the knee, along with other problems?
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

Hi Tulip,
I don't know whether there's a connection between walking and your depression, but I would think not. Walking generally makes me feel very cheerful indeed, and I'm sure many others on the forum would agree.

May I ask why you are wearing high heels? Is it for work? If so, then perhaps you could try walking around in lower-heeled shoes (ideally some nice walking shoes) and then putting on the heels when you arrive at work and need to look 'professional.' I personally detest high heels, and haven't worn them much in my life apart from my high-school prom (when my feet hurt so much I wanted to die!). I think your suspicions about their contribution to various health problems are probably correct, though of course this depends on the height of the heel. Obviously, 6-inch heels are just a recipe for disaster, but I believe that wearing totally flat shoes is also not good; the best is a heel of 1 inch, like most men's smart-shoes.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I don't think there is/should be a connection between high heels and being depressed. It's a sign from the body that you lack nutrients and/or sleep. Make sure you get enough sugars, fats, and cholesterol, and not too much protein and munchfood.

For more info: http://www.youngerthanyourage.com/13/index.html.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Tulip,

The most frequently made mistake when starting this diet, is not constantly consuming sufficient energy.

The moment your blood-sugar level goes down too much, you will start feeling depressed. And with this diet, you are not eating large meals anymore, so that you need to eat much, much more often to keep your blood sugar level up.

Besides that, also consuming sufficient cholesterol and fat is essential.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

CurlyGirl,
I wear heels because they make me feel more elegant and strong. Plus, I like the sensation. It is not such a painful thing once you find the right shoe. The correct posture and balance adjustments are also key. But some pain is inevitable.
I agree that shoes need some arch support, and I plan on trying some lower heels very soon.
And it's not that I feel depressed right after walking, because it makes me cheerful as well.

Oscar,
I think my nutrient intake in good in general. I follow the diet pretty strictly, without munchfood. Why I think it's related to walking is because the same thing happens like clockwork.

RRM,
I try to sip sugared juice every chance I get when active. But I get depressed the next day, even when I'm keeping my blood sugar up. I even tried eating twice as much, but it didn't really help.

Could it have something to do with empty glycogen stores that I didn't fill back up yet?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Hmmm, I'm not sure how you could eat twice as much that easily...I would never be able to do that. Could you give us a list of what you'd normally eat on a day?
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Well, I was eating about 1700 calories a day when inactive, and about 2000 when walking. Not exactly twice, but sometimes.
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

Have you checked your diet with the nutrient calculator, Tulip? Are you absolutely sure you are getting enough fats and healthy cholesterol to prevent depression?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Tulip wrote: Could it have something to do with empty glycogen stores that I didn't fill back up yet?
Yes, absolutely.
Once your glycogen depots are empty, you dont have the glycogen to back up your blood sugar level, so that it will go down much more readily, causing depression.
So, indeed, you should focus on ingesting more sugars while walking, or you can save that to consume a 'munch food meal' after walking.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I think you could use more calories. I'm not sure what your build is, but 1700 seems kinda low to me. Depending on the calculator I myself get about 3000 calories, and I'm not super active.
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

Indeed, Oscar. I eat about 2500kcal, even on days when I don't walk much.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

CurlyGirl,
I check the calculator occasionally, and could use more vitamins but I feel I definitely get enough fats and egg yolks. I'm not normally depressed.

I still haven't figured out how to know what to eat before submitting that day to the calculator. It's confusing because I eat different amounts day to day.

RRM,
That's what I thought. Ok, I will focus on consuming more energy while walking from now on. High carb munch food meals have helped a few times, too.

Oscar,
It is a bit low, but have a small builf and literally sit all day long, besides walking back and forth to the kitchen and stuff. I don't go outside usually. I know, sunlight deficiency. My blood sugar feels right this way, if I eat every hour and sip juice.
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

I'm not that active daily and I get also like CG around 2500 Kcal a day.
Yesterday I took a long walk and just sipped OJ every 15 to 20 min and was fine! 8)
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I have another concern. If I start walking regularly, would that increase my glycogen storing capacity? Can it get very low after constant inactivity?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Tulip wrote:If I start walking regularly, would that increase my glycogen storing capacity?
The glycogen storage is in the liver and the muscles. More walking would give you a bit more muscles, but not that much, I would think.
Tulip wrote:Can it get very low after constant inactivity?
It depends on your intake of energy to replenish the blood sugar and glycogen. If you would empty the depots by not ingesting enough energy to keep your blood sugar level up, then yes.