Is this diet too boring?

Challenges and trouble-shooting
spring
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Is this diet too boring?

Post by spring »

I fell off the bandwagon six months ago, and I have gained a huge amount of weight. I am trying to go back on it but find it extremely hard to do. I think the main problem with the diet is the sheer boredom. Where I am, in Korea, there is not that much variety of fruit. At the moment, I have watermelon, yellow melon and a bucket of tomatoes in the fridge. I also have store-bought orange juice. Oranges are too expensive and aren't always in season. Eating just these foods all day with a few egg yolks is not my idea of fun. I kept close to it for three months and achieved good weight loss (the main reason I am on the diet), but I don't think I am able to keep up the discipline for long term.

HELP!!
andyville

Post by andyville »

spring:

In my experience, realizing great changes in life takes a lot of discipline. It does not matter whether the change has to do with improving your diet, modifying your behavior, becoming a more peaceful person - the very definition of changing one's behavior is to overcome old conditioning, and this can be a tough and sometimes frustrating process. The bottom line, in my experience, is that you will never be able to improve yourself if you are not willing to discipline yourself, no matter what diet or philosophy you might stumble upon.
huntress

Post by huntress »

Spring, :D

It will be difficult to go back if you attempt to do it drastically. In other words, go cooked today, Wai tomorrow = impossible. So rather than taking drastic measures into your diet, why not do it slowly...

Try this by slowly eliminating the most harmful cooked food in your current diet and substituting it with some raw food. You might want to slowly start at 10% raw 90% cooked then slowly move to 20% raw then 50% then eventually 100%.

I know Koreans love grilling meat especially beef, and we know grilling creates unnatural toxins in the meat so maybe it's a good idea to cut that one out first. I also know that Korean's rahmen(sp?) noodles are really tasty but it's heavily sprikled with food additives so cut that one out too.
Just go through your daily average diet and cut out the most harmful ones first then slowly and gradually go full fledge raw.

I'm sorry to see that the food quantity and quality is poor there. But since you are doing this diet for weight, then why not add some vegetables in (lightly steamed or raw), since there is no choice. It seems (to me at least) to be the least harmful way. I understand how dull it can be with just those foods as your only choice, but I think by adding some more variations into the diet like vegetables, it will not throw you off track by adding OTHER more harmful and even lethal foods like potato chips or deep fried foods.

Hang in there spring. Remember to start slow. Good luck! :wink:
andyville

Post by andyville »

spring:

I think huntress's advice is right in most cases, however I am the kind of person who always takes an everything or nothing, either or, black or white approach to life, which turns out to be quite ineffective at times, but that is just the way I am. When I decided to start Wai, I made a clean cut and quit as many of my old food habits as possible right away. I love the feeling of throwing out bad habits and form new ones - to start from square one again (hopefully one that is different from the previous square one) is very reviving and inspiring.

So - what I am trying to say is that anyone who is an "either or person" like me, might benefit from quitting the SAD (or whatever other bad diet you were on before going Wai) cold turkey.
rischott

Post by rischott »

Leave Korea like I did....
spring

Post by spring »

Haha .. I am thinking of doing that. I am reaching a watershed point in my life in Korea at the moment. I was all gung-ho about it up until recently but I kind of feel claustrophobic at the moment - I am not used to living in the big smoke.

Were you ever on Dave's ESL Cafe, rischott? Just curious - what was your handle there?

I am thinking of getting my parents to ship some avocadoes and some mangoes or other nice fruits in season to my place in Korea. Maybe that will get me over the dip I am in at the moment.