Water retention

Challenges and trouble-shooting
sabie
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Water retention

Post by sabie »

I'm having the worst time losing weight I gained a few months back when I ate too much fatty munch food after losing too much weight on the strict diet. Even though I am watching what I eat I cannot do anything about the water retention. It really has been bad since I went on Wai and my body seems to have a mind of it's own now. When I first went off the strict I got edema a few times, my calfs and ankles blew right up. My rings never fit me anymore, I'm not really sure what to do. And no, I didn't have this before I went on Wai. I would get up in the morning and my rings may have been a little tight but they would always go on after I was up for a while. Any suggestions? I think I'm having a hard time keeping my blood sugar balanced but I doubt my blood sugar was ever balanced before I went on this.
Agent

Post by Agent »

Maybe if you type up what and when you eat a day this could help identify the problem.
avo

Post by avo »

Try completely eliminating salt and high-sodium foods. So celery and most munch foods are out. Make sure your drinking water is low sodium as well.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Indeed your body may react quite extremely when you go off the strict diet. This is especially true for water retention since a shift in water balance can already be caused by a small change in diet when that diet has been very low in protein, sats etc.

The best thing to do: find the level of 'strictness' that you can cope with for the rest of your life. then apply that and stick to it. then the water retention will disappear.
Diet changes are worst, so for you no 'going of and on the diet'; you need to find the level that suits you, and stick to that.
sabie

Post by sabie »

Yes, my body is the boss now. I can't eat without thinking about it as I will pay. The only munch food I eat is steamed potatoes or yams or sweet potatoes and sometimes a macaroon or some banana chips (organic with added sugar). My water retention has been around for a long time, nothing new but this is worse, I can't wear my rings at all. I agree RRM and that is what I have been trying to do, figure out what my body will accept as I see that it doesn't like surprises anymore. I use no salt or spices, I actually eat nothing processed except for the banana chips (only a few at a time). I need to get rid of all this extra fat I gained from eating all that "good" fatty food a few months back so I have to figure out balance. What do you guys think of blood sugar monitors?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

The best blood sugar monitor is your body. All you need to do, is to learn how to read its signals. If you eat lots of very small meals very frequently, trying to listen to your immediate need for energy, you will automatically get better at it as time passes by. Try to always be aware of how energetic you feel, and when you are running out of it. Then try to prevent running out of energy; to be a little ahead of it all the time. It doesnt matter if you fail a lot of times, as long as you keep on trying, because then you will get better at it anyway.
There is really nothing to it, except for investing some time (which will not take any time away from any other 'activities' anyway) and that is exactly what your body needs to get back to normal water management.
sabie

Post by sabie »

true, it has taken me since January but I am at last starting to get the idea..I think! I'm sure the eating disorder has gotten in the way but I now no longer eat fruit after munch food and I think I generally track what I am eating in my mind more so that I don't end up with indigestion. The acne is beyond me I must say so if I can keep my digestion working right I feel that's good enough for now. I guess the struggling, as usual is what teaches you but my long history of abusing my system (eating disorder) means I have already taxed my organs and who knows what is happening in there.
Now that I'm on these painkillers I'm wondering if I should try orange juice again because it's been 4 days since the accident and my body hasn't done anything and I have been eating, just less. My tummy is hard and pushed out and I'm not sure if I'm clogged cause of my messed up ribs or just the drugs I'm taking (I'm eating bananas, avocadoes, olive oil, raw fish, organic caly figs and black mission figs, dates (not much at once for dried fruit), local fresh blueberries. rasberries and some blackberries, apricots and some steamed potatoes with olive oil) I have always eaten small amounts all day since I started this though at work it was harder. Now that I'm injured I am eating less of course (not biking etc) and eating before I take the IBProfen. Maybe juicing will help. I read the post about the "ripe" oranges and maybe in the winter the ones I was eating weren't ripe and that's why I was having so many problems. Should I find ones that have a soft spot on them. I mean, how the heck do you tell?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

sabie wrote:Now that I'm on these painkillers I'm wondering if I should try orange juice again because it's been 4 days since the accident and my body hasn't done anything ...
I dont understand your question as to how taking OJ relates to not doing anything...
I read the post about the "ripe" oranges ... , how the heck do you tell?
Often you cant tell by how they look, so that you need to taste one first.
The sweeter they taste, the better they have ripened.
sabie

Post by sabie »

oh sorry, I meant I am not having any bowel movements so I thought maybe juicing oranges would help that. Thanks
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

If you are not having any bowel movements, it may mean that:
1) there is nothing to deport (which likely is the case if you mostly drink pressed juices
2) you are constipated

1) is nothing to worry about. No waste to deport simply means you dont have to put the garbage outside
2) This is always caused by too much sedatives, and NEVER by a lack of fiber. Its only because fiber have opposite effects to those sedatives that people think constipation is caused by a lack of fiber.
What works against constipation?
Consuming less sedative chemicals (beta-carbolines in cooked food and opioid peptides in wheat and dairy products). anything else is just fighting symptoms.
slea

Post by slea »

Sabie,

I just wanted you to know, that pain killers are very bowel sedating and can cause dehydration AND water retention at the same time. They are usually an opioid base. I am constipated for days even after I stop taking them and they dehydrate and bloat me at the same time because of the constipation. If you must take them, drink a lot of fluids. As much as you can handle in the form of juices. Make sure you get good fats to help the bowel work.
sabie

Post by sabie »

Hi Slea, thanks, I'm eating well but I'm not driniking quite enough water (though, I am drinking at least 5 glasses a day). I am taking as little of the pain killers as possible but boy am I bloated. Drank some Aloe Vera juice w/pear juice and water and that helped move me but everytime I eat anything I get a pushed out tummy. RRM, I am only eating a tiny amount of steamed potatoes about three times a week and I buy a lovely bakery macaroon and eat it over several days for a treat. I always have some olive oil whenever I eat fruit so I'm not really eating badly, I just don't think I'm getting my blood sugar balanced enough yet. I am starting to eat more eggs though so maybe that will help. I was skipping the eggs too much before.