Just fruits and nuts? or plus egg yolks?

Challenges and trouble-shooting
andyville
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Just fruits and nuts? or plus egg yolks?

Post by andyville »

Hey Guys,

Since coming back from my Vipassana retreat a couple of weeks ago, I have been eating only fruits such as oranges, water melons and so on - no eggs, no nuts, no nothing. I know this is not a very sustainable diet, considering the lack of certain minerals and other nutritients, and I am planning on adding more foods to my diet quite soon. However, I feel a bit hesitant to go back to the egg yolks. When egg yolks made up a big part of my diet, I had a feeling that my stomach always got a bit swollen up from gas right after consuming them, and also I never really loved the taste of them in the first place.

My question is this; do you think going "nut and fruits only" for a while would be a wise decision? Has anybody tried this? Obviously when it comes to making decisions like these, personal experience is what matters the most. However, it would also be interesting to discuss how the vegan nut and fruit diet ranks from a nutritient perspective. I suspect that it might be lacking B12, cholesterol and vitamin D...?

Any input is much welcome! :)
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

And omega-3 fats too. Did you try mixing the yolks with something? And what about fish?
andyville

Post by andyville »

Fish is out of the question for me, because I don't like it. Blending egg yolks with orange juice is okey, I guess - that's probably the only reasonable way for me to ingest any animal food.

Oscar and/or RRM:

Do you know what's the latest word on the whole B12 debate? Is animal food needed or not? I guess the topic is so controversial that consensus might never be reached...
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I haven't really looked into it, but as far as I know you do need animal food for vit. B12. Apparently we have a stock of B12 in our body, which lasts years, and for some reason the absorption of B12 isn't high. What this means in still uncertain, I think.
But maybe RRM has more info.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

The absorption rate is indeed low, simply because we need so little. And because we can store quite some B12, and need so little, we can go without it for years.
Eventually, however, consuming no animal food at all you will develop a B12 deficiency (unless you 'cheat' every once and a while, maybe even without knowing).