Muscle spasms

Challenges and trouble-shooting
razza
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Muscle spasms

Post by razza »

Recently I've had some slight muscle spasms--it happens especially to one of my eyelids. I have heard this caused by lack of calcium in your diet. Any ideas on how I can make it go away? In the past I was drinking green smoothies and wheatgrass for nutrients/minerals, but I am trying to stick to the sample diet for a few weeks, so I am no longer doing those.

thanks, razza
avo

Post by avo »

Does calcium even have anything to do with muscles?

Sorry that I cannot help, but what I do know is that I used to get those, but not since following wai. Now I only get the occasional 'shudders,' I don't think there is a definitive answer why.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Calcium does have something to do with muscle contractions, but as far as I know, the calcium ions aren't used up. They are in the Sarcoplasmatic Reticulum, and when the muscle needs to contract, the ions are transported to the muscle filaments. When the muscle needs to relax, they are transported back to the SR, to wait for the next contraction.

All this activity needs ATP, energy, so I could imagine that a lack of energy has something to do with these involuntary spasms, rather than a lack of calcium.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Oscar wrote:Calcium does have something to do with muscle contractions... When the muscle needs to relax, they are transported back to the SR, to wait for the next contraction.
And the important nutrient for muscle relaxation is magnesium.
By their fruits shall ye know them.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

What happens to everybody on this diet, is that they become more sensitive to any destabilising influence. Including energy fluctuations.
haraldsmith

hello

Post by haraldsmith »

i have the exact same thing, but it didnt happen on this diet, its been happening for like a year, i've just been living with it. my left eyelid twitchs every so often for a bit. im wondernig if its a lack of sleep..
avalon

Post by avalon »

Just for info:

The below refs mention stress and maybe caffeine???

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency ... 000756.htm

http://www.kellogg.umich.edu/patientcar ... pasms.html

If you're getting leg cramps, nocturnal or say when stretching in the morning, this is more likely calcium problem.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

avalon wrote:If you're getting leg cramps, nocturnal or say when stretching in the morning, this is more likely calcium problem.
How so?
avalon

Post by avalon »

I don't mean to imply 'calcium' is the sole culprit, just could be. I learned this back when I was on the induction phaze of Atkins in the 90s and I would get leg cramps. He recommended supplements of magnesium and calcium I believe to help with them.

It's not just on Atkins apparently if you search the net. But since razza mentioned calcium, it rang a bell.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I don't really understand why calcium could be the cause, unless someone's calcium intake would be extremely low or zero. Can you please explain?
avalon

Post by avalon »

Who me? I'm just the messenger :?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Yeah you! ;D

I assume you think or reason things out, no? Otherwise it's just something being true because Dr X says so. And we all know what kind of things most doctors advice nowadays... :?

But maybe that's just my way of working. :)
avalon

Post by avalon »

okay, I'll spend this little time on this little reply to honestly say, I deliberately wrote 'Who me' because it's really not very difficult to find out why. You've got a computer and if you want to kow you can find out :wink:

Now of course, whether you chose to believe the reasons is anybodys guess. And, they may not be applicable to razza's situation anyway. It's all about the search for the truth isn't it? ... or we can live blissfully ignorant perhaps shorter lives, and probably be happier for it... ehh, until it starts to hurt and stuff.

I'm still working on the whole- Lot turning to a pillar of salt thing :shock:
avalon

Post by avalon »

Here's a little bitty that doesn't mention calcium or magnesium at all :shock:

http://www.postgradmed.com/issues/2002/ ... cramps.htm

Hi razza, guess we've run with your spams quite a distance. Not to fret, Oscar and I have a history of this sorta thing 8)

Too bad we can't hang out in a local Pub and debate for a few hours now and then. I miss those days at Harvard, arguing for gravity, the morgellons quandry and of course the infamous migration of the blood sucking eelnoonan worm in Southern Transylvania :twisted:
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

avalon wrote:okay, I'll spend this little time on this little reply to honestly say, I deliberately wrote 'Who me' because it's really not very difficult to find out why. You've got a computer and if you want to kow you can find out :wink:
Ah yeah, the easy answer, avoid any discussion. Okidoke. ;D