Barefoot running & Alexander Technique

Breathing, sleeping, running, meditation, yoga, relaxation
Mellis
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by Mellis »

The Mexican ones I have had are special in that the strings are not tied to each other, they run free all the way criss-crossing and therefore shape snugly around you. A bit hard to explain, go look for yourself 8)
Mellis

Post by Mellis »

oh and good luck with the shoes and enjoy dinner, say hi to RRM and Iris.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I think I understand. They're not made like a fishnet but like a loom.
Any recommendations about weight capacity? Not that I intend to buy one now, but to know for the future.

Thanks! I will :)
Mellis

Post by Mellis »

Two adults and two-three children fit in if you buy the family size hammock. My single person hammock could hold two - very close, cozy co-sleeping. 8)
panacea

Post by panacea »

mellis how does the back feel in these kind of hammocks in the morning? can you move around in them at night or is it like you're stuck by gravity? how tall are you? i'm 6'8" so im wondering if there is enough space usually for this size of people.. thanks! (im a mattress sleeper my whole life but want to make the change!)
Mellis

Post by Mellis »

A back would probably feel unstrained if that was how you felt when you went to bed (hammock). Breathing is easy in the hammock, you're held like in someones arms, like a child. Very snug! I typically would sleep on my side or back in the hammock, on the diagonal, that's where the hammock is long enough, most times I would use a small pillow. Changing position is easy, you just squirm around to your hearts content. I have never fallen off the hammock. I'm 1m 74cm.
See this pic
http://storafamnen.se/bilder/Matrimonio ... familj.jpg the family size, room for everyone.
http://storafamnen.se/matrimonio_mer.html
8)
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Well in the end I did have time to try out the shoes a bit, and it felt good! Now I had far more the feeling of landing on the ball/front of my foot, whereas with my normal running shoes it seemed I landed more on the whole of my foot, due to the thickness of the heel cushioning.
Later today I'll try them out on a longer run. According to my 'schedule' I'm supposed to run 7 km or so....well, we'll see how that goes.
Mellis

Post by Mellis »

That sounds great Oscar! 7 km will be a lovely run for you. Listen to your feet. Sometimes stopping and starting over can be helpful, too, if you slip into you old style of running. It's a lot like training horses. Training yourself 8)
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

It doesn't seem like I have to change anything about my running style. In fact, on a whole the running itself didn't seem that much different. To me this isn't surprising, because the Pose Method advocates using running shoes with a thin sole and with as little padding as one finds comfy, so it should be totally fine for barefoot running. :)
Mellis

Post by Mellis »

Happy days! ;D
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

;D
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Well, just came back from my run, which turns out to be 7.5km. Wow.
First of all, it really feels as if you're running barefoot, even though you do feel there's something around your foot; but very light and not the clunky feeling of regular running shoes.

In the beginning it's getting used to the increased contact with the ground, but that goes pretty quickly, as it's more a noticing it than having to do anything about it. It's also far easier to notice when there's any tendency to heelstrike. I didn't have any problems with the soles of my feet, except 'til the end when I noticed my right foot was sliding a little over the sole of the shoe, so I have a very slight sensitive spot, but that's all.

I noticed my calf muscles were working harder than before. I guess that's because the 'lack' of heel support now.
It seems I was using less energy as a whole, but I'll have a better idea when I'll run a regular 5km.

A strange thing I felt afterward was a seemingly heightened sense of balance. Not sure if I imagined that or not. It felt good though.

So all in all a positive experience. :D
Mellis

Post by Mellis »

Oscar wrote:Image

;D
Happy days! Thanks for the review 8)
Oscar
Administrator

Re: Barefoot running & Alexander Technique

Post by Oscar »

I'm getting more and more used to the barefoot running. I noticed I want to keep as close to the ground as possible, to keep the impact to a minimum.

Terraplana has a sale until coming Monday the 2nd of August. They offer 20% off all their barefoot shoes. Enter the code: "KINGS" at the checkout.
Site: http://www.terraplana.com/index.php

On their site is also a pretty clear instruction video about barefoot running. Even though it's not the way I was taught, it seems to me it can work quite well.
Mr. PC

Re: Barefoot running & Alexander Technique

Post by Mr. PC »

Hmm, if I were to start sleeping in a 'fetus/on-the-side huddling in a group of people type position' it would certainly add to the list of weird things that make everyone think I'm totally nuts. I wonder if this would ever end up happening on a Wai Island. To be honest I usually hug a pillow and imagine it's a person when I sleep, I wonder if this is why. I find head support and my arm hurting are the biggest problems with this position though. I have always been told sleeping on the back was healthiest, maybe I should've just been listening to my instincts.

So your slipper made shoes were only a temp model, right? Have you made the leather ones yet? I'm curious whether they'd fit as snugly because I'd imagine the leather isn't quite as mailable. What kind of elastic did you use? Was it one long elastic on each foot? How exactly did you fasten them to the sole?