JeffC the extreme ninja warrior

Fasting during the morning and (some part of) the afternoon, eating at night
JeffC
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Re: JeffC the extreme ninja warrior

Post by JeffC »

Aytundra wrote:Keep posting! :)
Did you dissolve the dextrose in water or just sprinkled it onto your food?
Direct from spoon to mouth.
RRM wrote:Maybe its just fructose malabsorption.
Maybe. I'm pretty sure at this point that fructose is the cause. The dextrose is working well so far.

I'm going to slightly tweak my plan once more; hopefully I've got it figured out now:

15:00-18:00: physical work
18:45-19:00: fasted 15-min strength training, then wait 30 minutes while fat is converted to glucose
[ 22 hours of fasting ends ]
19:30-20:15: fish (high protein for muscle recovery)
20:30-21:20: chicken livers + beef + yolks + coconut oil + tomato (recovery continuation)
21:20-21:30: 15 tbsp dextrose (carbs last to maximize fat burning)
JeffC

Post by JeffC »

I'm tired of being 123 lb, and so I'm going up to 2800 calories. Added more dextrose to get there.

My waist measured 28.75 inches today.

Otherwise, same as before. Fast all day, work, train, wait 30 minutes, get my eating done in about 2.5 hours because I chew slowly. I don't feel full when I'm done.
dime

Post by dime »

Have you always been 123 lb, or were you more at some point?
How do you eat all that dextrose, dissolved in water?
Be careful with chicken liver, it contains too much vitamin A which could be toxic.
JeffC

Post by JeffC »

dime wrote:Have you always been 123 lb, or were you more at some point?
I'm a thin ectomorph type, and so I'm always going to be fairly light. Within the last few years, my weight has ranged from 118 lb (which was concerning) to 139 lb (but my waist was a fat 32-33 inches). I typically hover in the 125-130 range, but I want to bulk up to 144 (without being fat).
dime wrote:How do you eat all that dextrose, dissolved in water?
Directly from spoon to mouth.
dime wrote:Be careful with chicken liver, it contains too much vitamin A which could be toxic.
Chicken liver is low compared to beef and calf. But, yeah, I have to be careful there. I find them so delicious, though.
JeffC

Post by JeffC »

Now that I know that I should avoid fructose, I've been thinking about potatoes. I know that they are not Wai-endorsed, but I think that they would benefit me. Dextrose is fine, but it offers no nutrients. And I cannot have fruits. When I look over the list of things that I may need more of, potatoes perfectly fill the role: vitamin C, thiamin, magnesium, potassium, copper, manganese. They are also cheap.

The arguments against potatoes:
-Acrylamide. But that's at high cooking temperatures. I would boil.
-Solanine. I would avoid eating skins and green parts. Boiling also helps.
-Non-raw/acne. Acne isn't a problem for me, and the total would be only 5-10 g of protein anyway.

I think that the benefits outweigh the risks.
JeffC

Post by JeffC »

Update: yes, potatoes are gonna happen.

More importantly, I've discovered a disconnect between the amount of calories I was getting 'on paper' versus how many I was actually taking in. I've been losing weight because I had been getting less calories than I thought. And so, this development is positive for the idea that less calories are needed while doing intermittent fasting. Disregard the 2800-calorie thing. I'm going to try getting 2500 actual calories, and it should be enough to maintain or gain.
fred

Post by fred »

JeffC wrote:Update: yes, potatoes are gonna happen.

More importantly, I've discovered a disconnect between the amount of calories I was getting 'on paper' versus how many I was actually taking in. I've been losing weight because I had been getting less calories than I thought. And so, this development is positive for the idea that less calories are needed while doing intermittent fasting. Disregard the 2800-calorie thing. I'm going to try getting 2500 actual calories, and it should be enough to maintain or gain.
Can you expand on the discrepancy you found between calculated calories and real calories intake ?
Where was the "error" ?
Often I have the feeling that I don't get the calories I calculate on the paper. My conclusion was and is that, regarding food (only), caloric intake is not the only variable to take into account for weight management.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

JeffC wrote:I think that the benefits outweigh the risks.
Potato starch + vitamin supplements is better than whole boiled potatoes.
Boiling still creates harmful substances.
JeffC

Post by JeffC »

fred wrote:Can you expand on the discrepancy you found between calculated calories and real calories intake ?
Where was the "error" ?
-Loss of fat when dehydrating meats
-Wasting a small part of each egg yolk
-Imprecise measuring of coconut oil
RRM wrote:Boiling still creates harmful substances.
What specifically?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

JeffC wrote:
RRM wrote:Boiling still creates harmful substances.
What specifically?
Except for oxysterols, all the bad stuff that is created in cooked foods.
Just to a much lesser extend, as potatoes contain little protein and very little fat.
JeffC

Post by JeffC »

For the last month I've been almost completely stable. 124 lb and 29-inch waist, with small fluctuations based on hydration and stomach contents. I don't know exactly how many calories it is per day. Something in the area of 2500. I am using both potatoes and dextrose for carbs at the moment. 3-hour eating window at night.

I say that I want to bulk up to 144 lb, but I want it to be muscle instead of fat, and so it will be very slow. I'm focusing more on exercises now that I have the nutrition fairly settled. Mainly I need to make my upper body workouts more difficult.
JeffC

Post by JeffC »

Oscar wrote:During a lifetime, there are only a limited number of cell mitoses possible (because of the telomeres).
Lately I've become more curious about keeping telomeres long (for anti-aging).

The Telegraph put up an article a few days ago about a study on standing v. sitting. Fortunately I had already adopted the 'standing lifestyle' over a year ago. (I stand at my computer and generally don't sit down except to eat.)

That article led me to a study on sleep length and telomere length. In men (but not women), there was a direct correlation between hours of sleep and telomere length. So evidently we should be getting "more than 7 hours."

Other telomere-length factors seem to be avoiding stress, physical activity, folate levels, avoiding obesity, getting antioxidants, vitamin D, omega-3... yeah, generally avoiding oxidative damage.
doventin

Post by doventin »

I wonder if it's about the benefits of standing (being 'active' rather than rested) or avoiding the damages of sitting. While I spend much more time standing than I did before, I've also been rehabilitating the squat as the basic human resting position. It's not as passive as sitting, but it's still resting.
Espirito

Post by Espirito »

Hi jeff, how are you doing?

I sent you a private message.
I'm very interested in this subjects " no carbs ".
Maybe i have the same problems with fruits.

If you can please answer me.

I' was vegetarian, and if i went out of this frugivorian style, i wish to came back to vegetarianism.
Do you think it's possible to cut the carbs in a vegetarian diet?
JeffC

Post by JeffC »

I started warrior about 6 months ago, and so let's look at how I've changed.

03-2014:
128 lb
30" waist

Diet:
Breakfast: Chicken liver, ground beef w/ butter & tomato
Lunch: Ground beef w/ yolks, butter, & tomato
Dinner: Fish, strawberries w/coconut oil

Workout:
Tuesday: chest/triceps
Wednesday: intense cardio (running or jump rope)
Thursday: shoulders
Friday: legs
Saturday: back/biceps
Sunday: cycling

09-2014:
125 lb
29" waist

Diet:
18:00: Fish
19:00: Potatoes
20:00: Chicken liver, ground beef w/ yolks, coconut oil, & tomato
21:00: Dextrose (if necessary)

Workout:
Tuesday - vertical push/pull (overhead press/chinups)
Thursday - horizontal push/pull (pushups/rows)
Saturday - legs (squats/hips)
Sunday - elbow flex/extend (biceps/triceps)

--

-My caloric maintenance level possibly (still somewhat uncertain) dropped from 2800 to 2500 after I started intermittent fasting.
-Unfortunately I have almost no athletic or health data. Chinups have improved from 20 to 67, but that's just typical training improvement.
-I 'feel' like my heart health improved because of autophagy, but I don't have data to prove it.
-I realized the benefits of slowly chewing food.
-I discovered conclusively that my lifelong digestive problems were caused by fructose.