JeffC the extreme ninja warrior

Fasting during the morning and (some part of) the afternoon, eating at night
JeffC
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Re: JeffC the extreme ninja warrior

Post by JeffC »

Ok, I agree with you. I'm going to try 122 g of protein and not reducing the fish. I'll see whether my cravings are satisfied at that level.

I'm thinking about cutting the window down to 2.5 hours. And so I'll still update with possible changes soon.
JeffC

Post by JeffC »

When my OJ runs out at the end of this week, I'm not going to buy anymore. Even 24 oz of OJ causes minor digestive problems for me. (At 48 oz the problems were obvious.) I've had digestive problems with carbs my whole life. I recognized that something was wrong even as a child, but I didn't know why until I had that major osmotic problem with sugar last year.
http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/ar ... oods12.php
The consumption of carbohydrates generally begins showing the disease effects in either one of two directions:
-Body fat accumulation leads to obesity, diabetes, heart disease, cancer, gallbladder disease, degenerative bone diseases and many others.
-Damage to the intestinal tract leads to leaky gut syndrome, inflammatory bowel diseases and a medical textbook listing of autoimmune diseases. These illnesses generally make the sufferer underweight and deficient in vitamins and minerals caused by poor digestion.
That part in bold is my story. I'm ditching the OJ in favor of coconut oil and animals again... 76% fat / 3% carb / 21% protein.

Another change I've made recently is that I've made a stronger effort to chew my food very thoroughly. It takes up to 30 minutes to finish my fish and an hour to finish my big beef meal. I think it's definitely helping with digestion, nutrient absorption, and my waistline. I've lost a quarter-inch (29.25 inches).

I am still going to do the 2.5 hour eating window. I have no problem taking in that much food.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

JeffC wrote:The consumption of carbohydrates generally begins showing the disease effects in either one of two directions:
Ahum.
That site claims that carbs cause disease.
You said that you had this issue from childhood (your whole life).
If the latter is true, what exactly is the problem with carbs in your body?
Or you lacking some enzyme?
similar?
Aytundra

Post by Aytundra »

When do you drink OJ? (Multiple Choice, circle the best answer that applies to you.)
a) With raw fish/seafood?
b) Shortly after eating raw seafood? (a few hours before or later.)
c) After shellfish? I saw the word lobster in an earlier post. Do you eat raw lobster?
d) Drinks it on non-fish days.
e) Aytundra these questions don't apply to me! :wink:
[I am thinking: Thiaminase]
JeffC wrote:I'm not going to buy anymore.
Store bought OJ? Was it pasteurized? Containerized OJ? Or did you juice them yourself?

Random question:
As a kid did you eat thiamin containing foods, such as wheat cereal with bran, or enriched flour?
---
Could it be because you process less sugar because of the lack of thiamin in your diet?

But maybe you really can't process sugar, I remember someone with a sugar allergy or something like that, and the teacher would give a sticker instead of a candy as a reward, that's what the classmate said, "I'm allergic to sugar." and when questioned further, the classmate said no candy at home either. Sounds like a medical problem for that classmate.

Maybe it is not a sugar problem but it is an OJ problem.
Are you allergic to something inside oranges. How well do you tolerate other citrus items, less sugary ones?
A tundra where will we be without trees? Thannnks!
JeffC

Post by JeffC »

RRM wrote:Ahum.
That site claims that carbs cause disease.
You said that you had this issue from childhood (your whole life).
If the latter is true, what exactly is the problem with carbs in your body?
Or you lacking some enzyme?
similar?
I don't know for sure but, yes, my best guess is that I have lower levels of sugar-digesting enzymes. I experienced gastrointestinal issues throughout childhood when I was on a high-sugar junk diet. Removing carbs from my diet made the problems go away. And all of my other problems disappeared as well (Candida, teeth, mood). Also, I was gaining weight easily on a 3000-calorie low-carb diet, whereas I needed 5000 calories just to maintain weight on a high-carb diet.
Aytundra wrote:When do you drink OJ?
f) Recently I had been drinking it after fasting for ~18 hours. I had no food with it. I was using frozen OJ so that I could quit it easily if I had problems (which I did).
Aytundra wrote:Could it be because you process less sugar because of the lack of thiamin in your diet?
As a child I drank plenty of OJ every day, and I ate wheat products. Currently I get thiamin from various meats. I don't think I have a problem there.
Aytundra wrote:Maybe it is not a sugar problem but it is an OJ problem.
It is possible that it is both. But when I had severe digestive problems last year it was because I was taking a massive amount of refined sugar.

Starting today I'm trying the no-OJ plan. But what I really came here to say is:

I have had unbelievable results since I started SLOW CHEWING. My waistline has melted down to 29.00 inches flat. (I had been stuck at 29.50-30.00 for three months.) I'm beginning to see traces of my upper abs in the mirror. My chinup record soared from 50 to 60 in a single session. Likewise, doing neutral-grip pullups, my record instantly jumped from 25 to 41. I feel more energy at work even though the weather has been brutally hot.

And so although I set my eating window at about 3 hours, I don't rush through eating. I'm eating slowly for almost the whole 3 hours, just relaxing while watching videos. Intermittent fasting + slow chewing is an awesome combo.
fred

Post by fred »

Your report is very interesting. Thank you.
I have exactly the same issue than you regarding carbs (but to a less extend) : I gain some weight on a low/moderate carb 3000kcal diet and I need 5000kcal to maintain my (pretty low) weight on a high carb diet (which is unbearable on the long term).

I have noticed several times that I can tolerate carbs much better when I eat different variety of fruits. If I stick to only one or two fruits for several weeks, then I start to develop symptoms and loose weight (like cramps, eyes shuts, arrhythmia with bananas and oranges). I now eat peaches, nectarines, pineapples, figs, etc. and my symptoms have disappeared and I even gain weight with less than 3000kcal.

So I would suggest to vary your fruits, this is the perfect season right now to do that.

Thank's for the slow chewing tip, I'll give it a try.
JeffC

Post by JeffC »

fred wrote:I have noticed several times that I can tolerate carbs much better when I eat different variety of fruits. If I stick to only one or two fruits for several weeks, then I start to develop symptoms and loose weight (like cramps, eyes shuts, arrhythmia with bananas and oranges). I now eat peaches, nectarines, pineapples, figs, etc. and my symptoms have disappeared and I even gain weight with less than 3000kcal.
Interesting, but I think I should avoid fructose as much as possible. I used to eat raisins too, same issues... I'll just pay attention to my cravings. For example, I like pears, bananas, etc. but I wouldn't say that I crave them ever. The only fruit that I've craved within the last few months has been prunes... presumably for their vitamin K1.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

JeffC wrote:I think I should avoid fructose as much as possible.
So, you think that fructose may be the issue for you?
Please try dextrose to test that hypothesis.
The only fruit that I've craved within the last few months has been prunes... presumably for their vitamin K1.
If it is vitamin K you are craving, you should increase your egg yolk intake.
Im guessing you are referring to a low K1 to K2 conversion rate by intestinal bacteria.
Intestinal issues may therefore cause a relative K2 deficiency, which will increase cravings for high K1 foods.

1 avocado contains 35 mcg vitamin K
1 egg yolk contains 24 mcg vitamin K
1 kiwi contains 24 mcg vitamin K
1 prune contains 8 mcg vitamin K

http://www.waitalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1920

Vitamin K from egg yolks is very well absorbed due to the phospholipds that yolks contain.
Such phosphoplipids are also used as a vehicle for drug delivery.
Vitamin K from egg yolks is much more effectively utilized than vitamin K from plant origin.
Aytundra

Post by Aytundra »

JeffC wrote:The only fruit that I've craved within the last few months has been prunes...presumably for their vitamin K1.
I think, plums (fresh form of dried prunes)...presumably for their Vitamin B2 Riboflavin.
On the calculator if you limit the intake of plums to the maximum Vitamin C, and then calculate the abundance of each vitamin relative to RDA, plums will provide you in order of abundance: Vitamin C, Vitamin B2, Vitamin E...etc.

I think your body craves riboflavin. Other sources of riboflavin listed from most to least sugar: raisins, dates, pears, cherries, plums, coconut water.
Do you crave any of those foods?
JeffC

Post by JeffC »

RRM wrote:So, you think that fructose may be the issue for you?
Good suggestion. In the interest of science, I'll try dextrose to see if I react the same way. But I'm still weary of making carbs in general a significant part of my diet.
RRM wrote:If it is vitamin K you are craving, you should increase your egg yolk intake.
I think that at the time when I craved prunes, I wasn't eating yolks. I take 3 yolks per day now.
Aytundra wrote:I think your body craves riboflavin. Other sources of riboflavin listed from most to least sugar: raisins, dates, pears, cherries, plums, coconut water. Do you crave any of those foods?
I eat a lot of meats. Fish, liver, beef, yolks. They're all good sources of riboflavin.

I don't currently crave fruits very much, I just think of them as tasting good. I feel more inclined toward more protein, actually.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

JeffC wrote:
RRM wrote:So, you think that fructose may be the issue for you?
Good suggestion. In the interest of science, I'll try dextrose to see if I react the same way. But I'm still weary of making carbs in general a significant part of my diet.
I very much understand your weariness, but sound experimentation is the only way to make sure.
If not, you may keep trying different things for many years to come, maybe sometimes with frustrating results.
Once you are sure, you can make choices based on facts.
JeffC

Post by JeffC »

None of the grocery/health/vitamin stores here have dextrose. (I checked 9 places.) I ordered it online, but I had been hoping to pick up some dextrose today and get started. So I guess it will be another week before I can start experimenting with it.

I've got the 3-hour eating window going now. 18:30-21:30 at night after work on weekdays. I want to eat enough to not lose any more weight, but I also don't want my waist to expand. I want to gain muscle (and I hope the dextrose will help in that area).

Did 62 chinups last time.
JeffC

Post by JeffC »

Yesterday I tried about 8 tablespoons (100 g) of dextrose. I did not perceive any digestive problems. Thus it seems that my problems are specifically related to fructose. Tomorrow I'm going to try 15 tablespoons. If I continue to have no problems, I'll do 15 tablespoons every day. I feel like maybe now with dextrose I'll finally be able to build some muscle.

My waist is still at 29.00 inches, but my weight is down to 123 lb. (I started at 128 lb but with a 30.00-inch waist.) Evidently 2400 calories is not enough after all. I've made some changes and I'm going to try 2600 calories for now.

51% fat / 30% carb (mostly dextrose) / 19% protein. Since my ideal weight is 144 lb, I start calculating with 0.82 g/lb of protein to get 118 g of protein. Then I use the Fibonacci 1.618 multiplier (approximately) and end up with 195 g of carbs. And the other 148 g is fat. So here's the plan:

[ 21.5 hours of fasting ]
18:45-19:30: 6 tbsp dextrose + fish (600 calories)
[ short rest, then strength training ]
20:15-21:15: 9 tbsp dextrose + chicken livers + beef + yolks + coconut oil + tomato (2000 calories)
Aytundra

Post by Aytundra »

Keep posting! :)
Did you dissolve the dextrose in water or just sprinkled it onto your food?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

JeffC wrote:it seems that my problems are specifically related to fructose.
Maybe its just fructose malabsorption.