Eating just one hour a day: do or don't?

Fasting during the morning and (some part of) the afternoon, eating at night
MarciavD
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Eating just one hour a day: do or don't?

Post by MarciavD »

I started WW two weeks ago. In the beginning it was a bit difficult, but I have to say fasting during the day gets more easy every day! I feel a lot better than before WW, I have more energy and my eyes feel more awake. Not tired anymore during the day, at last! :D

Since last monday, I only eat one meal a day, around 5pm. Then fast for 23h. Each day. That seems to suit me and it's very easy. I really like it this way.
Is that too much / long fasting or is it okay?
ventor3000

Re: Eating just one hour a day: do or don't?

Post by ventor3000 »

The big risk here is that the alert/wake feelings of yours comes from the increased stress hormones (if you dont get enough calories). This works short term but will soner or later end with disaster. If you want to do this, make sure you really stuff yourself whan you eat, so that you reach at least close to your recommended calories a day.

A word of warning: my girlfriend started (non-wai) perodic fasting a few years ago. In the beginning she was really hungry in the eating window and ate a lot. She lost some weight at a reasonable speed, maybe a pound a week. After a while she bagan to eat less and less, saying she was never hungry (cronic stress hormones prevents hunger). Then came disaster: freezing all the time, weight loss stopped (actually she gained as soon as she tried to eat a little), no energy and cronic headaches. She began to eat 'normally' again and quickly gained 30 pounds, and was diagnosed with some thyroid disorder and will have to take thyriod hormones for the rest of her life. If her long term low eating caused this thyroid disorder can be argued, but it sure didnt help! In my opinion, no grown man/woman should ever eat less than 1500-1600 calories a day.
MarciavD

Post by MarciavD »

Thanks for your reply! And your warning.
I do eat enough calories though. I make mashed bananas (at least 4) with egg yolk (4-6) with a topping of mousse out of three big avocados. In addition I drink OJ / eat mango and I also blender coffee with a lot of coconut oil.
Some days I replace the yolks with nuts (150 gr).
So calorie wise no problems..
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I don't see why not. If you're getting all the macro- and micronutrients needed and are able to consume it all in one hour, that'd work. RRM eats everything in 2 hours.
MarciavD

Post by MarciavD »

Okay, thanks!
I don't have problems stuffing myself with the good stuff. ;D
Maybe it's better to eat more close to bedtime?
I do feel very tired / sleepy after eating. I will try to find out if I am able to reschedule.

I decided to eat this way, unless I starts affecting my sleep. Guess that's a sign of too much stress. My hormones aren't a guideline, they are always mixed up...
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

It is hard enough to consume all required energy and other nutrients in just 2 hours; 1 hour seems twice as hard :shock:
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

ventor3000 wrote:no grown man/woman should ever eat less than 1500-1600 calories a day.
Actually, its has been shown that fasting on alternate days is healthy.
So, you may be consuming 0 calories on those days.
But of course, on average you will be consuming more than 1600 kcal per day.
MarciavD

Post by MarciavD »

I have to say it backfired on me after two weeks. I started to feel very very hungry so I changed my eating window to 3-5 hours a day.
Even though I really am able to eat A LOT during one hour! Definitely at least 1800 kcal and I don't even juice.
I feel best during hours of fasting, that's why I prefer an eating window that's as narrow as comfortable and possible.

Regarding sleep: I have never ever slept any better than I do nowadays. I even sleep 8-9 hrs a night, a PR!
Before WW I always had difficulties with getting enough sleep in total and I always woke up one or more times at night.
Now I don't even wake up anymore during night! No stress, I do wake up in the morning.. ;)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Great. You should always stay tuned to your body, because your conditions change as you implement a change in your diet, or when fasting, so that after some time you may need something entirely different than before.
Gavriel

Post by Gavriel »

MarciavD,

are you still on the WW diet?
Same eating window?
How does it feel after a few months?
MarciavD

Post by MarciavD »

No, I didn't succeed at eating one hour a day on long(er) term.
Because I also had troubles with sticking to 100% Wai, I focussed on maintaing the Wai diet first and I stopped IF.

Now I added some (good quality) raw salmon, it's no longer difficult to eat Wai-only (guess there was a lack of protein in my previous diet)
and now I try to eat between 10:00 - 18:00. So fasting 16h - eating 8h.
Because I don't want any troubles with my hormones (female) I choose for this gentle fasting.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Sensible imo