Protein needs?

Fasting during the morning and (some part of) the afternoon, eating at night
Kat
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Protein needs?

Post by Kat »

- Would we calculate our body weight to .8 to tell us how much protein is ideal per day?
I'm at my ideal weight, I've seen some suggest multiply your ideal weight with .8 .

- We're only eating 1 meal a day so it's safe to eat a lot of protein in one meal (such a short time frame)?
bravenewfictor

Re: Protein needs?

Post by bravenewfictor »

Your protein needs, if you are not looking to build a lot of muscle, is really not a lot. If you have 0,5 grams protein per kilo of bodyweight that should be more than enough.

Your protein tolerance goes up with fasting (regarding acne). I am not sure if protein needs actually goes up as well, if you eat enough carbs/fat.
Kat

Post by Kat »

bravenewfictor wrote: Sat 22 Jul 2017 12:32 Your protein needs, if you are not looking to build a lot of muscle, is really not a lot. If you have 0,5 grams protein per kilo of bodyweight that should be more than enough.

Your protein tolerance goes up with fasting (regarding acne). I am not sure if protein needs actually goes up as well, if you eat enough carbs/fat.
I think I read in "warrior" you need more protein, more than .5, bc your only eating 1 meal a day, regardless if one wants to build more muscle?

I'm not certain if it's the same for raw protein, but I know with cooked protein our bodies don't absorb it all due to what it takes to break it down and convert it into amino acids.

Something I'm not sure about, I've heard a couple dif things in the past, let's say one eats more protien than the body needs, does the body just let the excess go as waste (urine, breath, stools etc...) ? Or does it store it as glycogen in muscle? I'm pretty sure it's converted into sugars, not fat? But I'm uncertain what happens to any extra protein one has that the body doesn't need at the moment?
bravenewfictor

Post by bravenewfictor »

With fasting, you absolutely can burn more amino acids as energy, but this does not mean you are «eating« your muscles, mainly this is free amino acids circulating in your blood. This «cleans up» excess protein, and your tolerance goes up. As far as protein needs go, I dont see why they would increase significantly, as long as enough carbs and fat is consumed as well (your body would prefer these nutrients as energy, and use the protein mainly for other purposes).

Protein in the body has to be used for either energy or other purposes. Your body dont expell «unused» protein, it is pretty smart that way ;)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Kat wrote: Sat 22 Jul 2017 14:34 I know with cooked protein our bodies don't absorb it all due to what it takes to break it down and convert it into amino acids.
The structure of amino acids is somewhat affected by cooking, decreasing protein value.
let's say one eats more protien than the body needs
Except for starving people, one always does so.
I'm pretty sure it's converted into sugars, not fat? But I'm uncertain what happens to any extra protein one has that the body doesn't need at the moment?
There are 3 types of amino acids:
1) ketogenic
2) glucogenic
3) glucogenic/ketogenic

The 1) amino acids (the minority) is converted into fatty acids
The 2) amino acids are converted to sugars: glucose, glycogen, glycerol
The 3) amino acids are converted to either fatty acids or sugars, depending on your body's needs

Since amino acids contain nitrogen, and sugars and fatty acids do not, the nitrogen is converted to ammonia and ureum, prior to being re-used (for building non-essential amino acids), or excreted by urinating