Raw salmon (or other fish) combinations?

Only 100% Wai recipes belong here.
Wintran
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Raw salmon (or other fish) combinations?

Post by Wintran »

Does anyone have any ideas of what food you can combine with raw salmon to make it taste more interesting (or less slimey :) )?
Hannes
rafaelo

Re: Raw salmon (or other fish) combinations?

Post by rafaelo »

brazil nuts

haha jk. don't know.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

The longer you have been eating mainly raw food, the more you will appreciate the taste of raw salmon only, without anything added.
Having said that, I really love a little ginger with my salmon. It's virtually the only 'munchfood' my skin allows me to eat without breaking out.
Wintran

Post by Wintran »

That sounds good! I do admit that I've been eating frozen salmon only, which might add to the watery or "slimey" consistency. I did try some fruit together with the salmon today, and that made it a bit easier to swallow.
Hannes
Brian
Administrator

Post by Brian »

Avocado is a very good combination with raw salmon.

A mix of olive oil, chives, and lemon (or lime) juice is also quite nice as a dressing. But this won't help with the sliminess.

You could also try grated or spiral cut daikon radish. This is a traditional Japanese pairing with sashimi. But it is a root vegetable and thus "cheating". It definitely helps with the slime-factor though.

I also like to have it with some ginger.

In my experience there are a few factors that can make salmon slimy.

First: the type of salmon. I can't stand Atlantic salmon. I find it too fatty/slimy and it just doesn't taste right. Pacific salmon is entirely different and I highly recommend it. But lots of people like Atlantic salmon, so it's just a matter of personal preference and availability.

Second: the specific cut of salmon. You will notice that the belly of the fish (that is, the bottom portion of the fish) is more fatty/slimy than other cuts. Sometimes I enjoy it, but other times I need a higher cut or a tail cut. Usually you can ask your fish monger for a specific cut, or if you buy your salmon whole then you of course can choose what to eat and when.

Third: especially with frozen salmon, make sure you pat it dry before eating it. Any extra moisture on the surface of the fish tends to make it unpleasent for me to eat.
Wintran

Post by Wintran »

Thanks for the tips! I'll see if I can try some various "brands" of salmon, caught in different locations, to see if there's any difference.

I would try avocado if I didn't have a problem with the avocado itself. I try to eat at least a couple of avocados every week, but they make me really full and sometimes almost make me feel sick because they're so fat (kind of like the feeling of eating too much butter). This could be simply because I'm unused to eating them, and maybe I should stop eating a whole avocado at once, now in the beginning stage.

A bit out of topic, but do you have any good tips for getting avocados down as well? :) In the end I guess it's mostly just about getting the body used to it.
Hannes
Sunkist

Post by Sunkist »

Hi Everyone
I'm new hear but used to read Wai's old board....

I love Maguro Tuna because if it';s good quality and fresh, it doesn't have any kind fishiness...it's awesome!!

I haven't had it in a long time, but I will be adding it back into my diet soon
Monique

Post by Monique »

i love salmon wd thin slices of gurkins (i mean cornichons = same right?)
BlueFrog

Post by BlueFrog »

Brian, why is salmon with a mix of olive oil, chives, and lemon (or lime) juice considered 'cheating'? None of those foods are prepared (other than chopping) and they're all on the diet.
_ ________ _
BlueFrog
Brian
Administrator

Post by Brian »

Originally posted by BlueFrog:
Brian, why is salmon with a mix of olive oil, chives, and lemon (or lime) juice considered 'cheating'? None of those foods are prepared (other than chopping) and they're all on the diet.
Oops, good catch.
I redrafted my post a few times before posting.
I guess that part was left over.

I've modified my post, so now there' no evidence of my mistake. :)
Lukkiwun

Post by Lukkiwun »

Sushi ginger.I bought some of this a few weeks ago & liked it but it had some nasties in it so I made a more friendly substitute.Cut about 250G of organic green ginger very thinly& put loosely in a bottle.Add 1 tablespoon raw honey,a little hot english mustard,& enough organic apple cider vinegar to cover.Leave stand for at least 1 week. Great with all raw seafood & meats.Delicious with raw liver
dionysus

Post by dionysus »

white fish tastes alot better. Sea Bass, Sea bream,....etc
avalon

Post by avalon »

This has probably been posted somewhere else because it seems obvious.

Today, not sure of what I wanted to do I put an egg yolk in a side dish, and dipped the Salmon peices in it. I do ad a touch of soy for flavoring. It was delisious and creamy!
Chin-Chin

Post by Chin-Chin »

If one must use soy sauce (I haven't yet since I've been on this diet), I would suggest Tamari, which is fermented without wheat - which sets it apart from normal soy sauce. You can get it in any health stores.
avalon

Post by avalon »

Tamari can be wheat free. But for reference San-J has both Tamari with and without wheat. I have not found it wheat free here yet, and haven't ordered it as I wish to. I am curious to taste the difference. Presently I'm using Organic Shoyu.