Juice, walking and weight loss

If you want to get rid of overweight
Tulip
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Juice, walking and weight loss

Post by Tulip »

I think I misunderstand the glycogen method.
Let's say I have been walking for 2 hours, sipping juice, taking in the amount of calories I am supposed to burn during this time. The carbs to fat ratio is 3:1. Isn't that counterproductive for weight loss? If I have enough stored glycogen, along with more energy coming in from juice, wouldn't that prevent any fat from being used?
How exactly does sipping juice affect the metabolism of fat while walking?
I understand that there is a point where the body gets into "fat burning mode". Does taking a quick break set you back to burning only sugars?
RRM
Administrator

Re: Juice, walking and weight loss

Post by RRM »

Tulip wrote:Let's say I have been walking for 2 hours, sipping juice, taking in the amount of calories I am supposed to burn during this time. The carbs to fat ratio is 3:1. Isn't that counterproductive for weight loss?
No.
The fats that are ingested are not stored (as taken in in small amounts) whereas the burning of bodyfat goes on and on. the ingested fats help to keep your blood sugar at the right level as well.
The sugars taken in enable you to keep walking, while they are not stored as glycogen because utilized immediately, and stored glycogen (in the legs) is utilized as well.
If I have enough stored glycogen, along with more energy coming in from juice, wouldn't that prevent any fat from being used?
Fat and glycogen are simultanously being used for energy while walking.
If you would have to rely on stored energy only, your energy would go down way to fast, and would prevent you from keeping on walking.
Without the energy ingested, it would really become a challenge that increasingly gets less pleasant to do.
The energy ingested just prevents the blood energy levels from going down too much.
I understand that there is a point where the body gets into "fat burning mode".
No, it always does.
Its just that after a while the body starts burning more fat to meet energy demands (particularly the heart uses fatty acids for energy)
Does taking a quick break set you back to burning only sugars?
There is no such thing, but yes its better to keep walking.
Tulip

Re: Juice, walking and weight loss

Post by Tulip »

RRM wrote: Fat and glycogen are simultanously being used for energy while walking.
If you would have to rely on stored energy only, your energy would go down way to fast, and would prevent you from keeping on walking.
Without the energy ingested, it would really become a challenge that increasingly gets less pleasant to do.
The energy ingested just prevents the blood energy levels from going down too much.
But does more fat get burned if less energy is ingested at that time?
RRM wrote: No, it always does.
Its just that after a while the body starts burning more fat to meet energy demands (particularly the heart uses fatty acids for energy)

Does that mean the body burns more fat per minute after 2 hours, than after 1 hour?
And if the heart uses fatty acids, does that mean it's better to walk at the highest speed that still allows me to keep going for 2 hours?
Frost

Post by Frost »

i would say yes to all of the later questions.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I am going to stop drinking juice when I walk and see what happens.

I have been doing this exercise for 2 months. I have gained weight in this time. I know I'm gaining still weight from the restrictive diet I went on last winter. Could that possibly stop me from losing weight when I walk?

I have been listening to my energy needs and I can't eat the amount recommended for my weight and activity level. Maybe every time I try to eat enough is when I gain weight.

Since I won't take in energy while walking, I will have bigger meals for efficiency. That shouldn't cause weight gain in itself, because I don't fill glycogen stores with the amount I eat. But then how am I gaining weight?
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

Tulip wrote:I am going to stop drinking juice when I walk and see what happens.

I have been doing this exercise for 2 months. I have gained weight in this time. I know I'm gaining still weight from the restrictive diet I went on last winter. Could that possibly stop me from losing weight when I walk?

I have been listening to my energy needs and I can't eat the amount recommended for my weight and activity level. Maybe every time I try to eat enough is when I gain weight.

Since I won't take in energy while walking, I will have bigger meals for efficiency. That shouldn't cause weight gain in itself, because I don't fill glycogen stores with the amount I eat. But then how am I gaining weight?
are you eating any cooked food or starch at all?
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

johndela1 wrote: are you eating any cooked food or starch at all?
A potato about once every 2 months.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

"Here and there" could mean all day long. I am very sparing with alcohol.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

The body uses (i.e. burns) fat the whole time, 24/7. More or less the same amount. Since muscles also use fat, you can help this a little by using the muscles close to the fat you want to get rid of. The lower the intensity of the exercise the better, because more fat is used. So walking helps more than running.

The most important thing to do though, is to make sure that you give your body exactly what/when it needs and not more. This prevents the making of new bodyfat and stimulates the body to use the bodyfat it has.

Al this will happen slowly, because the body needs time to adjust. The amount of food needed will usually decrease accordingly.
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

The body uses (i.e. burns) fat the whole time, 24/7. More or less the same amount. Since muscles also use fat, you can help this a little by using the muscles close to the fat you want to get rid of. The lower the intensity of the exercise the better, because more fat is used. So walking helps more than running.

The most important thing to do though, is to make sure that you give your body exactly what/when it needs and not more. This prevents the making of new bodyfat and stimulates the body to use the bodyfat it has.

Al this will happen slowly, because the body needs time to adjust. The amount of food needed will usually decrease accordingly.
Thanks for your reply.

The problem is that I don't ever eat too much in one sitting or even meet recommendations. Drinking juice with sugar would just decrease my appetite for other foods.

I have continued to walk on the treadmill and have lost 2 lbs. I am also working out so it could have been more. At first I was getting tired at 2.5 mph and now I can go 3.2 mph without getting as tired. This is without juice. At 3.5 mph it will be speedwalking and that doesn't use as much fat, right?
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

Tulip wrote:"Here and there" could mean all day long. I am very sparing with alcohol.
yep, my idea of a shot here and there are very different than some people I know

:lol: