Set point weight

If you want to get rid of overweight
rawfoodhealth
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Set point weight

Post by rawfoodhealth »

I have been doing some reading on the internet and came across this study by Dr. Leibel:

http://healthread.net/why-dieters-regain-leibel.htm

He found that overweight patients who were trying to lose weight had a miserable time after they had lost the weight--they were always hungry and their metabolisms slowed down--they got cold and so on. Their bodies were trying to go back to the set point weight--the weight they were when they first started the diet.

This study and other similar studies seem to imply that the set point weight is the obese weight that overweight people weighed in before they went on various diets, and the set point weight is not the healthy weight that nature intends for us, as the Acne Book tells us it is--the weight which allows us humans to function optimally-climb trees and run away from predators, or the weight that allows cheetahs run fast to catch their prey, etc.

So I am confused about the set point weight. Plus many studies show that less than 5% of (presumably overweight) people achieve long term weight loss (a very low success rate), also strengthening the position that set point weight is the higher weight that overweight people keep gravitating towards once they have gained weight.

Can set point weight change through life? For example, the set point weight for a 5 foot person might be 48 kg when they are young, but through years of yo-yo dieting and therefore slowing the metabolism, the new set point weight is 60 kg.

Is this possible? (If so, it could explain why chronic dieters find it hard to lose weight as they have raised their set point weight.)

Or am I on the wrong track?

I have done yo-yo dieting--starting from a young age when I didn't really need to lose weight, and I just want to know what my chances are of achieving and maintaining a more healthy lower weight after this, or have I permanently reset the set point weight to a much higher one, and that is why it is so difficult to lose weight these days?

If the second explanation is true, that repeated dieting has reset the set point weight to a much higher one (higher than nature intended it to be), is it possible to reset it to a lower one?
Oscar
Administrator

Re: Set point weight

Post by Oscar »

As far as I know, there are two main issues:
1. most dieters (for weight-loss) work against their body
2. they consume addictive and appetite-enhancing foods

ad 1. Eating less in general, and less fat in particular, means the body will conserve the use of body fat. Energy management is not good, which is why they are always hungry.
ad 2. After the diet period has ended, the body will want to stock up on reserves to prepare for the next period of 'food shortage'. This combined with the type of foods, means the 'losses' will be regained. The reliable way to lose weight lastingly is to adopt a diet which one can follow for longer than just a period.

The ideal weight, for the height and build, will only be reached if energy management is optimal, no addictive and appetite-enhancing foods are consumed, and if the body gets what it needs.
RRM
Administrator

Re: Set point weight

Post by RRM »

rawfoodhealth wrote: This study and other similar studies seem to imply that the set point weight is the obese weight that overweight people weighed in before they went on various diets
If that were true, for the last few decades people are suddenly born with a much higher set point weight?
does that seem logical to you?
many studies show that less than 5% of (presumably overweight) people achieve long term weight loss
Of course, because they were fat for a reason.
If that reason did not get eliminated, losing weight will not change that either,
so that they will eventually get fat again.
Can set point weight change through life?
Depends on what your definition of set-point weight is.
Lets see what happens to all those fat people if you put them on a island with access to raw foods only.
Then you will see that this 'higher set-point weight' appears to be not to be there.
I have done yo-yo dieting--starting from a young age when I didn't really need to lose weight, and I just want to know what my chances are of achieving and maintaining a more healthy lower weight after this,
If you are able to do this diet, you can have it for sure.