Fat and cravings

If you want to get rid of overweight
CurlyGirl
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by CurlyGirl »

Sula and Huntress... :D :D my gal-pals on the forum :-)

Thank you for your lovely compliments! Ah, Sula, I'd love to run for World President, tee-hee, but I am an environmental historian (also an aspirant-midwife) and I therefore would appear to have very dangerous ideas about how we human beings should be conducting ourselves on this planet. At least, dangerous ideas according to 'mainstream politics'... So they'd never let even my whiskers in the door :wink: A friend told me once, I could go into politics and 'change the system from the inside' - well, I feel quite happy trying to change the system in my own small way on the OUTSIDE, thank you, where I don't have to make compromises. What the corporate/institutional/political world wants me to do is the complete opposite of what I want to do. It wants a reliable tool, someone who can think, but not for him/herself: who can think instead for the institution. Only if your own beliefs happen to coincide with the beliefs of politics in general, can you do what you want. I'm amazed how many people’s beliefs just happen to match the demands of institutional/political power, however those demands may twist and turn, after they’ve been on the scene for a year or two. Even intelligent, purposeful people can, almost immediately, lose their way in such worlds... They become so busy meeting the needs of their employers and/or electorates (read: corporate sponsors) and trying to survive in the hostile world that they have no time or energy left to develop their own liberating paradigm. So, that's where this idea gets formulated, mostly by new recruits who are uncomfortable with the choice they have made, that the system can be reformed from within. But how many times have we heard young people, who are just entering politics, claim that they really have a 'new' strategy for uplifting the poor, or saving the trees, or working for both social AND environmental justice? And how many times do you see those same people, a few years later, and discover that they've acquired a lifestyle, a car and a mortgage to match their salary, and that their initial ideals have faded to the haziest of memories, which they now dismiss as 'post-adolescent fantasy'. And it's not just people in politics - people in the corporate world too, who just let their freedom trickle away, down the tubes.

Anyway, to me, global politics (especially in the US but increasingly everywhere as the world is 'globalised' economically) is so intimately connected with corporate capitalism that for all this stupid talk about 'social responsibility', politicians respond to the market (indirectly, via their global corporate sponsors) and to the demands of their shareholders (oops... I meant, electorates!), not to their consciences.

Of course, this is not to say that you cannot follow your beliefs within the realm of politics! But in my case, I am a South African national and a caucasian, and our government is focused on black economic empowerment, so there are very few jobs for educated 'white girls' like me, not least educated 'white' girls who are environmentalists and are therefore angry about how Philistine the South African government's environmental policy really is! I mean, we're talking about a country that still runs its cars on LEADED fuel, and lets people use asbestos for home insulation, and doesn't monitor its water properly for heavy metals and oestrogen-mimics! Scary. Now you know why I moved to Scotland! (Not that the environment is being taken all that much more seriously here, mind you...)

Wow, okay, that was another of my marathon-posts. Hope I haven't bored anyone to absolute tears. Huntress, I'm so GLAD you went back to dancing! Hooray! Take it easy, and enjoy your moving, alive, healthy human body! Hey Sula, you wanna write a book about third-wave feminism with me? :-)
slea

Post by slea »

WOW CurlyGirl,

I admire you posts so. You write so well! I wish I could vocalize like that! I feel a lot of your emotions in that post. I have the same views, but I tend to feel so powerless as little me. I will tell you this, I do feel the pain. As you know, the power of the coporations has so many of us becoming "corporate cows". Here in the USA it's almost as bad. It's hard to fight the majority.

Stacy
sula58

Post by sula58 »

CurlyGirl,
Once again, thank you for your insight! You have nothing to gain from your explanations, and I appreciate it both as an eye-opener and/or as a much-needed reminder.
But in relation to this: I wonder, how else are people supposed to make a difference--a Wai/RRM difference!--unless they are somehow strong enough to consciously "play the game"? That is, I wonder sometimes if Wai or RRM have ever considered ostensibly "selling out" to advertisers, etc., in order to widen their audience more quickly and get their book internationally published. Or would that be, in the long run, an unwise approach?
Perhaps I just have no patience, but it pains me that so many people don't know about the diet (and unfortunately a lot of people don't bother looking for it...I guess we were lucky and blessed with the "unsatisfied and will keep searching until explanation is found" gene).
Ah, Sula, I'd love to run for World President
Well, CG, I see that you're Moderator now? Hmm, moving up, are we? Oh, you can't disguse your clever scheming from me! :lol:

Btw, I'd love to write a book with you! I will take care of the Preface/author's notes and you can write the content! Deal?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

LOL

Neale Donald Walsch, the writer of the Conversations with God books, realized that there are a lot of people around who feel (more or less) the same way, and feel powerless to do anything. One of his quotes: "The organized aren't civil, and the civil aren't organized". He is now starting to organize all these people to start changing the world.
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

Hi Stacy (it's nice to know slea's real name) :-)
Thanks! I know it's hard to fight the majority... if not impossible for a single human being. I like the approach you could describe as 'pessimism of the intellect, optimism of the will', i.e. you KNOW that it is impossible for one person to 'overthrow' an evil regime, but in your heart you believe that it is worth fighting for because you couldn't live with yourself otherwise. It helps me get out of bed in the morning, but I sometimes get VERY depressed. Then I try to eat more bananas and dates :wink:, go out for walks in nature, look at insects crawling happily in the grass, and read some books that give me courage, like anything by Thomas Berry, or Peter Matthiessen, or E.F. Schumacher, or poems by e.e. cummings. We have to find ways to be sane in this world! And we don't all have to be 'corporate cows'.

Hey Sula :-)
Also, thank you! I think it the appeal of Wai and RRM's approach lies precisely in the fact that they have NOT sold out to the corporate world, and in their extraordinary generosity of spirit to make this available to us without our first having to click on yet another ubiquitous 'PayPal' icon. ('Just $27 and you'll NEVER need another diet book again!' 'Buy your freedom today!' :roll:) And anyway, how would they pitch this diet, without some publisher grabbing at straws and generating a book that is hardly different from any of the other horrendous diet-plans out there? They would have to go to an 'independent' publisher, which would hardly guarantee a wider readership than the existing and potential readership Wai and RRM already have on the Internet (and besides, they have already proven their sincerity to so many of us here - on this forum and elsewhere - by resisting all of these commercial lures). Okay, perhaps this may restrict the scope of their influence, but then again, perhaps in the end there will be greater numbers of loyal followers of Wai and RRM's thinking than, say, of the South Beach Diet or the Beverley Hills Diet or *insert generic fad diet*... I am guessing that because it takes a little more tenacity and determination to find this diet (and by extension the whole way of thinking associated with it), that is the guarantor in some respects of a small but loyal, interconnected and self-respecting 'band' of Waians that have great power to help other people through their own example. (This tenacity relates to what you said, Sula, about the 'keep-searching-till-satisfied 'gene' we appear to have. Indeed I think we are all born with this 'gene' - ! - just think of any human toddler with his/her constant stream of questions, especially, 'Why, Mommy?' 'Why, Daddy?' But corporate culture slowly erases this tendency to question everything... sometimes I think the worst thing to happen to a child is school. But of course schooling doesn't have to erase this curiosity - just look at Maria Montessori's work, among others.)

It pains me, too, that so many people don't know about this diet, and immediately dismiss it as 'nonsense' when they first hear what the basic principles are... but I firmly believe that the message will slowly trickle into people's minds as they get fed up with the diet industry and the world of consumerism and the pharmaceutical/medical industry too, and seek a more ethical and self-nurturing way to live and eat and heal the body. All we can do is follow our inner wisdom and hope that it makes us so radiant that other people will not be able to resist wanting to know the secret to the same inner peace and outer glow. This is a very different phenomenon from the banal goal of 'thinness' determined by the diet 'gurus' out there.
sula58 wrote:Well, CG, I see that you're Moderator now? Hmm, moving up, are we? Oh, you can't disguse your clever scheming from me!
Tee-hee... darn! My cover's blown! :wink:
sula58 wrote:Btw, I'd love to write a book with you! I will take care of the Preface/author's notes and you can write the content! Deal?
Ah, how fiendishly cunning of you... I suspect I'm somehow on the short end of this deal :? Maybe you can just proofread it as I go along and bring me OJ and egg yolks every hour, eh? :wink: hehehe
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

Well said CurlyGirl!
CurlyGirl wrote:I think it the appeal of Wai and RRM's approach lies precisely in the fact that they have NOT sold out to the corporate world, and in their extraordinary generosity of spirit to make this available to us without our first having to click on yet another ubiquitous 'PayPal' icon. ('Just $27 and you'll NEVER need another diet book again!' 'Buy your freedom today!' )
and also:
perhaps in the end there will be greater numbers of loyal followers of Wai and RRM's thinking
I think living proof and word of mouth are the best ways to get more people to their senses and hopfully to the Wai-diet.
Recently, each time I've been in a social situation my diet has come up (I didn't mention it) and I've had the chance to talk about it to usually one person who is genuinely interested. The other night a collegue asked me "but why would you do such a strick diet?" and another awnsered for me "well just look at her!"
That was cool...People SEE and FEEL the difference in you and they will be naturally attracted to this and at some point will come to their senses.
huntress

Post by huntress »

People SEE and FEEL the difference in you and they will be naturally attracted to this and at some point will come to their senses.
Exactly! :D

WoW Corrine, I bet that was one of the best compliments you've ever had!
sula58

Post by sula58 »

CurlyGirl wrote:
I think it the appeal of Wai and RRM's approach lies precisely in the fact that they have NOT sold out to the corporate world, and in their extraordinary generosity of spirit to make this available to us without our first having to click on yet another ubiquitous 'PayPal' icon.
Yes! Not to sound corny, but it's people like Wai and RRM who make me have faith in humanity...no joke.
but I firmly believe that the message will slowly trickle into people's minds as they get fed up with the diet industry and the world of consumerism and the pharmaceutical/medical industry too, and seek a more ethical and self-nurturing way to live and eat and heal the body.
You're right! Perhaps I am just so concerned about "getting the message out there"--no matter how (which I now see is not how I should be thinking about it), because I keep thinking "what if I wouldn't have found this diet?" It scares me to think that I could still be so stuck--not just physically, but mentally, enslaved by the corporate trap that (like what you mentioned about school) is virtually set up for everyone to fall into. I still consider finding the diet one of the greatest things that has ever happen to me and it pains me to think that I discovered it, in some ways, just out of pure luck ("curiousity gene" aside!).
All we can do is follow our inner wisdom and hope that it makes us so radiant that other people will not be able to resist wanting to know the secret to the same inner peace and outer glow.
I love your optimism and I full-heartedly believe in this, too!
Maybe you can just proofread it as I go along and bring me OJ and egg yolks every hour, eh? hehehe
Oh, I am so glad that we share the same vision for our book! Of course, I would love to bring you food every hour! And then I'd lock you back in your room, and exchange nods with the whip-yielding, sour-faced Russian woman who has been instructed to lash you if you don't produce enough pages for the day. Ahh, what a perfect arrangement, indeed. (sigh) :)
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

We're getting a bit off topic! I don't mind but since this thread is about fat and cravings...I want to say that I still have cravings... :?
It's probably because I still nibble on an olive or a tiny bit of cheese...maybe once a week...so therefore I'm still addicted and it makes it harder to resit when something's there in front of me. If there are these foods around I'm tempted but usually I can stay away from any non sample diet except that one little time/bite when I don't. I havn't broken down though and had a whole munch meal.
I'm I correct in thinking that it's difficult or that I get cravings precisly because I eat that little bite now and then? All those 100% ers out there...
THoughts?
huntress

Post by huntress »

Corrinne :D

I still do have cravings even still after being 100% for 4 months now. They are even stronger when I am nearing the start of my cycle. The cravings will not cease if you don't stop eating them. But when you do, your cravings gets stronger but luckily, they WILL eventually fade away in 4-5 days or so.

So what I suggest you do Corrinne is to refrain yourself away from places or situations that will trigger your cravings. The next 4-5 days will be agonizing days because you will crave them badly but after that period of time, you will see that your cravings will diminish.

I suggest you do this in between your cycle because, from my experience, it is almost near impossible to curb my cravings when I am in between the end and the beginning of my cycle. For some reason, my hunger level surges right before my period. Do you or anyone else have this problem as well?
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

Sula :-)
It's taken me a while to post a response to what you said... it also struck me once, somewhat unsettlingly, how - in different circumstances, with just a few modifications here and there - I might not have stumbled across this diet. Oh, about the prickly Russian dame... *cringe* *wince* erm.... perhaps we could suspend talks about the book collaboration for the moment...? tee-hee

Corinne :-)
I do still get cravings. In fact, I was complaining to Oscar about this the other day, and he gave me the same advice that huntress (:-D) just gave in this thread - namely, to stay away from munchfoods until the cravings have subsided. And yes, I too experience a surge in hunger right around menstruation (though it actually starts a few days before). Just by the way, I also found, in the days when I was still counting calories - :roll: - that I could eat about 500 calories extra every day for the duration of my period, and not put on any weight. So perhaps we need this extra energy? I don't know why.

But my weakness currently is dark chocolate.

'Currently'? What am I saying? My weakness has ALWAYS been dark chocolate! And occasionally I look bleakly down at my mashed-banana-and-egg-yolk breakfast and dream of the days when I would eat Birchermuesli (soaked oats, almonds, grated apple, yoghurt) while curled up in bed with my morning tea. *sigh* I guess you could say I'm having some difficulties with cravings at the moment! I wish my skin weren't so susceptible to dirty protein.... grrrrrrrrrrrr
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

Thanks Huntress!
I'll start tomorrow...or maybe in about 10 days...er hum after the beginning of my next cycle! :wink:

And Thanks CurlyGirl! I too used to crave dark bitter chocolat but that is finished now...Like I said it's more towards salty things like cheese and Olives.
I also used to eat Birchermuesli with yoghurt and apples and a cup of tea...
yeah thoses days are gone... Sometimes I'm sad (crazy no?) but it really proves it's a mental thing. It's hard for us to imagine we won't be eating something we've eaten for the past 20 years or more.
huntress

Post by huntress »

You are very welcome Corrinne! I hope you'll overcome your cravings for olives and cheese for good.You can do it! :wink:
I could eat about 500 calories extra every day for the duration of my period, and not put on any weight
That's GOOD news CurlyGirl! :D
I could see from your other post that you've substituted OO with Coconut oil and that you've also lost more weight! *Hurrah* :o I've always wanted to make Coconut oil in lieu of OO as my fat source. And like Corrinne, I was also concerned on whether the Coconut oil would mix well with OJ. But after reading your positive post, you've now erased my doubts on Coconut oil. Thank you! :D

And occasionally I look bleakly down at my mashed-banana-and-egg-yolk breakfast and dream of the days when I would eat Birchermuesli (soaked oats, almonds, grated apple, yoghurt) while curled up in bed with my morning tea
Aww CurlyGirl.... Well, you're not the only one. And you are right on Corrinne, I missed eating the foods I ate for the past 20 years too. But lets look on the positive side of this diet and how it has changed us to be the better part of us. 8)
slea

Post by slea »

Hey all. I am getting ready to start and I am having the cravings issue with a twist, after all I am the one who started the munch food cravings thread not long ago. You know what is really weird? A week before my cycle, I get the craziest cravings for bacon, cheese and things of that nature. Salt and fat. Well, my cycle should be starting any day and the last two days, the cravings have been almost non-existent. I have been 100 % besides a small amout of chocolate for two days. Now THAT is confusing me. Just a few days before I was out of control. My appetite is very low now and I have not been eating my egg yolks because they just don't sound good. In fact, I am really not that hungry for any thing. I haven't eaten an egg yolk in over a week and I haven't had any salmon in two weeks. I have been wanting a soda and I am fighting that right now. Oh, and my rosacea is out of control. (I get little red bumps on the center of my face) I love being a woman. lol
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Errr make sure you're getting the cholesterol you need... :?