dietary fat going to body fat

If you want to get rid of overweight
johndela1
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

dietary fat going to body fat

Post by johndela1 »

I'm reading an article that says that calories from conventional sources of fat are prone to be stored as fat since they already have the same molecular structure as body fat.

is this true? I mean does over eating fat make you fatter than overeating carbs or protein?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Protein isn't stored in the body.
So what are carbs stored as then?
avo

Post by avo »

Over eating anything will cause weight gain, if you surpass what your body needs to maintain current weight. I think I read somewhere (A book by Udo Erasmus) that simple carbohydrates may actually be more likely to be stored as fat, but that is not an issue if you only eat what you need.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

Oscar,

I think they are implying that fat storage from fat is more efficient, not that fat is the only thing that can create body fat.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Well yeah, most fats go immediately to storage anyway and are stored as such. But the fat cells have a very active metabolism, so whenever you need fat(ty acids), it will be transported. More than 40% of total daily energy requirements is fatty energy.

But the point is moot. Like avo said, energy management is the key. Consuming more than you need means storage for later.
RRM
Administrator

Re: dietary fat going to body fat

Post by RRM »

johndela1 wrote:does over eating fat make you fatter than overeating carbs or protein?
No, given that the amounts of kcal and the number of meals etc are the same.
For example: If you need 3,000 kcal, and thats exactly what you eat and they are all from fat, you will utilize them all.
If you consume 3,100 kcal in protein (or sugar or fat), 100 kcal of them will be stored as fat.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

It's not possible that storing fat is easier and more calories will be stored as opposed to storing carbs. If excess carbs have to be converted into fat wouldn't that take energy? I mean waste or burn energy. If not, that would be amazing efficiency, wouldn't it?

I guess I'm under the impression that if you overeat 100 cal not exactly 100 will be stored but something less.
avo

Post by avo »

I guess how much energy is required to convert. Fat has to be converted as well, it isn't just like a puzzle piece snapping in place. I believe (but could be very mistaken) that fat is broken down (converted, if you will) into usable energy. If this energy is not needed, it is converted into the building blocks of energy storage, and deposited in the bodys fat stores located througout the body. Probably not as efficient as one would imagine.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I think fat is only broken down if the energy is actually needed, otherwise it stays in triglycerid form.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

johndela1 wrote:It's not possible that storing fat is easier and more calories will be stored as opposed to storing carbs.
Indeed; I didnt say that.
If excess carbs have to be converted into fat wouldn't that take energy?
Sure, a little.
I guess I'm under the impression that if you overeat 100 cal not exactly 100 will be stored but something less.
Of course, but I dont think thats the point.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

that wasn't the point, but I was saying if it isnt a %100 percent conversion then maybe fat is closer to %100 than carbs

That is what I was wondering about.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I understand. I just think thats of no importance when compared to the size of meals, frequency of eating, current blood energy (including protein) levels, etc.