Calories, losing weight, water retention

If you want to get rid of overweight
slea
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by slea »

One other thing, is salt poision to the body even if it's in small amounts? I know it's a needed mineral but some people say we should not add any at all and that it makes the body retain water because it is poision to the body. I remember reading somewhere on this board about it taking a few days for your body to regulate sodium if your intake changes. Could I just be super sensitive to salt now? Should I add more so when I do eat munch foods I don't swell up so bad? I know munch foods aren't optimal, but it's more for the social aspect. I guess you can't have it all.... :x
benzapp

Post by benzapp »

slea wrote:One other thing, is salt poision to the body even if it's in small amounts? I know it's a needed mineral but some people say we should not add any at all and that it makes the body retain water because it is poision to the body. I remember reading somewhere on this board about it taking a few days for your body to regulate sodium if your intake changes. Could I just be super sensitive to salt now? Should I add more so when I do eat munch foods I don't swell up so bad? I know munch foods aren't optimal, but it's more for the social aspect. I guess you can't have it all.... :x
Salt is absolutely essential to your survival, it is how your body regulates osmotic pressure in every cell. Salt is not a poison, but using it as a condiment is somewhat unnatural and can lead to water retention. Salt is for the purposes of this diet a munch food. You should definitely wait for your acne to clear before trying it. Then you can judge its effects.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Also, there is sodium in every food, including every fruit, so that there is no way you can lack sodium (unless it has been drained from your body because of diahrrea for example, and you havent been able to replenish it).
What people may mean to say, is that we dont need added salt.
Acne patients on the sample diet are always sensitive to salt because water retention has been decreased, so that any increase (inevitably caused by the intake of salt) is readily noticed; it will probably cause pimples.
As Ben said: wait with experiments until your skin has totally cleared.
slea

Post by slea »

Thanks for the replies, but I think my other post on the previous page was missed? I posted two, probally should have just edited. Any way, I don't have acne. I used to, but dairy seemed to be my trigger. I used to have severe cystic acne and I haven't had it in years. Unfortunately, I took acutane and it was before I found this site. I was in my early twenties when I took it and now I am in my late thirties so this info wasn't even around yet and I didn't even own a computer any way! lol I'm just trying to figure out weight issues. :wink:
benzapp

Post by benzapp »

slea wrote:I'm back with an update. I am a little confused with the results I have had. The last month I did 30 days raw Wai style with only two bites of munch food, not even a whole meal for the whole month. I did have some homemade salad dressing that had vinegar in it and a dash of salt, but it was all raw. Last weekend my boyfriend and I decided to have a munch weekend. We had one munch meal each day. I gained three pounds (115 to 118) eating the same calories, so obviously it's water weight. I started a juice, oil, egg yolk and nuts only this Monday. I'm having fruit juice, mainly orange juice mixed with evo, a couple of hand fulls of nuts and four egg yolks a day. I sip on the juice all day and eat the nuts when I have the munchies. I have went from 118 to 113 in four days. I look totally different. I am looking like I want to start looking, lean and muscle definition. Why didn't the weight loss happen when I was eating whole raw foods? I am eating the same amound of calories and nutrients. Could I be allergic to something making me retain the water? I just can't imagine not having any more whole foods like fruits ever again. :?
I think that sounds like fairly normal weight variation. Let's not forget that home scales probably have a 1% variance rate. They are not that accurate.

How exactly do you look different?

Also, your post is a bit difficult to follow. Are you saying that you gained water weight as a result of eating munch foods?
slea

Post by slea »

Also, your post is a bit difficult to follow. Are you saying that you gained water weight as a result of eating munch foods?
I gained the extra three pounds after I ate the munch food. I am assuming it is water weight because there is no way you can gain that much fat in two days if your calories are the same. Plus it had more salt and I usually don't consume salt. I eat about 1000 calories a day.
I think that sounds like fairly normal weight variation. Let's not forget that home scales probably have a 1% variance rate. They are not that accurate.
I have used the same scales for over four years. My weight is very steady. It only varies from 116-115 unless I eat munch foods. Then it can go as high as 119 the next day after I eat a munch meal if it is salty.

In a nut shell, I just noticed since I have started basically drinking juice with olive oil and eating a few nuts, my weight has gone under what I normally weigh(115, normal weight to 113) and I have more definition, and I don't look as soft. My calories are the same. It makes me wonder if my body is holding onto water because something in my diet is causing my body to retain water. The only munch foods I allow which is very rare, is vinegar. This weekend I had some salty munch food which I attribute to the three pound weight gain. I very rarely eat salty foods, or even have any in my diet. I used to have soy sauce with my sashimi, but I rarely do that any more. Even when I did it didn't cause me to retain that much water. Maybe a pound difference the next day, if at all.

So I guess, maybe I should ask, can vinegar cause you to retain water? Could I be allergic to bananas, pineapple, berries, or avocado? I have heard the body will hold onto water if there is something irritating it. Or is it the fiber in my intestines making my body retain? It seems if that were the case I wouldn't notice the way my skin looks less swolen, it would all be in the intestines. The fruits mentioned above are the things that I have not had lately that I usually eat every day. I'm just trying to figure out why I am retaining so much water. Normal Wai diet = some water retention. Mainly liquid diet = a lot less water retention. Sorry so long! :wink:
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

slea wrote:The only munch foods I allow which is very rare, is vinegar.
Thats not a munch food; its safe.
This weekend I had some salty munch food which I attribute to the three pound weight gain.
Yes, that is certainly possible. Thats because with the sample diet your salt levels are relativel;y low so that an occasional higher intake of salt can readily cause substantial water retention.
can vinegar cause you to retain water?
No, its that one time intake of salt.
Its BECAUSE you now consume very little salt that consuming more just once can make such a big difference.

BTW; I hope you also eat fish / egg yolks?
slea

Post by slea »

RRM,

Yes, I am having four egg yolks a day and I had some sashimi last night. I eat fish at least two times a week. The only solids I have had this week are the nuts I eat and the sushi that I had last night.

Well, it's good to know that vinegar cannot make me retain water because I like it on my cucumbers and tomato salads!

Do you think maybe the two extra pounds I lost may have actually been fat and I just lost it coincidentally from the 30 day stretch before I started drinking the juice only and eliminated the fiber? The reason I am asking so many questions is because I have not been under 115 in years and I want it to stay that way! lol

Thanks for your help! :)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

slea wrote:Do you think maybe the two extra pounds I lost may have actually been fat
Maybe, but as it coincides with the change in diet, it more likely is related to that change (so that its both fat and muscle).
Most people forget to drink often enough when they start drinking more juices instead of solid food. With juices, your food (juice) intake should be much more frequent. If not, you will loose weight.
I suspect you simply dont drink often enough.
Drink more frequently until the weightloss has been compensated for.
slea

Post by slea »

RRM,

I drink six ounces of juice with a teaspoon of olive oil every hour from 8am to 9pm. In the morning I have two egg yolks with juice and the same at night. I also drink a little water here and there. Every two or three hours while at work I have a few nuts (5-7) usually macadamias.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Your juice plus OO = 124 kcal / hour = 1364 kcal from 8am to 9pm
4 egg yolks = 14 kcal.
about 24 macadamia nuts = 444 kcal
Thats 1822 kcal in total, which is not much at all. So that if you are loosing weight its easy to find out how: by taking in too little energy. Solution: take in more.
More importantly, do you only drink once per hour?
If so, your blood sugar will first go up too much and will then go down way before the end of the hour, which will result in the loss of muscle due to conversion into available energy
slea

Post by slea »

I left out that I add a two ounces of water to my oj, so it is really only four ounces. Are you thinking that I am not wanting to loose weight? Because I AM wanting to loose weight. That has been my goal for a while. I have been trying to get to 110 lbs. So, I guess that means that I am doing the right thing if I am loosing weight. Which makes me happy! My orginal inquiry was that if I am eating the same calories now as I was with solid foods, why am I loosing weight when just sipping juice and olive oil? Is it that I am taking in smaller amounts more frequently? Hopefully, this will be my last question on this thread! Thanks!
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

slea wrote:Are you thinking that I am not wanting to loose weight? Because I AM wanting to loose weight.
Oh, Im sorry, I misunderstood.
My orginal inquiry was that if I am eating the same calories now as I was with solid foods, why am I loosing weight when just sipping juice and olive oil? Is it that I am taking in smaller amounts more frequently?
Yes. When eating less frequent, the meals are bigger. And when the meals are bigger, a higher percentage of the ingested energy is stored as glycogen and adipose fat.
Consuming meals more frequently means storing less fat, and losing overweight is not about burning more, but about storing less.
Of course counting calories is never 100% accurate. With this diet you are loosing fat while you dont have the feeling that you eat less.
Hopefully, this will be my last question on this thread! Thanks!
You are free to ask as many questions as you want. Thats what this board is for.