walking; how many hours? treadmill?

If you want to get rid of overweight
phantomwandererV
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

walking; how many hours? treadmill?

Post by phantomwandererV »

How many hours should I walk a day? I'm 15 pounds overweight. Is it ok to walk on the treadmill for keeping up a good pace?
RRM
Administrator

Re: walking; how many hours? treadmill?

Post by RRM »

phantomwandererV wrote:How many hours should I walk a day? I'm 15 pounds overweight.
The longer, the better, but one hour a day is okay if you keep up a good pace. (but dont run)
It also depends on how active you are. Do you have a desk job, or a more physically active one?
Is it ok to walk on the treadmill for keeping up a good pace?
Absolutely, but then you need to do something else in the meantime as well, as reading a book or something similar, so that its not too boring, because you want to be able to keep doing it and spend your time well.

Regarding losing overweight it is key to prevent storage of new fat, which you can accomplish by emptying your glycogen depots daily (by walking) and by consuming no large meals, but lots of very small meals throughout the day; you need to learn your direct need for energy, so that you can eat according to your needs.
Leno

Re: walking; how many hours? treadmill?

Post by Leno »

RRM wrote: Do you have a desk job, or a more physically active one?
I do have a desk job; my work is very demanding and sometimes prevents me from taking the time to walk during the day-I think I will get a gym membership closer to my work and make an extra effort. I'm already pretty slender but I have stubborn stomach fat that will not go away! The stomach fat has prevented allowing my ab muscles to "pop out." I don't think I've nailed down this "listen to your body" in regard to energy needs yet. I want to better control my calorie intake but will doing so conflict with the need to ingest all the necessary nutrients my body needs?
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

Why run on a treadmill instead of simply eating a little less (the amount equal to the small amount of energy you would have burned on the treadmill)
Leno

Post by Leno »

johndela1 wrote:Why run on a treadmill instead of simply eating a little less (the amount equal to the small amount of energy you would have burned on the treadmill)
Again, my concern is, as a result of eating less, not ingesting enough food to properly supply my body with the required nutrients it needs to "look good" and allow my brain to function properly. I guess I will need to experiment.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

I think you can eat enough to easily supply your nutrients needs and yet lose not gain and even slowly lose (if that is your goal).
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Like John said, you can lose the extra fat by eating less (make sure you eat enough clean fats though), but walking (not running) on a treadmill can help as well.