Munch food recipe (rice, bacon, raw yolks)

All recipes other than 100% Wai can be posted here.
avalon
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Munch food recipe (rice, bacon, raw yolks)

Post by avalon »

LAST CHANCE! MUNCH-FOOD WARNING! PROCEED WITH CAUTION!

Oh how wicked and delicious this was!

Ingredients- doesn't get much simpler:

Brown Rice
Bacon
2 egg yolks

Make the rice and chop some pre-cooked bacon into pieces (the amount depends on your arteries) and mix into rice. Top with two egg yolks. Mix, or not, and serve. Let the rice cool so you don't cook the yolks. The Bacon is the seasoning.

A week ago during a moment of depression, I shamefully made some home-made spaghetti carbonara! Cream, butter, yolks bacon, AHH!... took me three days to get back on track. :shock: Unfortunately I didn't throw out the half a pack of uncooked bacon. And had planned on yolks and rice for dinner...then I remembered...it was still there, calling me... baaccooonnn... bbbaacccooonnn...

The camera pans left and fades to black. All we hear are voices...

CLEAR!

CLEAR!

I'm sorry Doctor, it was the, Bacon!
Bambi726

Post by Bambi726 »

LOL! :lol: That sounds really yummy, avalon. No need to apologize to the Doctor - s(he) probably prescribes things much worse than bacon on a daily basis! :wink:

~Amber
Chin-Chin

Post by Chin-Chin »

Mmm,

I try to stay away from pork. The rest of the recipe sounds wonderful!
avalon

Post by avalon »

Me too Chin-Chin, It was the first time I had bacon in I think close to 6 months! Maybe longer.

hmmm...what about bits of smoked salmon instead?
Chin-Chin

Post by Chin-Chin »

maybe garlic and onion? Or soy sauce?
avo

Post by avo »

Short-grain, medium or long-grain brown rice? When I [used to] eat brown rice, I've always preferred medium; short is too sweet and sticky, long is too blah.

Quinoa and millet are awesome, they used to be a staple of mine when I did macrobiotic. I would cook some plain or with some veggies and a little seasoning, and pile it on top of a flat rye- or spelt- bread.
avalon

Post by avalon »

Quinoa and millet
How's this for naive- I know I've seen these words but haven't got a clue if I've ever eaten these words :) I'll look them up in a second and see.

I've only been using the long grain brown rice and don't use rice very often at all, but will look into trying the medium. I like brown rice when I just am feeling like a fairly simple filler meal. Like the egg yolks over rice- so simple :)
avalon

Post by avalon »

Quinoa sounds really interesting and what a history!

This recipe came from a local Supermarket. I had a taste test and it was delicious. Very lacto-vegetarian. I'm sure the cheese can be left out or substituted. The recipe doesn't say 'raw' cheese, but the less processed the better.

MARINATED MUSHROOMS

8 ounces whole baby portabella mushrooms
1/4 cup water
1/4 x 2 tablesppons balsamic vinaigrette (home-made of course), divided
1/2 teaspoon garlic sea salt
4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese (pref. raw) with salsa
1 cup grape tomatoes (rinsed)
3 tablespoons shelled sunflower seeds
juice of 1/2 lemon (1 tablespoon)
3 ounces baby arugula salad greens
1/4 cup pre-sliced green onions or chives

1. rinse mushrooms, cut in half if desired. Mix with 1/4 cup vinaigrette and garlic salt and let shrooms soak in flavor then drain.

2. Slice cheese into bite-size pieces and place in bowl with the mushrooms, tomatoes, sunflower seeds, lemon juice, and remaining 2 tablespoons vinaigrette; stir until well blended.

3. Divide argula and place in individual salad bowls. Top with mushroom mixture; sprinkle with green onions/chives and serve.
avalon

Post by avalon »

Okay, I love learning about new foods. Not so new I find out. Quinoa, has been around for nearly 6000 years! And I love it! I've made it twice and topped it with raw yolks! As Wai had mentioned yolk over brown rice as a munch food, I'd like to ad Quinoa as an alternate choice.

Wikipedia:
Quinoa was of great nutritional importance in pre-Columbian Andean civilizations, being secondary only to the potato, and followed in third place by maize. In contemporary times this crop has come to be highly appreciated for its nutritional value, and the United Nations has classified it as a super crop for its very high protein content (12%–18%). Unlike wheat or rice (which are low in lysine), quinoa contains a balanced set of essential amino acids for humans, making it an unusually complete foodstuff. This means it takes less quinoa protein to meet one's needs than wheat protein. It is a good source of dietary fiber and phosphorus and is high in magnesium and iron. Quinoa is gluten free and considered easy to digest. Because of all these characteristics, quinoa is being considered as a possible crop in NASA's Controlled Ecological Life Support System for long-duration manned spaceflights.
Best wishes,
Avalon :D