Protein before or after exercise?

How to prevent unwanted weightloss, and/or even gain muscles
fred
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by fred »

(EDIT) Split off from a different thread: (/EDIT)
Both amino acids and glucose stimulate insulin secretion and the satiety hormones,
some amino acids even more than glucose does.
Particularly if you consume sugars and then protein,
there will be a very 'broad satisfying' effect.
If after 3 hours without eating, leading to a low energy level, a (lean) protein meal gives me a boost of energy, does this mean that the energy comes from the amino-acids converted to glucose ?
I am just surprised that the energy boost from protein comes as fast as the energy boost from glucose.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

fred wrote: If after 3 hours without eating, leading to a low energy level, a (lean) protein meal gives me a boost of energy, does this mean that the energy comes from the amino-acids converted to glucose ?
Yes.
I am just surprised that the energy boost from protein comes as fast as the energy boost from glucose.
Yes, thats a widely spread misconception;
most people dont know about these effects (including on insulin) of amino acids.
Particularly amino acids such as alanine (directly yielding pyruvate) and glutamate (directly yielding a-keto glutarate)
are a great source of direct energy.
http://www.rpi.edu/dept/bcbp/molbiochem ... carbon.htm
Rivera

Post by Rivera »

RRM wrote:Its better to consume that protein (and more sugars) right after the exercise,
which will stimulate the uptake of amino acids in muscle tissue.
But every bodybuilders advise to take proteins (shake) before training too. So it is really wrong to do this?

Do you think that without supplements/shakes, it is almost impossible to gain some muscles?
I mean, without the amino acids pills, even if I eat 240 gr of salmon per day, I can't progress. And I don't have big muscles.
So I'm surprised, it seems impossible to do a 110 lbs bench press without supplement. I tried eating a lot, it didn't help.
RRM
Administrator

Re: Workout with low glycogen stores ?

Post by RRM »

Rivera wrote:
RRM wrote:Its better to consume that protein (and more sugars) right after the exercise,
which will stimulate the uptake of amino acids in muscle tissue.
But every bodybuilders advise to take proteins (shake) before training too. So it is really wrong to do this?
That depends on your situation.
If your protein intake is restricted (due to acne or other reasons), then its a waste of protein.
If you consume lots of protein anyway, its okay.
Do you think that without supplements/shakes, it is almost impossible to gain some muscles?
Absolutely not.
Currently im experimenting with higher protein intakes (as my skin has finally become more tolerant),
and im progressing rapidly.
even if I eat 240 gr of salmon per day, I can't progress. And I don't have big muscles.
Some people cant progress no matter what diet and/or exercise regime.
Have you ever had bigger muscles than this?
What kind of exercise program/routine do you use?
it seems impossible to do a 110 lbs bench press without supplement.
Now 110 lbs is not a problem at all for me, though it used to be only a few months priorly,
when i was on 133 grams of fish maximally. (currently 266 gram daily; im 1.89 m. tall)
Though that was partially so because at work im running around almost constantly,
which breaks down muscles.
djkvan

Post by djkvan »

Have you been more active lately? Perhaps the extra protein is going towards energy usage? Perhaps you are subconsciously expending more energy, walking faster at work for example, to accommodate the increased protein intake. So many greys.
I do so like green eggs and ham. Thank you, thank you. Sam I am.
RRM
Administrator

Re: Workout with low glycogen stores ?

Post by RRM »

Have you been more active lately? Perhaps the extra protein is going towards energy usage?
No, in January and February business is always slow.
Perhaps you are subconsciously expending more energy
LESS energy, as im always walking less fast in this particular season.
From April to June i will be using much more energy.
So many greys.
No, this picture is quite clear.
Rivera

Re: Protein before or after exercise?

Post by Rivera »

When switching for a couple of weeks on a 99% protein diet (no more sugar), what would you recommend for having enough energy before working out and for not losing muscles ?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Bulking up on protein after exercise.
So much so, that your glycogen depots get completely replenished. (source: glucogenic amino acids)
You will have the same energy for your work out as compared to bulking up on carbs.
You will actually feel more energetic during work out if you stop eating several hours (>4) prior to the work out.(so that there is very little eenrgy required for digestion)
Rivera

Post by Rivera »

Thanks. Do I need more fat than usual ?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

No, protein is partly glucogenic (yielding glucose) and partly ketogenic (yielding fatty acids).