Waking up with hunger pangs...

How to prevent unwanted weightloss, and/or even gain muscles
avo
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Waking up with hunger pangs...

Post by avo »

Nearly every morning recently I have been waking up with hunger pangs. Somewhere between 5-6 hours after having my last meal, my body just cannot continue sleeping, as the hunger becomes overwhelming. I am still tired, but I cannot get back to sleep unless I eat something solid (but by that point I'm too awake to sleep). After I wake up I'll just sip OJ for a good portion of the day, so it's not feasible to go back to sleep right away, as I'll need more sips in 10-15 minutes.

My typical last meal consists of 50-65 grams raw fish, with a drizzle of EVOO. Or on every other night, 3-4 yolks stirred in a couple ounces of OJ. Several times I have eaten 2 bananas and yolks at bedtime, only to awaken with the same problem.

What can I do to allow myself to sleep more? I know it probably means I don't eat enough during the day (even though I am gaining weight slowly), but I try... I really do.

Also, somewhat unrelated and off-topic, sometimes even before I wake up from hunger, I will be awoken by some noise: the garbage truck driving down the street, a car starting across the road, even a creak in the house from wind or something. I used to wear earplugs, but after several recent break-ins in my neighborhood, I decided it would be best to stay aware. I know it is probably futile, as I would wake up from hunger soon enough, but just curious if anyone else is a light sleeper and how they cope.

Any input is appreciated.
RRM
Administrator

Re: Waking up with hunger pangs...

Post by RRM »

avo wrote:Nearly every morning recently I have been waking up with hunger pangs. Somewhere between 5-6 hours after having my last meal, my body just cannot continue sleeping, as the hunger becomes overwhelming.
A combined lack of energy in your liver (glycogen) and your intestines (sold food still digested). So, though you manage to gain weight, in the night you obviously dont replenish your liver glycogen. In your case eating a big salad before sleep might help. (normally that is not advised, because the digestion may keep you awake)
What can I do to allow myself to sleep more? I know it probably means I don't eat enough during the day (even though I am gaining weight slowly), but I try... I really do.
It may be only specific to the night.
just curious if anyone else is a light sleeper and how they cope.
Sleeping light may have the same cause.
Have you tried more raw egg yolks?
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

I am the same way. Have you considered raising your daily calorie intake in general? Are you losing weight or running a calorie defecit in general?
RedBird27

Post by RedBird27 »

Usually when I get really hungry my blood sugar is getting low. What I found to work the best at minimizing any real hunger during the day and night was incorporating alot of coconut oil into my diet. Could try eating a tablespoon or two three times a day and see if that helps with your hunger. Its not to scientific and maybe RRM might know why it helps me but it can't hurt.
nick

Post by nick »

I sometimes wake-up from a good 8-9 sleep and can still feel the energy burn from sleeping. Sometimes I won't eat for a 1/2 hour. But usually a banana or apple is good for breakfast. Cantelope is the best though.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

I don't really know why this is, but if I eat before bed I wake up really hungry, but if I go to bed hungry I wake up and don't feel the need to eat for hours. Anyone have any ideas?
avo

Post by avo »

-Hey RRM, I just realized that there is no solid food inside me during the night; earlier in the day I have my tomato/avocado salad, but less than 12 hours later, the food is no longer 'with me,' if you get what I'm saying. Is that too quick of a digestion/assimilation time? Trust me, the 'movement' consists of exactly what was eaten earlier that same day.

The only thing I am sleeping with is a tummy full (well, not full really) of fish.

What is only specific to the night? I'm not sure I know what you mean...

How many more yolks do you mean, RRM? I really don't like them, they make me gag as it is. I am spolied by real, fresh, local eggs back in NY. All I have are crappy storebought eggs. Not crappy at all, actually, the health food store has some good organic and/or fertile eggs. Good turnover too, but I don't know how fresh they are to begin with.

- Johndela, I try to get as many calories as I can, already. I can only do about ~2L OJ (with sugar/oil), plus avo/tomato/oil salad, and some fish.

Actually, the less sleep I get means more time to eat/sip OJ = more calories. Catch 22?

I never go to sleep hungry, my body won't allow it; I'll wake up at 2am to eat.

- Redbird: Hmm, I always used to eat some coconut oil, but not lately. Coincidence? Maybe saturated fats have some role in this?

- Nick: Exactly! I'm glad I'm not the only one. Sometimes I want food bad, other times, I'm good for a bit. But not recently.

Thanks for your comments, hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

RedBird27 wrote:Could try eating a tablespoon or two three times a day and see if that helps with your hunger. Its not to scientific ...
Well, actually it is; the extra oil 'spares' glucose, as the extra fat supplies you with energy that replaces some of the required glucose, so that more glucose can be stored as glycogen.
johndela1 wrote:I don't really know why this is, but if I eat before bed I wake up really hungry, but if I go to bed hungry I wake up and don't feel the need to eat for hours. Anyone have any ideas?
Thats because your body adapts to the energy available. If too lttile glucose is available throughout the night, it simply secretes hormones that stimulate the breakdown of bodyfat and muscle protein for energy. And in the morning you still use that energy.
avo wrote:-Hey RRM, I just realized that there is no solid food inside me during the night; earlier in the day I have my tomato/avocado salad, but less than 12 hours later, the food is no longer 'with me,'
That was exactly what I was suggesting. Maybe you can eat an extra salad before you eat the fish?
Is that too quick of a digestion/assimilation time?

With this diet, usually the stool consists of that what was eaten the day before. So, if you generally have the same eating pattern, it may simply be yesterday's food. No?
What is only specific to the night? I'm not sure I know what you mean...
If most of the energy in the solid food you ate has already been distracted from that food once its night, then specifically at night there is less energy available from the food that is being digested. So that 'this lack' is specific for the night.
How many more yolks do you mean, RRM? I really don't like them, they make me gag as it is.
Well, dont take them then.
I don't know how fresh they are to begin with.
If its freshness you are worried about, you can simply try. To what extend the yolk is still firm and convex will tell you how good it still is.
avalon

Post by avalon »

avo wrote:

I have never experienced this. The need to feed, at night. Full moon? All kidding aside, that must be difficult to wake up hungry. I've experienced hunger during the day and at night, but never waking up so.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

avalon wrote:avo wrote:

I have never experienced this.
I do. I cant sleep if i lack energy.
avalon

Post by avalon »

Is this a tummy rumble, RRM? How do you know? Usually if i can't sleep it's because I am thinking too much about something.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I can ignore hunger pangs if I want to. Usually I eat a short time before going to bed though, so the food will definitely get me through the night.
avo

Post by avo »

Ignore hunger pangs? Sure, but that is a no-no when you are trying hard to gain some weight and maintain what little muscle I already have. Several times I have awoken very early in the morning to severe hunger pangs, those I cannot ignore.

RRM, most of my egg yolks break easily. Before I am even done seperating the white out, the side of the yolk splits and I'm left with a mess. I bought some local (Within FL, but still factory-farmed) ones, I'll see how they are.

But what should I do instead if I am not having eggs? What foods will I need to get all nutrients, macro and mirco? All I have is various fish, OJ, and tomato/avocado salad.

How long should I wait between having salad and eating fish? At least 1-2 hours, until I feel the need for energy again. I actually am doing this tonight, I'll let you know how I feel in the morning.

Thanks again.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I find there are several levels of hunger pangs. The first is a little one, just to indicate I could eat a little to replenish blood sugar. Then gradually they become stronger, but there can be hours in between. I guess my body "resigns" itself to the next step when I ignore the signs. I think making sure to eat enough fat/oil with the last snack helps. I typically eat banana/pear/oo and hour or so before going to bed.

The fresher the yolks are, the less watery they are, and the less easy they break. The white will be mostly like gelatin, easily separating from the yolk.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

avalon wrote:Is this a tummy rumble, RRM? How do you know?
Its feeling weak (low sugar), physically unstable (low sugar) and 'uneasy' (physically, im not prepared to sleep), and at the same time a bit hyper (which is probably the result of hormones such as adrenalin stimulating the conversion of stored energy into readily available energy).
Once I consume some energy, my body feels normal again, and I can sleep.