Determining Caloric Intake

How to prevent unwanted weightloss, and/or even gain muscles
Seth
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Determining Caloric Intake

Post by Seth »

What do you make of those devices, such as the NextGen, that is supposed to be able to measure the number of calories you burn on a daily basis? I took one of those test many years ago and at the time it appeared to be fairly accurate. The way I know is I would gain/lose weight if I went +/- 500 calories either side of the number.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Im not familiar with those devices, so i dont know...
Seth

Post by Seth »

Opps, I had the name wrong. It is called the BodyGen. Here is a little information on it:

http://www.healthetools.us/bodygem/
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Ah, yes, but that is only about the calories you burn when not physically active. Doing some activities messes that up big time...
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

this is from the site:

*RMR is calculated using the Weir equation. The Weir equation and a constant RQ value of 0.85 (RMR = 6.931 x VO2) is used to convert VO2 to RMR. Weir, J.B., New Methods of Calculating Metabolic Rate with Special Reference to Protein Metabolism. J Physiol. 1949; 109:1-9.

If you incerease your V02 does that increase your metabolism? It appears that way. I thought have a higher V02 would lower your metabolism because your body would have to breath less and be more efficient. This is a new idea to me.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Whats VO2?
As far as i know, RMR means Resting Metabolic Rate.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VO2_max

VO2 max is the maximum capacity to transport and utilize oxygen during incremental exercise. (The derivation is ? - volume per time, O2 - oxygen, max - maximum). It is also called maximal oxygen consumption or maximal oxygen uptake. Expressed either as an absolute rate in litres of oxygen per minute (l/min) or as a relative rate in millilitres of oxygen per kilogram of bodyweight per minute (ml/kg/min), the latter expression is often used to compare the performance of endurance sports athletes. It is also known as aerobic capacity, which reflects physical fitness of a person.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

In answer to Seth's initial question, measuring your RestingMetabolicRate does not reflect how many calories you actually burned during a given day.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

If I remember correctly, the oxygen transport capacity is (also) determined by the number of red bloods cells. The hemoglobin in the cells binds the oxygen.

Endurance sports athletes go train in higher altitudes to stimulate the body to produce more red blood cells, to increase the O2 carrying/transport capacity.