RRM: Your work out plan?

How to prevent unwanted weightloss, and/or even gain muscles
RRM
Administrator
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Re: RRM: Your work out plan?

Post by RRM »

dreamer wrote:Pullups are quite intensive, you can do 50 ;) ? Or do you use some support to make them easier?
103 to 110
I use the door post for this; so i dont get a grip with my whole hands, just the fingers.
No support :)
(sometimes a handicap; my daughter or son will start hanging on my feet, and i dont make it to 100 then...)
What is your opinion on other body-weight exercises / calisthenics ? Do you ever do push ups etc?
Yes, i do, but just for variation on bench presses.
They are maybe a little effective regarding creating muscle volume, though.

And, of course, as panacea said, the kids like being thrown in the air, more times than is needed to exhaust daddy...
Dreamer

Post by Dreamer »

Nice!

What equipment have you got for your workouts to be able to fulfill your needs at home?

Also you follow 10x10 reps these days? Can you quickly describe the weights used, speed, form and resting time between ?

And you do 1 big group and 1 small group every day? Does this mean you only do 200 reps of two different exercises per day or do you do several different ones for those 2 groups?

Just trying to get my head around how to replicate it for myself as I really like the sound of it (I previously have always tried to work out too many muscle groups too often, doing full body workouts etc, this has never been very successful for me and I desperately need something I can maintain in the long run and perhaps gain some muscle, by the way I'm quite skinny right now at only 58kg/172cm).
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

dreamer wrote: What equipment have you got for your workouts to be able to fulfill your needs at home?
Ive got just one old Kettler multi-trainer, which I only use for bench presses and biceps curls.
And a Z-bar (for triceps, bicep curls and back-part-of-shoulders) and 2 adjustable dumbbells (side raises).
Also you follow 10x10 reps these days?
A variation of that scheme; my focus is on the short resting time in between; maximally 10 seconds,
and on the burning sensation (using different weights).
So, it may be 20 reps, 18, 16, 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7 and finally 6 reps, for example.
For some exercises I just do one set, trying to reach / break the record (110 reps for pull ups, 130 reps for pushups, 140 reps for back raises with Z-bar; the latter with some additional sets)
Can you quickly describe the weights used, speed, form and resting time between ?
In a multiple-set exercise the resting time is 10 seconds max.
Only the pull ups are done at high speed, the pushups and back raises rather slow,
as all other exercises.
I always try to isolate a muscle group as much as possible.
What your aim needs to be, is the burning sensation / pain (no pain, no gain),
regardless of the weights.
And you do 1 big group and 1 small group every day?
No, nowadays I just do one exercise per day,
which seems to be at least as effective (that one exercise can be done more exhaustingly).
Just trying to get my head around how to replicate it for myself as I really like the sound of it (I previously have always tried to work out too many muscle groups too often, doing full body workouts etc, this has never been very successful for me
No, indeed.
Doing just one or 2 very specific exercises per day, you can do them much more exhaustingly.
Its really the combination of the burning sensation, sufficient rest, plus a true anabolic state that does the trick.
I desperately need something I can maintain in the long run
Everybody can maintain a one exercise per day routine forever!
and perhaps gain some muscle
Im gaining muscle weight much more easily now that im on Wai Warrior,
due to the anabolic phase during the night and sleep.
Dreamer

Post by Dreamer »

Very good, thanks :lol:

A few more if you don't mind!

How long does your usual session take?

How do you go about deciding which muscle/exercise to train on a particular day? And how many days of rest between each muscle.
How often do you train abs?

Do you now do 1 exercise because of lack of time or do you find that this is simply the best way for you to gain muscle?

I am trying to figure out if there would be benefit of doing 2-3 or 4-5 groups per day vs 1 group. What are your thoughts on this?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

dreamer wrote:How long does your usual session take?
Pull ups, pushup etc just 2 to 3 minutes.
Others may take 10 to 20 minutes.
How do you go about deciding which muscle/exercise to train on a particular day?
I do A, B, C, D, E, F and then A, B, etc again.
Bench presses and push ups are interchangeable.
And I don't do triceps after bench presses, for example, (as both exercises involve training triceps)
or biceps after pull ups.
So: A (pull ups, or pull downs on the Kettler), B (push ups or bench presses on the Kettler), C (back raises), D (side raises), E (biceps), F (triceps).
I train my legs by speed-cycling to work, and my buttocks by speed-walking at work.
You could do squats at home instead.
how many days of rest between each muscle.
Strictly speaking just one day, as the biceps are also involved in pull ups and back raises,
but many more days if you consider that the biceps are not much stressed when cooperating with the laterals (back-muscles; in pull ups) or shoulders (in back raises)
How often do you train abs?
Never.
They have always been perfect, as we use them for everything.
All you need to do, is getting rid of the fat and water retention on top of them.
If I would exercise them, they would get bigger, and I want to keep them flat.
Do you now do 1 exercise because of lack of time or do you find that this is simply the best way for you to gain muscle?
The latter. More rest means more growth. (if you exercise properly)
I am trying to figure out if there would be benefit of doing 2-3 or 4-5 groups per day vs 1 group. What are your thoughts on this?
There will be too little rest for each muscle, as the biceps and triceps are involved in multiple exercises.
Doing just one exercise per day, you have the strength (mentally) to do that exercise always very thoroughly (no pain, no gain)
You will be concentrating all your physical and mental strength on that one exercise,
making it most effective.
And such a routine you can keep doing forever.
Dreamer

Post by Dreamer »

RRM wrote:Doing just one exercise per day, you have the strength (mentally) to do that exercise always very thoroughly (no pain, no gain)
You will be concentrating all your physical and mental strength on that one exercise,
making it most effective.
And such a routine you can keep doing forever.
This is beautiful.

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer »

RRM wrote: Strictly speaking just one day, as the biceps are also involved in pull ups and back raises,
Something that caught my eye, what kind of back raises do you do that biceps are involved? (I'm assuming you are holding on to some weights?)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

dreamer wrote:what kind of back raises do you do that biceps are involved?
Im sorry, I use the wrong name for this exercise.
The exercise I do goes like this:
Im holding the Z-bar (with 20 kg in weights) behind my back, with my arms stretched.
Then I raise the bar (behind my back), without using my neck muscles (no lifting of the shoulders).
Reps: 100-50-30-20-10 till exhaustion.
dime

Post by dime »

RRM wrote:
dreamer wrote:Pullups are quite intensive, you can do 50 ;) ? Or do you use some support to make them easier?
103 to 110
103-110 in one go, or you get rest?
Most I can do in one set is 12-13, seems tiny compared to 100 :)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

dime wrote:103-110 in one go, or you get rest?
In one go.
Most I can do in one set is 12-13, seems tiny compared to 100 :)
Im guessing you do the full movement, hanging with your arms fully stretched (180 degrees) and then lifting yourself all the way up?
Im doing just one section of that movement, from 90 degrees (maybe 85) to 45 degrees. :)
dime

Post by dime »

Yes I do it fully stretched to fully up.
Why do you do it only partially? From what I know, full-range motion is recommended for exhausting the full potential of the muscles.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

dime wrote:Why do you do it only partially? From what I know, full-range motion is recommended for exhausting the full potential of the muscles.
Yes, that's true, but in my experience, then the tendons are the limiting factor, and not the muscles.
The load on tendons vs the load on muscles is greater with the full range motion as compared to the partial motion.
When I was 16 to 20, I used to do the full motion, and regularly had tendon issues because of it.
The partial motion gives you much more of a 'pump' / burn, because the load is concentrated on the muscles.
Hence the partial motion is better for creating volume.
dime

Post by dime »

I think in the case of chins/pull ups, the 90 - 0 degrees part mostly hits the biceps, and 180 - 90 is more on the back lat muscles.
I've never had tendon/joint pain because of doing the full motion.
In any case I'll try partial chins next time out of curiousity.
If you can do 100 with both hands, why not try with single hand? :)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

dime wrote:If you can do 100 with both hands, why not try with single hand? :)
Ha ha, not enough grip on the door post.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Exercising the middle shoulder muscle (deltoideus lateral) is most tricky,
as you need to avoid using your neck muscle (you dont want a bull-neck).
I made a video to clarify:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0m-kfeLSiI