So let me get this straight (protein need in workout)

How to prevent unwanted weightloss, and/or even gain muscles
Ducky
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

So let me get this straight (protein need in workout)

Post by Ducky »

1. Our body cannot store and cannot produce protein: what's not used gets transformed into other things.
2. When you work out you stress and damage your muscles and they get repared after the work out, in the night, the day after etc...

So if i understand well you dont really need to eat protein before working out
but rather after the work out when the reparing process begins.

Am i right?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Correct. :)
RRM
Administrator

Re: So let me get this straight (protein need in workout)

Post by RRM »

Correct, though in a way, you may consider muscles as 'stored protein'.
And strictly speaking, the body produces protein all the time, by linking the building blocks for protein (amino acids) into long chains of amino acids, which are proteins.
Many of these amino acids can be made inside the body (from energy), but some cannot, and can only be derived from food, and to some extend from damaged and decomposed bodyprotein (essential amino acids)

Its also true that you need most protein after having worked out, but you also better keep your blood protein level up somewhat throughout the day, to prevent degradation of bodyprotein into blood amino acids (as the body wants to have amino acids available in the blood all time, including for conversion into neurotransmitters).
But yes, you need most protein right after workout.
But then again, it also helps a lot (stimulates muscle growth) if these amino acids are already available right after workout (within the minute), so that digestion may take too long and it therefore pays of to have sufficient amino acids available in your blood even before/during workout.
Ducky

Re: So let me get this straight (protein need in workout)

Post by Ducky »

RRM wrote: But then again, it also helps a lot (stimulates muscle growth) if these amino acids are already available right after workout (within the minute)
So the reconstruction process starts right away as damage's been done.
This is what i wanted to know, thanks.