How to strenghten *posture muscles*?

How to prevent unwanted weightloss, and/or even gain muscles
fictor
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

How to strenghten *posture muscles*?

Post by fictor »

RRM, this one goes mainly too you, but I ask in the public forum instead of in a personal message, so that other peolpe also might benefit from your answer.

So, I suffer from weak back and bowel muscles, so that when I
sit or stand up, it is hard for me to keep my back straight. My back
sort of curves and my stomach kind of just hangs there. I am not fat,
in fact I am thin an quite muscular, but I sit a lot at work and seem to have neglected my posture muscles for a while.

What exercises can I use?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

The wrong posture is about an imbalance; some muscles are not strong enough, whereas other muscles are too short. The description you give can never be accurate enough, as its highly individual.
There are however professionals how can perfectly analyze your posture, and who can tell you what muscles you need to train, and what muscles you need to stretch. When you know exactly that, you can come back and ask for the exercises that would be appropriate. (maybe those professionals will supply you with exercises that we can analyze here).
Stretching, in that regard, is at least as important as working out.

Unfortunately, I forgot what that profession is called. Of course you can go to a physiotherapist, but there are more specialized ones.
Anyone?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Although it's not about strengthening muscles, the Alexander Technique is supposed to be great for posture. Like RRM said, it's about (im)balance...some muscles might be working too hard i.e being too short, others too long. The cause could be a bad postural habit. Changing that habit (or rather: unlearn the bad habit and let the body itself come to the natural habit) is usually more important to start out with.
fictor

Post by fictor »

Oscar, do you want to elaborate on the 'Alexander method', or should I just google it? ;)
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

Let me know if you come across any good info in your googling...

It seems like most of the googling I did came up with books and things that required purchase.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I think it's the easiest to just read on http://www.alexandertechnique.com/ and if you're interested find a teacher. It's not something you can easily learn from a book.
fictor

Post by fictor »

Thank you Oscar :)
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

Hey Fictor,

How are you doing on the postural muscles?
I am almost a qualified Alexander technique teacher. i have about 3 or 4 months to go.

the Alexander technique can indeed solve these imbalances in muscles tension/ length.
Have you gone for some lessons?

as it is something you need to experience finding a certified teacher is your best bet.
I can guarantee you it will solve the problem you complain of. It has helped my posture (and a stomach that stuck out) immensely.

keep us posted!
fictor

Post by fictor »

I have not gotten any prefessional help, no. I have done a little work myself (using a yoga exercise called "the plank" and doing situps and backs-streches) and my posture seems to have improved some.

If things work out in my new job, I will have a little more money than before, and then I might have some cash leftovers after buying food, so I can try visiting an Alexander technique teacher/instructor.

I will indeed keep you posted :)
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

I took some Alexander Technique lessons, but had to stop because of money. From what I've read there are some differing branches of Alexander Technique; the one I learned was kindof about controlling your body with minimal muscle-usage: almost like floating.

Now I go to a physiotherapist and as far as posture she tells me the opposite or Alexander Technique; she wants my head back and my shoulders back.

I would recommend slow stretching.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Personally the AT sounds more logical to me. Forcing your body from one posture into another might be just exchanging one wrong habit for another.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

Thanks Oscar

I'm currently taking an acting class (free elective in Uni), and the teachers has me doing some things which are very reminiscent of AT. I remembered lifting my arms without using the shoulders, the key thing is that everything comes from the spine, which is very AT. He said he's never done Alexander training but has had teachers influenced by it.
We also did spine roll downs, letting go of one vertebrae at a time, leaning forward.

I've also been walking mainly on the balls of my feet, I took another free elective, ballet, last semester and my ankle muscles are really strong, which helps with walking. Combined with the energy from the Wai diet I seem to float everywhere, in fact people at school probly think I'm a freak since I'm always somewhere between a walk and run, but barely touching the ground, and carrying a 2L jug of OJ. 8)

Do these techniques sound good? They feel great.

On the dark side of things, I spend hours ever day slouching against a pillow, on my bed, with my computer on my lap, and alternately sitting cross-legged in front of it. I've never had wrist problems doing this, like I do using a desktop or playing piano or most other activities. The only negative effect really is after doing this a while I will feel tired; although me bedroom is disgustingly filthy so it's possible this is from the air quality rather than posture.

Any thoughts on this?