Fructose conversion

How to prevent unwanted weightloss, and/or even gain muscles
slea
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Fructose conversion

Post by slea »

RRM,

Question:

Does fruit sugar get stored more readily in the liver than other sugars? And are other types of sugars, ie. honey, dextrose etc, more deliverable to the muscle?

The reason I am asking is because a friend of mine is saying fruit sugar is stored mostly in the liver and other types of sugar for example potatoes, rice and corn are sent to the muscle tissue more readily.

Thank you!
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

RRM
Administrator

Re: Fructose conversion

Post by RRM »

So...
slea wrote:Does fruit sugar get stored more readily in the liver than other sugars?
No, the sugars in fruit are (mostly) fructose as well as glucose.
But fructose needs to be (mostly) metabolized by the liver, into glycogen (spare energy stored in the liver, in this case), glycerol or fatty acids (used for spare fats, stored in adipose tissue).
And are other types of sugars, ie. honey, dextrose etc, more deliverable to the muscle?
honey is not a sugar; its a food that contains various types of sugars.
a friend of mine is saying fruit sugar is stored mostly in the liver and other types of sugar for example potatoes, rice and corn are sent to the muscle tissue more readily.
Fruit sugars are both glucose and fructose (mostly). The fructose is converted in the liver, whereas the glucose from fruits can go both ways (liver and muscles).
The body constantly uses glycogen stored in the liver to replenish lost blood sugar, which it cannot do with glycogen stored in the muscles.
The sugars from potatoes, rice etc. (mostly glucose) can be stored both ways (liver and muscles), depending on where the biggest need is.

So, both (fruits versus rice etc) go both (liver versus muscles) ways.