Swimming

How to prevent unwanted weightloss, and/or even gain muscles
overkees
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Swimming

Post by overkees »

So, I finally decided to go swimming again! I began swimming in march this year.
There is one problem though, because when I started wai, i quit swimming. Because of the comments about it being very hard in the beginning to getting the hang of it is very tough. Energy management, living on empty stomache. That kind of problems. Cravings that seem like they are hunger, but aren't. Thats why I thought, I will quit swimming and when I'm getting the hang of the diet I will pick it up again.

So here we are, I'm finally up to a point where I seem to maintain my weight. I started with 78kg, went to 73 and now I'm 75 - 76 for 3 weeks. The basic diet I'm using is 2L OJ, 80 - 100 mL OO, 5 bananas, some dried fruit and 8 - 10 yolks, avg of 50 g of fish a day. This gives all of the nutrients I need. And is exactly my energy needs. If I have been studying on school I occasionally snack with french fries and sometimes I add an Asian curry dish. But the planning is to have max 1 hot dish every 2 weeks. So I figured out I will eat some more dried fruits and add some sugar to be safe, also because it costs little.

I now swim every other day in the morning. My training schedule is: 15 - 20 minutes swimming on a moderate tempo (3 km/h) and then I do an interval training of 40 - 90 s on 80 - 90% of my maximum speed, after which I rest for 4-5 minutes and repeat this 2 - 4 times.

My problem is that I don't know how much my energy needs are. Because my metabolic rate increases with the interval for 36 - 48 hours. Plus the calories I burn during my swimming. Now I finally got my energy management straight I can't seem to figure out what seems right. I tried eating up to 20 yolks. 8 After the training and 12 in the evening. I also added 150 g of sugar in my OJ+OO. But I still get massive headaches. And incontrollable cravings for bad food. How can this be? Is it because my body needs to get used to the swimming or am I doing something terribly wrong?

I found out that eating fish seems to help. But there is one problem here also: I don't have enough money to buy more fish. My diet costs me 70 - 80 euros in the week and I can't afford to go above this, as I'm only a poor student with a tiny job...

What can I do? Adding sugar water with vinegar and oil, to get an emulsion? Eating the yolks in the evening all at once?
RRM
Administrator

Re: Swimming

Post by RRM »

Did you feel energetic during the training?
dime

Post by dime »

That's way too much sugar, and probably one reason for the headaches (too much can cause some dehydration I think). Substitute some of it with fat, and don't eat too much carbs at once. Another reason is probably that you're not yet adapted to so much physical exercise.
Maybe you can start slower on the swimming, and increase the intensity gradually? That way you can also adjust your food intake more accurately.
overkees

Post by overkees »

RRM wrote:Did you feel energetic during the training?
Yes, during training I felt energetic, I also drank the OJ+OO+sugar during training.
dime wrote: Maybe you can start slower on the swimming, and increase the intensity gradually? That way you can also adjust your food intake more accurately.
I'm not very good with moderation when excercising.. It's pretty much all or nothing.

The headaches start after 4 hours of training most of the time. Should I wait with the yolks till evening? That this combination of proteins and sugar is too heavy? I'm still wanting to build some muscle though!
dime

Post by dime »

overkees wrote: I'm not very good with moderation when excercising.. It's pretty much all or nothing.
Hehe, I'm same.
overkees wrote: The headaches start after 4 hours of training most of the time. Should I wait with the yolks till evening? That this combination of proteins and sugar is too heavy? I'm still wanting to build some muscle though!
Exactly the same has happened to me this summer, I started too hard with the gym, and a few hours after a workout I'd get really bad headache. I don't get them anymore now, but I don't exercise nearly as hard as then. I think the nervous system just needs some time to adapt to that amount of stress (and dehydration is likely some factor).
overkees

Post by overkees »

Thanks for the replies. I think dehydration is a big factor. And I'm not sure if upping my fat intake is a smart move, because every sport diet recommends that you don't take too much fat.
I did lots of long distance swimming since march and I only quit for 3 months. But now I'm going for interval training to build muscle fast. I just do 1.5 km in half an 25 minutes to also have a bit of aerobic excercise. I do this prior to the interval training.

Why do you think upping fat will be important?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

150 grams of sugar does not have to be too much, at all, because it is not consumed in one sitting, naturally.
But of course, how much sugar one can tolerate is individually different. (i can tolerate 250 grams easily)
In my opinion your fat intake is sufficient (80 ml OO plus 20 yolks).
Are you drinking energy during exercise?
On this diet it is harder to build up glycogen, so that drinking during exercise may be required.
overkees

Post by overkees »

Yeah i drink after 20 minutes of swimming.

What I do now (almost no headaches anymore): Some glasses of juice with oil in the morning. Then I go swimming for 20 minutes in a moderate tempo. After this I take a rest for 5-10 minutes in which I drink .5 liters of the OJ+OO+100g sugar mix. When it feels alright again, I start doing the interval training. I can do now 3 sprints on 90% for 60 seconds, with 1.5 minutes rest after the first. 3 Minutes after the second. Then I take a shower and take it easy. And after 15-20 minutes after the training. I drink .5 L of 6-7 yolks + OO. I also drink lots of water till 2-3 hours after the training.

On days I workout, I eat 150g of beef also (lunch). And 7-8 yolks in the evening.

This seems to be the ideal eating pattern. It was really hard to figure it out, but i seemed to be able to in 2 weeks. I would also like to add that the 6-7 yolks after the training with only OO and nothing else, is really essential.

I'm not suspectible to acne at all, never was! Thank god.

Im not able to do 4 trainings this week, because next week I've got examinations. It's eating lots of energy. Better planning for the next period. Better organisation and even more structure.
After the examinations I'm definately quitting smoking (no more party smoking, cuz I always fall back to habitual smoking) and going to try to get closer to 100%. With only 1 meal/snack in the week on social occasions. Wish me luck, I'm gonna need it. But the drive is here, and I'm gonna rock it.

I would also like to add that with these 2 weeks of swimming (I was on a steady weight for 2 months with wai) my six pack is finally beginning to show. The above 2 are vaguely showing. My body fat percentage is 12 % and you if I don't do excercising my fat distribution doesn't allow anyone to see the six pack under my layer of fat. Too bad, some people are so damn lucky to have a six pack without excercising.

I'm hoping that anyone who reads this will get more motivation. At least I will when reading it again.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

overkees wrote:Too bad, some people are so damn lucky to have a six pack without excercising.
Actually, it just depends on water retention and fat percentage, and not on exercise.
overkees

Post by overkees »

Yeah, but my fat percentage is really stable now, around 12 percent. If your theory is correct, then it's caused by water retention. And getting closer to 100% wai should do the trick?

Also above, I sated 6-7 yolks with .5 L OO. What i meant was 6-7 yolks with .5 L OJ. And no OO at all. I bet ya figured that out already. But for other ppz who are beginning to do this diet in combination with excercising, they might try do imitate it and probably will throw up. Or they'll think I'm totally crazy :D
dime

Post by dime »

So at 12% your abs are not visible? I'm also 12% fat (if the scale is correct), and mine are quite visible.
Probably it's also relevant how much muscle mass you have, if the muscles are bigger then they will be better 'visible' than smaller muscles at the same fat percentage?
overkees

Post by overkees »

I've got a very strong abs. I used to do kung fu (1 year ago) where I could do 150 reps easily. Some of my fellow trainees could only do 80 and they had visible six packs. I never trained my abs though.

Now my abs are even stronger, due to alot of posture excercises I did to correct my posture. I now stand really straight and relaxed and all the work comes from my abs. So I don't think my muscles are the problem.

Water retention though, could be the problem. I was as a child very skinny and still no signs of abs on those pictures. I'm very skinny when looking at my arms, almost no fat there. All my fat is gathered around my belly. I used to weigh 90kg's and if I compare my arms with my arms I had back then there is almost no difference. This could also be the problem, the fat distribution.

It probably is a combination of fat distribution and water retention. I did little swimming due to my examinations and ate a lot of bad foot, so the above 2 abs are gone again. Today I'm going to finish my pack of cigarettes and eat the munch food i have left (1 bag of potato chips). And I'm going for 100 % wai with no cigarettes ever again. And starting my swimming schedule tomorrow again. I'm looking forward to this big change and Im sure I will get a lot of motivation because I will get a lot of results in a short time.

Bah, stress is terrible.

I will only eat munch foods if I have a dinner in a social occasion where I can't order raw meat or a good salad.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

overkees wrote:Water retention though, could be the problem
Exactly.
When ripped, smaller muscles will be just as visible, but appear as smaller.
Besides your fat percentage, its equally important whether you retain a little too much water, or not.
Water retention will hide your muscles as much as fat does,
Go overkees!!