Weight gain and lecithin

How to prevent unwanted weightloss, and/or even gain muscles
dime
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Weight gain and lecithin

Post by dime »

Here's one idea of why it's much easier to gain weight on regular diet than on a raw diet.

Processed foods are probably easier to digest as they are well, pre-processed. Cooking denatures proteins, breaks down fibers, etc.
But furthermore, there's always some emulsifier (typically soy lecithin) added to pre-processed foods to mix in fats. The lecithin already helps a lot with digesting the fats, i.e. you can digest more pre-emulsified fats, than raw fats.

I've noticed that adding one-two egg yolks (rich in lecithin) to the orange juice, helps me digest a lot more olive oil than without the egg yolks.
Right now I'm adding arround 130-140 grams olive oil to 1L OJ, and it's noticable that I'm gaining weight and putting on some fat (I just look in the mirror, e.g. abs are not so visible anymore).
Without adding egg yolks I can barely handle 100 grams olive oil.

It's also possible that the egg yolks spread the oil better throughout the juice, so I drink it up more evenly throughout the day, whereas otherwise it floats on top and I end up drinking too much at the end of the day.
Whatever the reason, it works, so those who have problems gaining weight -- consider eating egg yolks along with fats.
fred

Re: Weight gain and lecithin

Post by fred »

I'll have to find another source of lecithin because egg yolk triggers too much digestive symptoms.
dime

Post by dime »

One egg yolk is enough, even that little causes you troubles?
fred

Post by fred »

Here is a list of high choline food (for 100g) :

Egg yolk : 682mg
kidney (beef) : 513mg
brain (beef) : 491mg
fish roe : 335mg
liver (beef) : 333mg
heart (beef) : 194mg
tongue (beef) : 155mg
muscle (beef) : 130mg
oily fish and seafood < 100mg
nuts < 70mg

Beside helping fat digestion, lecithin is involved in a myriad of body functions :
http://www.pspinformation.com/nutrition ... ance.shtml
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Lecithin contains phospholipids (including phosphatidylcholine, containing choline).
As egg consumption reportedly did not correlate with coronary disease,
it was initially thought that (egg yolk) phospholipds inhibit cholesterol absorption UniSci.
Soybean phospholipid and safflower phospholipid indeed inhibit cholesterol absorption. Iwata T et al
Soybean stanol lecithin reduces cholesterol absorption by 32 to 38%. Spilburg CA et al
But the effect of egg yolk lecithine differs from lecithine from other sources.
The increase in serum cholesterol is greater with egg yolk phospholipids compared to other phospholipids.
Soybean- and safflower phospholipds also decrease liver-cholesterol in comparison to egg yolk phospholipids.Iwata T et al

Egg yolks also work very well in babies; to make them gain weight rapidly.
Thats probably not just about the lecithin, as its also high in cholesterol and fat (incl. omega-3)
and in various vitamins and minerals.
(B1, B2, B5, biotin, folic acid, B12, E, K1, D, zinc, selenium, phosphorus, sulfur, chloride, iodide, fluoride, iron, cobalt, molybdenum and vanadium)
fred wrote:Beside helping fat digestion, lecithin...
Digestion of dietary fat starts in the stomach, where lingual lipase hydrolyzes 10 to 30% of dietary fat into free fatty acids and partial glycerides. Liao TH et al
Lingual lipase is secreted continuously, accumulating in between meals.
Protein cannot prevent the inactivation of lingual lipase, but about 60% of the initial lipase activity is preserved by lecithin. Fink CS et al
Enzymes do not hydrolyze the ester bond of lecithin and lingual lipase can remain active in the duodenum. Liao TH et al
Digestive utilization of fat in feedings containing 3% lecithin is excellent. Alférez MJ et al

Digestibility of fatty acids decreases as their chain length increases. Ulbrich M et al
As fat digestion continues as it passes through the digestive tract, the positive influence of lecithin decreases.
(as lecithin does inhibit pancreatic lipase activity Liao TH et al)
That is why algal oil is a better source of DHA and AA (10% better total dry matter digestibility) than egg yolk phospholipid. Mathews SA et al
fred

Post by fred »

What about mixing olive oil with egg yolk (mayonnaise) in order to emulsify the oil and makes it more digestible ?
If done by hand and eat it right immediately after, there should be not much damage to the protein.
fred

Post by fred »

RRM wrote: (as lecithin does inhibit pancreatic lipase activity Liao TH et al)
"In contrast to pancreatic lipase, the hydrolysis of triglycerides by lingual lipase is not inhibited by lecithin." ?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

fred wrote:
RRM wrote: (as lecithin does inhibit pancreatic lipase activity Liao TH et al)
"In contrast to pancreatic lipase, the hydrolysis of triglycerides by lingual lipase is not inhibited by lecithin." ?
So, in contrast to pancreatic lipase, which is inhibited by lecithin,
the activity of lingual lipase is not inhibited by lecithin.
The influence of lecithin on pancreatic lipase is thus in contrast with that of lecithin on lingual lipase.
fred wrote:What about mixing olive oil with egg yolk (mayonnaise) in order to emulsify the oil and makes it more digestible ?
If done by hand and eat it right immediately after, there should be not much damage to the protein.
Exactly.
So, that might work for you.