Training for long periods without food

How to prevent unwanted weightloss, and/or even gain muscles
Wintran
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Training for long periods without food

Post by Wintran »

Hi,

If I had to undergo a 4 hour of intense stamina training without the ability to take pauses to eat fruits/drink OJ, what would be the best option to minimize muscle mass loss? Should I try to overeat on sugar and fat a couple of days before, to build up a fat reservoir in my body, or should I go for a munchmeal of complex carbohydrates prior to the exercise?
Hannes
nick

Post by nick »

Check the muscle forum from the old q&a board. They discuss about carb loading and eating dried fruits to load up the glycogen stores. However, drinking orange juice would only help.

What kind of training is it? Cause thats hardcore for sure!
Wintran

Post by Wintran »

Well, not that hardcore really (I think I exaggerated a bit) :) I've been dancing a lot lately, and I might join a samba group for a parade that will last for several hours without break. It'll probably be like a long aerobic workout, which is why I'm worried that it'll start eating my muscles as I'm don't have much fat on my body. I've heard that muscles that are converted into energy are more easily restored afterwards, but I'm not sure how true that is.

I'll take a look at the old board and see if I can find anything. Thanks for the tip!
Hannes
RRM
Administrator

Re: Training for long periods without food

Post by RRM »

wintran wrote:If I had to undergo a 4 hour of intense stamina training without the ability to take pauses to eat fruits/drink OJ, what would be the best option to minimize muscle mass loss?
- Filling up glycogen depots
- indeed having at least some adipose fat at your disposal
- maximizing blood-protein levels in the 24 hours prior to that training (they can increase greatly, as opposed to blood sugar)
- maximizing blood-fat levels in the 24 hours prior to that training; which is less effective than protein
- having complex carbs in your digestive tract will also help a lot (pasta!)
Wintran

Post by Wintran »

Thanks for the clear advice, it all sounds very logical.

To maximize blood-protein and blood-fat levels, do I simply eat excessive amounts of (good) fat and protein, starting on the day before training?
Hannes
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Yes, but stop consuming lots of fat 2 hours prior to training, for it will burden your digestive system too much (distracting energy from your muscles). Also stop consuming much protein one hour prior to training.
Wintran

Post by Wintran »

Nice, I'll keep that in mind! Thanks.

I'm guessing there's nothing special required to fill up glycogen depots, other than good rest, avoiding too much physical and mental strain and sufficient (good) nutrition for a couple of days.
Hannes
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Indeed.