ketosis

How to prevent unwanted weightloss, and/or even gain muscles
haraldsmith
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

ketosis

Post by haraldsmith »

i am wondering if anyone here is doing this particular kind of eating while being in ketosis. i'm sure people will think this is nuts, but this is what im eating (while being in ketosis):
-raw salmon
-egg yolks
-1 cup of strawberries
-coconut, olive and grapeseed oil
-brazilian nuts
-tomatoes, cucumbers and avacados

any reason why this woudln't work?
haraldsmith

ratios

Post by haraldsmith »

also i should mention, my ratios are as follows, fat 70%, prot 25%, carb 5%
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Hello, welcome on the forum. :)

Not me. I'm on about 49% carbs, 46% fats, 5% protein.
The Wai Diet is high-carb/high-fat/low-protein, so we're never in ketosis.
avo

Post by avo »

How much of each do you eat a day? I'm just curious of adequete calories and all vitamins/minerals.

But, if you're going to continue this, I suggest a more nutrient-dense fruit, as opposed to strawberries, but it's your choice. Actually, I haven't checked strawberry nutrients, they may be good.

The only problem might be night enough direct glucose, but that may not be an issue when in ketosis. I guess I'm not exactly an expert on high-protien diets.

Oh, that reminds me; I believe 'burning' protein for fuel for the body is dirty, and puts a lot of stress on certain organs that have to deal with the resulting 'ashes.'
haraldsmith

Post by haraldsmith »

when you are in ketosis, you are burning your fat, hence the 70% fat of the diet, and only 25% protein (this is around 100gs or less).. between strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, what is your best choise, or is there another low gi fruit that would be better?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Harald, can you please explain the purpose of this?
haraldsmith

Post by haraldsmith »

i'm sorry.. i'm just trying to incorporate raw foods into my current regime..im testing it out..
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I understand, but why would you prefer low GI foods over high GI foods?
haraldsmith

Post by haraldsmith »

well, i'm trying not to spike out of ketosis, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries do not spike me out
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Its never the foods that 'spike you out', but the number of calories consumed in one meal. Not just from sugars, but even more so from protein (so have studies shown us), and also from fat.
So, you can perfectly consume high GI foods, as long as the total ingested amount is just right to replenish lost blood-energy.
As much so, you can readily 'spike you out of ketosis' by consuming a meal containing only low GI foods, simply because its a bit too big or because it contains lots of protein.
haraldsmith

Post by haraldsmith »

so are you saying i can have high GI fruit, in small amounts, and i would not have a spike? what kind of amount, like a cup?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Yes, but I cant tell you how much, as it depends on how high your blood-energy level is at that moment. What you want, is to keep your total blood-energy level relatively low (including protein, fat and glucose).
The problem is that even when your blood sugar level is relatively low, this may be overruled by a relatively high blood-protein level, 'spiking you out of ketosis'. Then the intake of very low GI, but high protein food would be worse than high GI food of the same amount of calories.

The problem of keep your blood energy levels relatively low is that this comes with a high turnover of muscle protein into energy (both fats and sugars) as well.

Why do you want this ketosis mode?
haraldsmith

Post by haraldsmith »

well, would i have a high blood protein level, if i am taking in less then 100g's a day? the reason that i want to be in ketosis is that is uses your fat for energy, that is why the fat intake is >70%. it is working so far, it seems an optimal way to shed your bodyfat, and spare muscle mass, but i may be wrong. the reason i say this is that i have remained the same bodyweight but the calipar measurements are dropping.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

haraldsmith wrote:well, would i have a high blood protein level, if i am taking in less then 100g's a day?
Maybe, maybe not, depending on your need for protein.
It certainly cannot be low. 100 gram is not little at all.
the reason that i want to be in ketosis is that is uses your fat for energy, that is why the fat intake is >70%.
So, you take in extra fat so that this extra fat is burned?
This will not result in the loss of bodyfat unless the total intake of energy (fat plus protein and sugars) is less than required, but that coincides with the loss of muscle mass.
If you try to stimulate the loss of bodyfat by keeping your blood sugar level relatively low, this will also result in the loss of muscle protein (conversion into glucose). And, to stimulate ketosis, also your blood protein level has to be relatively low, which again also results in the loss of muscle mass.
More importantly than the energy ratios of meals, the storage of NEW bodyfat is stimulated by consuming big meals (followed by subsequent losses in between meals)

it is working so far, it seems an optimal way to shed your bodyfat, and spare muscle mass, but i may be wrong.
With every attempt to shed bodyfat with a certain method, you will always also not spare muscle mass.
Its far more effective (less loss of muscle mass) to prevent storage of new fat instead. It takes longer, but keeps muscle mass intact.
the reason i say this is that i have remained the same bodyweight but the calipar measurements are dropping.
What was your total weight and fat percentage before you started, and now?
Then measure the same when you are done with this 'ketosis mode' and you will see what I mean.
haraldsmith

Post by haraldsmith »

RRM wrote:
haraldsmith wrote:well, would i have a high blood protein level, if i am taking in less then 100g's a day?
Maybe, maybe not, depending on your need for protein.
It certainly cannot be low. 100 gram is not little at all.
the reason that i want to be in ketosis is that is uses your fat for energy, that is why the fat intake is >70%.
So, you take in extra fat so that this extra fat is burned?
This will not result in the loss of bodyfat unless the total intake of energy (fat plus protein and sugars) is less than required, but that coincides with the loss of muscle mass.
If you try to stimulate the loss of bodyfat by keeping your blood sugar level relatively low, this will also result in the loss of muscle protein (conversion into glucose). And, to stimulate ketosis, also your blood protein level has to be relatively low, which again also results in the loss of muscle mass.
More importantly than the energy ratios of meals, the storage of NEW bodyfat is stimulated by consuming big meals (followed by subsequent losses in between meals)

it is working so far, it seems an optimal way to shed your bodyfat, and spare muscle mass, but i may be wrong.
With every attempt to shed bodyfat with a certain method, you will always also not spare muscle mass.
Its far more effective (less loss of muscle mass) to prevent storage of new fat instead. It takes longer, but keeps muscle mass intact.
the reason i say this is that i have remained the same bodyweight but the calipar measurements are dropping.
What was your total weight and fat percentage before you started, and now?
Then measure the same when you are done with this 'ketosis mode' and you will see what I mean.
yes, my intake is less then required. i keep the total calories couple of hundred calories below maintenence.

I started at 200lbs/22% bf, after around a month of a half i am at 190lbs/15%, the drop in weight is mainly water weight.