hypo: no access to food for 8 hrs; preparation?

How to prevent unwanted weightloss, and/or even gain muscles
haraldsmith
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

hypo: no access to food for 8 hrs; preparation?

Post by haraldsmith »

if you had no access to food for approx 8 hours, and during that time you wont be that phyiscally inactive, what is the best way to prepare for this and to prevent alot of muscle loss?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I guess fill up glycogen depots, maximize blood sugar level, stock up some body fat.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

Oscar wrote:I guess fill up glycogen depots, maximize blood sugar level, stock up some body fat.

between your liver and muscles, can't you hold enough calories for eight hours?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Sure, for glucose, but what about fat energy?
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

body fat
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

So what's your question?
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

me? I thought you where asking where energy would come from for fat needs and replied to that by saying body fat. I'm not sure if we're on the same page.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Let me recap for you:
Oscar wrote:I guess fill up glycogen depots, maximize blood sugar level, stock up some body fat.
johndela1 wrote:between your liver and muscles, can't you hold enough calories for eight hours?
Oscar wrote:Sure, for glucose, but what about fat energy?
johndela1 wrote:body fat
Oscar wrote:So what's your question?
See what I mean? :)
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

I was answer your question "what about fat energy" with the answer of "body fat" as in body fat is the source of the fat needs
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Okay, let me recap a bit differently.
You questioned my statement: Fill up glycogen depots, max blood sugar, stock up body fat. Essentially: blood, liver, muscles, bodyfat.

You ask: wouldn't liver and muscles be enough?
I assume you mean by this: only glycogen, no fat (or blood sugar).
So I ask: what about fat?
You answer: bodyfat
Now, I already mentioned bodyfat in my first statement, which you then questioned. So now I'm confused as to what your actual question is/was.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

hum, I'm thinking I can't be any more clear. You are probably thinking the same. It is not all that important so if you don't feel like responding I'll understand.

I was saying if you are without food for 8 hours you should have enough energy in your body to be fine. Liver and muscle glucose to fuel your brain and muscles. then I understood that you asked 'what about fat energy'. I think you are asking where will you get energy in the form of fat if that is what you need. I think you will get that from you're stored body fat.

Is this what you understood?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Yeah, my understanding is that we agree, that's why I didn't understand your first question.

Anyway, to use liver and muscle glycogen for glucose, the depots will have to be filled, at least for those 8 hours. If the depots are full, they'll hold enough for 8-12 hours. But muscle glycogen only converts into muscle glucose, so the important depot in this case is the liver depot. If the depots are empty, you're not going to last 8 hours without the body needing to 'improvise' for glucose energy.

There also has to be body fat available for the body to be able to use it. This probably won't be too much of a problem, but why not prepare if you can.

So to be sure that those two requirements are met, you best fill up the glycogen depots, max blood sugar, and stock up some body fat.

I hope this makes things clear. :)
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

How long will your liver hold your non-muscle glucose needs for? Or maybe I should ask how much glucose does one use for non muscle activity? That would be your brain needs right?

glycogen in the liver can be used for muscle and non muscle needs right?

Stock up on body fat because you will go 8 hours without food? Doesn't that seem a bit extreme? I'd understand if it was 8 days, but 8 hours? How much body fat would you need (considering the glucose in the muscles and liver)?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

johndela1 wrote:How long will your liver hold your non-muscle glucose needs for? Or maybe I should ask how much glucose does one use for non muscle activity? That would be your brain needs right?
Most organs use both glucose and fat energy, no not just the brain. I'm not sure how much we use for non-muscle energy. But in rest skeletal muscles account for 50% of total energy usage.
johndela1 wrote:glycogen in the liver can be used for muscle and non muscle needs right?
As far as I know, yes.
johndela1 wrote:Stock up on body fat because you will go 8 hours without food? Doesn't that seem a bit extreme? I'd understand if it was 8 days, but 8 hours? How much body fat would you need (considering the glucose in the muscles and liver)?
Well, like I said, it's probably not much of a problem, since we all have some bodyfat as a reserve. But ideally speaking we'd need 40-45% of the caloric value of the total energy, compared to glucose energy. So assuming 400kcal from the liver it would be about 270kcal.