info about intake of protein; 1 g/kg/day?

How to prevent unwanted weightloss, and/or even gain muscles
thea
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

info about intake of protein; 1 g/kg/day?

Post by thea »

Dietary protein needs for physically active individuals or sarcopenia have been controversial for many years. I've just reading the e-book of Wai.
I try to find study to prove that you don't need so much protein to keep your muscle mass. Quality versus quantity, but I find nothing...

May be Wai have some reference-thank you for that

SARCOPENIA

The only study showed that intake of highly digestible leucine-rich proteins, change in daily protein pattern, or specific amino-acid supplementation may be beneficial to improve muscle anabolic response in elderly people
Work from the Galveston lab has also shown recently that elderly subjects appear to exhibit what might be called 'nutrient resistance' of protein synthesis, in as much as they show a diminished response to exogenous amino acids plus carbohydrate, compared to young subjects (Volpi et al. 2000). Adequate protein nutrition could be used to limit gradual body protein loss and improve protein anabolism in the elderly.
Protein pulse feeding improves protein retention in elderly women (American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 69, No. 6, 1202-1208, June 1999)

ATHLETE

• Generally, athletes have felt their needs are substantially greater than the recommendation from scientists - both opinions could be correct as the latter is based on data from essentially sedentary subjects.

• Recent scientific study suggests a variety of factors need to be considered when determining protein requirements, including but probably not limited to total energy intake, carbohydrate availability, exercise intensity, exercise duration, exercise type, dietary protein quality, training history, gender, age and timing of nutrient intake.

• These studies indicate that for physically active individuals daily protein intake needs could be as high as 1.6–1.8 g/kg (about twice the current recommendation).

• Despite these increased protein needs, assuming energy intake is sufficient to match the additional expenditures of training and competition (which can be excessive), special protein supplementation is unnecessary for most who consume a varied diet containing complete protein foods (meat, fish, eggs and dairy products).

• Those at greatest risk of consuming insufficient protein are those whose lifestyle combines other factors known to increase protein needs with a regular exercise program, e.g., those with insufficient energy intake (dieters), growing individuals, vegetarians, the elderly, those with muscle diseases and so on.
RRM
Administrator

Re: need more information about intake of protein

Post by RRM »

thea wrote:I try to find study to prove that you don't need so much protein to keep your muscle mass.
That depends on how great you want that muscle mass to be.
If its way above your set-point level, you need every stimulus that you can get (and protein is one of them)
Quality versus quantity, but I find nothing...
Quality reduces the need for quantity. Not one versus the other, but a balance.

• Generally, athletes have felt their needs are substantially greater than the recommendation from scientists
Of course, as the 'needs' already differ by your objectives.
Maintaining health vs maintaining muscle mass greater than set-point weight.
• Recent scientific study suggests a variety of factors need to be considered when determining protein requirements, including but probably not limited to total energy intake, carbohydrate availability, exercise intensity, exercise duration, exercise type, dietary protein quality, training history, gender, age and timing of nutrient intake.
Absolutely. Include meal frequency.
• These studies indicate that for physically active individuals daily protein intake needs could be as high as 1.6–1.8 g/kg (about twice the current recommendation).
Based on what protein quality? meal frequency? energy intake? etc etc
thea

Post by thea »

Thank for your answer- In fact a this time I reduce my protein intake to 80 g a day with fish, egg and some little read meat (cooked at lower temperature). Before I take 140 g a day. OK, I'm afraid to have less...

This a answer of a great physician in US for athletes about protein intake

Your protein intake of 1 gm per kilo of body weight is exactly what I recommend and I don't that that is excessive. I've worked with athletes whose intake was 1 gram or more per pound of body weight and they all developed glomerulosclerosis in later life from the added ammonia load plus the dehydration of athletics.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

The 1 g/kg/day reflects the poor average protein quality. Consuming a handful of Brazil nuts daily already ups that somewhat.
You can further increase the protein quality of that what you have consumed by taking up to maximally 1 gram liquid free methionine, as that is the amino acid lacking in a great part of the consumed protein (making that part useless for construction purposes).

Maybe even more importantly, the need for protein strongly decreases when the blood is constantly resupplied with small amounts of glucose, as this prevents the breakdown of amino acids into glucose. the way to do so: consuming only small meals very frequently.