Played basketball... now very tired...

How to prevent unwanted weightloss, and/or even gain muscles
falcon
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Played basketball... now very tired...

Post by falcon »

I played basketball and I got so tired very quickly. I had 6 TSP of olive oil and 3 glasses of orange juice BEFORE I went. I also had 2 kiwwis. (I also put 3 tsp of sugar in my OJ). What could be the reason I got so tired?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

You hadnt filled up your glycogen depots prior to the match.
Once playing, you will use this 1600 kcal for the rest of the match.
without them, you will get tired very soon.
falcon

Post by falcon »

So I should get at least 1600 calories before playing?
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

how long did you play for?

Using 1600 calories would take some time.
falcon

Post by falcon »

I only played for 45 min. I felt tired after about 10... I don't understand why, 5 tsp of oil and a few glasses of OJ should have been enough energy for at least an hour... right?
avo

Post by avo »

OJ, even with lots of oil, will still mess up your blood sugar levels if you have that much at once. That is why OJ is supposed to be sipped throughout the day, not chugged all at once.

You had a sugar high, and then a big crash after a few minutes. Next time eat something instead, like a couple bananas with oil, that will hold you over for at least 60 minutes, possibly 90 (if the bananas are big :D).
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

falcon wrote:I only played for 45 min. I felt tired after about 10... I don't understand why, 5 tsp of oil and a few glasses of OJ should have been enough energy for at least an hour... right?
No, its not the total energy intake that counts, as the fats cannot be used as direct energy for the muscles.
A few glasses of OJ hold too little carbs to last for 45 minutes of high level physical activity. Also, you cannot take in enough energy right before the match (indeed; sugar spike and -low).
What you need, are filled glycogen depots, so that you can take all the required energy from those depots. (liver + muscles = about 1600 kcal = more than enough)
avo wrote:Next time eat something instead, like a couple bananas with oil, that will hold you over for at least 60 minutes, possibly 90 (if the bananas are big :D).
That doesnt work either because your body needs to digest them first, while it needs that energy for physical activity.
The only way to solve this, is by filling up your glycogen depots first so that they supply you with all the energy you need as fast as you need it.