Wheat - addictive properties

Other than specified below
spring
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Wheat - addictive properties

Post by spring »

I read somewhere - on panix (paleo eating) - that wheat has opioids as some sort of survival advantage.

Is this true and how would it work?

- that people get addicted to it and will farm it? a bit farfetched?
- people who eat will die more quickly so the plant kills its consumers? - but why would that confer survival advantage - the process of developing takes a long time and in the meantime. what stocks could be exhausted

or is it just a coincidence that humans started eating wheat which wasn't supposed to be human's natural food?

Why then would wheat have opioids? what is the survival advantage in that?
benzapp

Re: Wheat - addictive properties

Post by benzapp »

spring wrote:I read somewhere - on panix (paleo eating) - that wheat has opioids as some sort of survival advantage.

Is this true and how would it work?

- that people get addicted to it and will farm it? a bit farfetched?
- people who eat will die more quickly so the plant kills its consumers? - but why would that confer survival advantage - the process of developing takes a long time and in the meantime. what stocks could be exhausted

or is it just a coincidence that humans started eating wheat which wasn't supposed to be human's natural food?

Why then would wheat have opioids? what is the survival advantage in that?
The accepted reason is that opioids are found in plants as a sort of insecticide. Opioid receptors are the most primitive receptors in animals - it is the only kind insects have. It is also for this reason opioids control the most basic functions in a mammal, like respiration. They are fairly mild for us, but for a tiny insect they work great.

Your theory may be correct in that wheat has spread throughout the world because of this particular drug, but I believe the evidence indicates the plant evolved long before the advent of agriculture.
Last edited by benzapp on Fri 05 Jan 2007 02:46, edited 1 time in total.
spring

Post by spring »

That would explain it. It wasn't my theory BTW - something that I read and didn't quite understand.