Mashed potatoes high in nitrate/nitrite?

Other than specified below
AnnGrazjun
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Mashed potatoes high in nitrate/nitrite?

Post by AnnGrazjun »

I'm going to be visiting my grandmothers this coming week, and she knows I'm on this crazy diet she doesn't understand. But to help me out, she plans on cooking a big feast for vegetarians (for me) and other things for meat-eaters, separately. Bless her soul, but I don't want to eat too much cause of the 'dirtiness' of the cooked foods. BUT I will have to eat her mashed potatoes though, cause she's pretty big on that. She says she'll only use 2 ingredients: Potatoes, and lots of organic butter. One thing though, I'm worried about gorging on that because I heard it has a high content of nitrate/nitrite? What do you guys think?? :?
RRM
Administrator

Re: Mashed potatoes high in nitrate/nitrite?

Post by RRM »

Compared to other vegetables, on the average, potatoes dont contain much nitrate at all; at least 18 veggies contain more nitrate, on average.
However, some potatoes are high in mitrate and nitrite.
Luckily, you can buy potatoes that will not be high in nitrate/nitrite by buying organic potatoes, as the nitrate comes from over-fertilization.
So, you might want to tell her that you 'gladly' eat her mashed potatoes if she buys organic...
avo

Post by avo »

I think as long as you follow RRM's advice, and remember to put plenty of butter/oil on the potatos, you will be ok.

Let us know how things work out!
AnnGrazjun

Post by AnnGrazjun »

Thanks. Whether it's organic or not, do you know if red potatoes are better than brown? Healthwise, nitrate/nitrite more or less, etc. Your replies are very much welcomed, thanks again.
Everything we touch turns to gold...then to sh_t
avo

Post by avo »

I think Yukon Gold or sweet potatos would be best, but I think we're just spliting hairs... potato munch food is potato munch food.
dionysus

Post by dionysus »

Non-salted butter best 8)
Negativity is the cult of the weak
avo

Post by avo »

AKA sweet butter.

You could always bring a tomato/cucumber vinegar salad, maybe enough to share.
AnnGrazjun

Post by AnnGrazjun »

Thanks everyone I really appreciate your comments. I got back on Sunday night with plenty of good memories and, a few converts! :lol: Long story short, a few people at the 'get-together' became interested in my diet, and after hearing great things about it they decided to give it a shot! Yippeee :D But an interesting chat came about... as far as eating raw yolks, what with all the bird flu pandemic, should we be worrying about it? And I saw a story once where they uncovered the egg companies claiming to be organic/free range were actually NOT. Since the government doesn't regulate the claims on egg cartons, they can pretty much get away with saying anything they want. So any of us could be victims of this atrocious act... :evil:
Everything we touch turns to gold...then to sh_t
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

We've discussed the bird flu in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=97
I don't think anything changed since then, so it's still relevant.

Regarding your other concern, I think you're correct. I'm not sure which countries have which carton regulations, but if you want to be really sure, go visit the farm. I personally haven't done that (I might at some point), but I get them from a healthfood store where the people are very conscious about such things. The eggs I buy aren't in cartons either.