Cinnamon

Other than specified below
ketodog
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Cinnamon

Post by ketodog »

I apologize if this was already asked before, but does ground cinnamon contain apettite enhancers?

Thanks a lot! :D
avo

Post by avo »

Not the official answer, but I would think so because everything tastes better with cinnamon! It definitely triggers something...
ketodog

Post by ketodog »

Personally I don´t eat more fruit just because it has cinnamon on it. The same with sugar.

I think cinnamon isn´t cooked; it´s just the raw cinnamon broken down into small particles.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I dont know. I guess we first need to know how exactly cinnamon is obtained (processed).
I do know it naturally contains bioactive ingredients.
ketodog

Post by ketodog »

Here ´s the raw cinnamon bark I refered to, that I have seen in supermarckets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamon

I don´t know if it can alter appetite in some way. Personal experimentation I guess; eating the same amount and type of fruit with and without cinnamon and then finding out if you eat more when cinnamon is present.

Regarding acne, in theory it doesn´t contain dirty protein, but personal experimentation may resolve the issue here too.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Maybe its the cinnamon (Cinnamonum zeylanicum) odour; its perceived pleasantness seems to be 'genetic' (1)
Some of cinnamons constituents are well known for its strong antibacterial (2), anti fungi (3) and even anti larvae properties (4), which requires some toxic properties. Logically, it also is somewhat toxic to intestinal cells (5) and is known to irritate the mucosa (6).
Cinnamon extracts affect insulin receptors and glucose transporters (7). Its active ingredient (cinnamaldehyde) lowers blood glucose and lipids levels (8) and adversely affects the secretion of the antidiabetic hormone adiponectin (9).
The cinnamon (and clove- and marjoram-) ingredient Eugenol (1-allyl-3-methoxy-4-hydroxybenzene) is genotoxic (10)
Cinnamon has negative effects on embryo development in mice (11).
Cinnamon is also known to adversely affect orofacial granulomatosis (12) (swollen lips, small inflammations) and may even cause 'bloody tears' (13)
Of course, its properties can also be useful in a medicin, requiring adequate diagnosis and targeting, but it shouldnt be seen as a natural food, in my view.

(1) Knaapila A, et al, Genetic component of identification, intensity and pleasantness of odours: a Finnish family study. Eur J Hum Genet. 2007 Mar 7.
(2) Fabio A, Cermelli C, Fabio G, Nicoletti P, Quaglio P. Screening of the antibacterial effects of a variety of essential oils on microorganisms responsible for respiratory infections. Phytother Res. 2007 Feb 26.
(3) Inouye S, Uchida K, Nishiyama Y, Hasumi Y, Yamaguchi H, Abe S. Combined effect of heat, essential oils and salt on the fungicidal activity against Trichophyton mentagrophytes in foot bath. Nippon Ishinkin Gakkai Zasshi. 2007;48(1):27-36.
(4) Fuselli SR, Garcia De La Rosa SB, Gende LB, Eguaras MJ, Fritz R. [Inhibition of Paenibacillus larvae employing a mixture of essential oils and thymol][Article in Spanish] Rev Argent Microbiol. 2006 Apr-Jun;38(2):89-92.
(5) Dusan F, Marian S, Katarina D, Dobroslava B. Essential oils--their antimicrobial activity against Escherichia coli and effect on intestinal cell viability. Toxicol In Vitro. 2006 Dec;20(8):1435-45. Epub 2006 Jul 14.
(6) Endo H, Rees TD. Clinical features of cinnamon-induced contact stomatitis. Compend Contin Educ Dent. 2006 Jul;27(7):403-9; quiz 410, 421.
(7) Cao H, Polansky MM, Anderson RA. Cinnamon extract and polyphenols affect the expression of tristetraprolin, insulin receptor, and glucose transporter 4 in mouse 3T3-L1 adipocytes. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2007 Mar 15;459(2):214-22. Epub 2007 Jan 25.
(8) Subash Babu P, Prabuseenivasan S, Ignacimuthu S. Cinnamaldehyde--a potential antidiabetic agent. Phytomedicine. 2007 Jan;14(1):15-22. Epub 2006 Nov 30.
(9) Roffey B, Atwal A, Kubow S. Cinnamon water extracts increase glucose uptake but inhibit adiponectin secretion in 3T3-L1 adipose cells. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2006 Aug;50(8):739-45.
(10) Maralhas A, Monteiro A, Martins C, Kranendonk M, Laires A, Rueff J, Rodrigues AS. Genotoxicity and endoreduplication inducing activity of the food flavouring eugenol. Mutagenesis. 2006 May;21(3):199-204. Epub 2006 Apr 4.
(11) Domaracky M, Rehak P, Juhas S, Koppel J. Effects of selected plant essential oils on the growth and development of mouse preimplantation embryos in vivo. Physiol Res. 2006 Feb 23; [Epub ahead of print]
(12) White A, Nunes C, Escudier M, Lomer MC, Barnard K, Shirlaw P, Challacombe SJ, Sanderson JD. Improvement in orofacial granulomatosis on a cinnamon- and benzoate-free diet. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2006 Jun;12(6):508-14.
(13) Awan S, Kazmi HS, Awan AA. An unusual case of bloody tears. J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad. 2006 Jan-Mar;18(1):68-9.
Last edited by RRM on Wed 21 Mar 2007 16:37, edited 2 times in total.
ketodog

Post by ketodog »

Of course, its properties can also be useful in a medicin, requiring adequate diagnosis and targeting, but it shouldnt be seen as a natural food, in my view.
Maybe as a munch-food item, according to Wai´s theory?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

ketodog wrote:Maybe as a munch-food item, according to Wai´s theory?
In Wai's theory, a good munch food needs to be very satisfying and energy-dense. Cinnamon seems to be a flavouring, which is the opposite.
avo

Post by avo »

Excellent info, RRM. However, it appears that not all the links work.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Ehrr, Ive tried them all, again, and they all work!
Which one doesnt work for you?
avo

Post by avo »

Hmm, they work fine now. 1,2 and 3 didn't work before. Thanks...
ketodog

Post by ketodog »

RRM wrote:
In Wai's theory, a good munch food needs to be very satisfying and energy-dense. Cinnamon seems to be a flavouring, which is the opposite.
Well, I guess that a munch-food being ¨very satisfying¨ is true for some, helping them to follow Wai´s diet, while is catastrophic for many others - me included.

Personally, I prefer not to have munch-foods at all than to have little of them. If I am satisfied with natural foods (nuts, avocadoes, etc.) I don´t have cravings for junk-food.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

ketodog wrote:Personally, I prefer not to have munch-foods at all than to have little of them. If I am satisfied with natural foods (nuts, avocadoes, etc.) I don´t have cravings for junk-food.
Excellent!
Thats is actually the easiest way if you are strong enough to sit it through the first few months.
Congrats.