All organic always?

Other than specified below
Terence
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

All organic always?

Post by Terence »

Some months ago Greenpeace published a study about toxins in non-organic fruits and vegetables available in the biggest supermarkets in Germany. The result was alarming:

http://de.einkaufsnetz.org/gift/lebensmittel/10931.html
(german language)

Many fruits contain even much more pesticides and other toxins than allowed by official regulations. Experts claim that these fruits are harmful to our health even when eaten in relatively small amounts and that some of these toxins accumulate in human bodies.

RRM, Oscar and all other long-term Wai-dieter: Are you buying always organic fruits? What is your opinion about toxins in non-organic food?

Unfortunately many fruits that I like very much, like melons, are not available in organic grocery stores (here). I wonder if I should abandon these fruits.

Terence
dionysus

Post by dionysus »

I don't buy organic. :)
Negativity is the cult of the weak
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

In the article it handles mostly about (lettuce,) grapes, tomatoes, and peaches. All those fruits have thin peels. We recommend to buy at least those fruits organic, where fruits with a thicker peel are less of a problem.

So that's what I do. Unfortunately I cannot afford to buy all my fruit organic, but I would if I could.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I do eat non-organic tomatoes and grapes, but I always remove the skin (a lot of work regarding grapes...)
Terence

Post by Terence »

RRM wrote:I do eat non-organic tomatoes and grapes, but I always remove the skin (a lot of work regarding grapes...)
Thanks for your replies!

RRM, you remove the skin from grapes? WOW! I have never thought of this idea yet. This sounds like a LOT of work. Hmm I will try it, grapes are the fruit I like most..

Terence
avo

Post by avo »

It's funny. After being on Wai for some time, I can not stand fruit peels anymore. That includes tomato, cucumber, apples, pears, even grapes. The peel always seems to be left behind in the mouth, and they are not very tasty. So it kindof makes sense that we should peel things, as 1) they are subject to pesticides and chemicals, 2) they don't digest well, if at all (compared to the fruit itself), and 3) they are not very tasty. :)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

exactly
dionysus

Post by dionysus »

Should of added, i too peel everything. :)
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Yep, me too. I eat cherry tomatoes, so peeling them is a daily chore. ;)
dionysus

Post by dionysus »

Oscar wrote:Yep, me too. I eat cherry tomatoes, so peeling them is a daily chore. ;)
:shock:
avalon

Post by avalon »

RRM wrote:
I do eat non-organic tomatoes and grapes, but I always remove the skin (a lot of work regarding grapes...)
Oscar wrote:
Yep, me too. I eat cherry tomatoes, so peeling them is a daily chore. :wink:
Can anyone spell OCD? Not serious, just kidding :shock:

Happy Easter everyone!

But my question would be, with skins so thin on grapes and cherry tomatoes, would it make much of a difference? Not like a thick skinned fruit where the pesties can get in there and do their stuff... and wouldn't you be throwing away many of the benefits found in purple and red cherry/grapes??
Terence

Post by Terence »

avo wrote:It's funny. After being on Wai for some time, I can not stand fruit peels anymore. That includes tomato, cucumber, apples, pears, even grapes. The peel always seems to be left behind in the mouth, and they are not very tasty. So it kindof makes sense that we should peel things, as 1) they are subject to pesticides and chemicals, 2) they don't digest well, if at all (compared to the fruit itself), and 3) they are not very tasty. :)
I agree with you regarding peels and pesticides. Apart from that I (still) like the peels of apples, grapes and other fruits very much. They enrich the flavour of the fruits a lot, IMO, and seem to improve my digestion, especially peels from apples.
Very interesting...

Terence
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

avalon wrote:Can anyone spell OCD? Not serious, just kidding :shock:
Hehe :)
avalon wrote:But my question would be, with skins so thin on grapes and cherry tomatoes, would it make much of a difference?
In organic fruit it's just for taste/fiber.
avalon wrote:... and wouldn't you be throwing away many of the benefits found in purple and red cherry/grapes??
If you need 100 (arbitrary number representing the daily need for micronutrients) and get 150, would lowering it to 149 be a problem?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Terence wrote:I (still) like the peels of apples, grapes and other fruits very much. They enrich the flavour of the fruits a lot, IMO, and seem to improve my digestion
Peels dont improve digestion. As they contain fiber and antinutrients that are not desired, they stimulate bowel movement (to get rid of these). That is not at all an improvement.
avalon wrote:... and wouldn't you be throwing away many of the benefits found in purple and red cherry/grapes??
Of course you dont eat less food when you dont eat the peels; you compensate by eating more of the flesh to satisfy your energy needs...
As a matter of fact, what is often considered as beneficial ingredients in the peel, are antinutrients that are in the peel to form some kind of barrier. In that respect it is also beneficial to not eat the peel.
sula58

Post by sula58 »

Is it just me, or can anyone else "taste" the difference between organic and unorganic fruits (with thin peels)?

I've experimented with this off and on (especially because I'd like to save money), and there has always been a clear taste difference. Organic tomatoes and apples taste so much more "alive" and sweet.

This taste difference is important to me, because sometimes a company marks something "organic," but I trust my tasting of it to verify whether it is or not. (or, in the very least, whether it's good quality. by the way, it makes me so mad that they can get away with lying about it...URGH!!). I feel like I can also "taste" whether a dried fruit has been sun-dried or not.

I swear---it's not just in my head! (If I weren't on the 100% diet, I'd make one terrifying food critic! Chefs would fear me the world over!)