Soaking & sprouting to eliminate anti-nutrients

Other than specified below
nini
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by nini »

Does soaking and sprouting not remove most of the antinutrients?
avalon

Post by avalon »

Anyone have any ideas on this?:
ANTI-NUTRIENTS IN SPROUTED LEGUMES
As far as the sprouts of other legumes go, the only other toxins for which any concern has been raised is for a class know as anti-nutrients. These are substances that bind enzymes or nutrients and inhibit the absorption of the nutrients. The commonly alleged anti-nutrients are protease inhibitors, amylase inhibitors, phytic acid, and polyphenolic compounds such as tannins. With proper soaking and germination, none of these are anything to worry about. Around the world, studies have been and are being conducted on the use of germinated seeds as a low-cost, highly nutritive source of human food. It is well established that when legumes are properly soaked and germinated, their nutritive value increases greatly, usually to levels equal to or exceeding those of the cooked bean.
From: http://www.living-foods.com/articles/sproutmyths.html
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

There are plenty of antinutrients left in those sprouts, because when you eat them, resentment comes fast, before your need for energy has been fulfilled.

Reading the article, I see they simply dont want to acknowledge the adverse properties of the antinutrients that are in those sprouts!

They even compare saponins to vitamin C, because elevated vitamin C has pro-oxidative properties as well. Doing that they 'simply forget to tell us' that vitamin C is essential, whereas saponins are not.
Of course too much vitamin c is bad, and that is why the body drastically decreases the uptake rate when required. Of course, this is no excuse for the toxic properties of saponins.

They also tell you that "the amount encountered in food is so miniscule that it is completely insignificant".
Tell that to my intestines...
What is toxic on cellular level, is considered not toxic for us, but it does harm on cellular level. The cause of cancer can be exactly about that.
So don’t stop eating alfalfa sprouts any more than you would any other food because of some minute toxin that might be present. They are a good source of vitamin C, folic acid, and othe protective compounds
Minute toxins cause damage on cellular level.
Vitamin C is abundantly present in fruits, as are all the other nutrients that are in sprouts.
Those "other protective compounds" have adverse properties as well.
Health is about prevention (as little anti nutrients and toxins), not counteraction (with natural or unnatural compounds with pharmaceutical properties)

Sure the sprouts are more nutrient dense than their origins, but health is not about more nutrients (than we need). Its about minimizing the intake of compounds with adverse effects.
Soaking alone causes a significant decrease in anti-nutrients, as the anti-nutrients are leached into the soak water.
I hope so, because the original foods metnioned are extremely high in antinutrients.
as germination proceeds, anti-nutrients are degraded further to lower levels or nothing.
From extremely high to lower levels is not good enough.
Normal cooking removes most or all of the anti-nutrients.
Not true.
From waisays:
- Many toxins, like oxalic acid, glycosides, glycoalkaloids, aflatoxins, sterigmatocystine and quercetine are not destroyed by heat. Saponines, fibers, phytic acid (6) and tannins are only partly destroyed.

- 5 to 20% of enzyminhibitors in soy is not destroyed throughout the preparation process, and can cause gripes and can increase CCK (cholecystokinine) secretion, what can be harmful to the pancreas. (7)

- Substances in plants inhibiting protein digestion are mostly not destroyed by heat. (8)
Then they go on defending the antinutrients still present in those sprouts:
The problem in most diets is that we don’t get enough of these substances.
No, the problems are those compounds that may cause cancer in the first place. Not a lack of compounds that can act against them, and that also have toxic properties.
nini

Post by nini »

Thanks for your reply RRM! I really have to think about this....
avalon

Post by avalon »

RRM:
I hope so, because the original foods metnioned are extremely high in antinutrients.
What do you mean 'Hope so'?

Tomatoes have toxins too for example Glycoalkaloids. How do you know there are more antinutrients in sprouts than tomatoes? There are antinutrients in nuts. There are toxins in many things, degrees from minute to poisonous. This is a consideration.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

avalon wrote:What do you mean 'Hope so'?
As it would be extremely unhealthy to eat raw sprouts that have equally much antinutrients as the original beans.
How do you know there are more antinutrients in sprouts than tomatoes?
Your digestive organs clearly tell you.
Besides that, it is generally accepted to be true. Or are you suggesting otherwise?
Its also known, for example, that vegetable-fruits (such as tomatoes) contain more antinutrients than genuine fruits.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

vegetable fruits, heh... sounds funny, to me

What is a veg fruit exactly? fruits low in sugar?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

johndela1 wrote:vegetable fruits, heh... sounds funny, to me

What is a veg fruit exactly? fruits low in sugar?
Foods are listed in categories: meat, cereals, fruits, vegeatbles etc.
And within each category, you have sub-categories.
These are some of the sub-categories for vegetables: leaves, stems, flowers, roots & tubers and vegetable fruits.
Nature doesnt really care about this categorisation, so that some sub-categories may fall in multiple categories. This is also true for the sub-categorie vegetable fruits; it can belong to 2 different categories: fruits or vegetables.
Depending on in what category they are listed, they comprise different foods. Some of the most consistent members of this sub-categorie are aubergine, cucumber, pumpkin, peppers, squash and tomato.

This categorisation is based on the family these foods belong to, so that some of these family members tend to be more like fruits (tomatoes, cucumber), whereas others tend to be more like vegetables (aubergine, squash)
In general, fruits contain less anti nutrients than vegetable fruits, which contain less antinutrients than vegetables, which contain less antinutrients than grains and beans.
avalon

Post by avalon »

How do tomato anti-nutrients compare to sprouted seeds, beans... anti-nutrients?

Thanx,
Avalon :D
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

avalon wrote:How do tomato anti-nutrients compare to sprouted seeds, beans... anti-nutrients?

Thanx,
Avalon :D
Vegetable fruits (tomatoes) contain less than vegetables (sprouts).
Iris

Post by Iris »

With sprouts it's just the same as with coocked foods; after not eating them for a while, it just feels wrong when I do. My body clearly tells me I should stop. For me, this is enough reason to assume they're just not healthy....
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

So can different types of food then be germinated? Can a tomato? Would that be practical? What about a root?
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

you could germinate the seeds of a tomato, but not the whole tomato or the flesh

typically seeds are what germinate

so a root isn't something you'd germinate, but germinating seeds would make them have roots

read about it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germination
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

so if germinated nuts (and seeds?) are healthy, and roots are germinated seeds, does that mean roots are healthy?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

What does "healthy" mean for you?