Munch foods: chocolate and potato chips

Other than specified below
halfgaar
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Munch foods: chocolate and potato chips

Post by halfgaar »

Hi,

I was wondering how bad chocolate and potatoes chips are when it comes to getting acne. They contain only about 5% proteins by weight, and because acne is mostly about the cooked protein, does that mean it probably won't cause (much) acne when eaten in small amounts?

Of course, the salt in potatoe chips is also bad news, right?
RRM
Administrator

Re: Much foods: chocolate and potatoe chips

Post by RRM »

halfgaar wrote:I was wondering how bad chocolate and potatoes chips are when it comes to getting acne. They contain only about 5% proteins by weight,
How much damage has been done to the protein is extremely important and the problem is that chocolate and potate chips have been intensively processed.
Chocolate comes from cacao beans, which are toxic by nature when consumed raw.
Potato chips are fried to the extend that all methionine (an amino acid) has been destroyed.
and because acne is mostly about the cooked protein, does that mean it probably won't cause (much) acne when eaten in small amounts?
Not all.
Cooked potatoes for example are far less likely to cause acne, for example (due to less heat involved)
Of course, the salt in potatoe chips is also bad news, right?
Yes, very much so.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

It also depends on the kind of potato chips, I guess...lots of the popular kinds contain additives, which might provoke acne.
halfgaar

Post by halfgaar »

It also depends on the kind of potato chips, I guess...lots of the popular kinds contain additives, which might provoke acne.
That's no problem. Here, in The Netherlands, the C1000 sells organic chips, with flavors "salt" and "pepper". They contain no additives. Even the normal chips brands like Lays don't have additives in their "natural" flavors.

Of course, salt and pepper are acne causing, so it's not very useful for "us", but I do like the existence of such chips. I have eating some "dirty" foods over the last few days, so I can't experiment, but in the near future, I'm going to try eating a bag of such chips, and see what happens. For me, it takes about a week for the effects to be noticed, I have experienced.
Chocolate comes from cacao beans, which are toxic by nature when consumed raw.
Toxic? That's new to me. An acquaintance of mine said that he knew someone who sold raw chocolate. He also had some raw cacao beans, of which I ate a few. I must say, I did have a headache that day, perhaps it was because of the cacao. But because his girlfriend bought those beans in some foreign country as stuff to be eaten, it seems kind of strange to me that they're toxic.
Potato chips are fried to the extend that all methionine (an amino acid) has been destroyed.
Is that important for acne specifically? Because if it just means that it's unhealthy, I don't really care about that when it comes to my munch foods.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

How is chocolate made?
Toxins taste bitter. Originally, chocolate milk was extremely bitter, but as the procedures improved, they got rid of most of the bitterness.

Ochratoxin A seems to be particularly highly concentrated in the shell. Shelling mostly results in a 95% decrease in ochratoxin A contamination.
Other toxins in unroasted cacao beans are: patulin and penicillic acid

Maya and Aztec civilizations used cacao beans to treat a variety of illnesses, because of the high concentration of polyphenols / flavonoids (many of these have toxic properties).
Raw cacao beans contain (for example) catechin and epicatechin, which are transformed / damaged due to the roasting.
Its the roasting that transfers many of these polyphenols into the chocolate-characteristic compounds.

There are multiple studies about the influence of cacao polyphenols on a variety of biochemical processes in the human body.
halfgaar

Post by halfgaar »

Thanks for the information.

But about toxins tasting bitter; I hope you don't mean that that would mean that everything bitter is toxic. We have a saying: "Bitter in de mond, maakt het hart gezond" (bitter in the mouth, makes your heart healthy; excuse the lousy translation). Just yesterday, my boss, a biologist, gave a tour through his garden pointing out all kinds of edible plants, a lot of which taste bitter. He said that people in the western world have all kinds of nutritional deficiencies, and because of that, eating such unusual things as the plants he pointed out, can give an enormous boost to your feeling of well being, which can last for days. He also emphasized that those bitter plants are often very healthy.

And of course, I don't need to tell you my opinion about the bitter vitamin B17.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

halfgaar wrote:That's no problem. Here, in The Netherlands, the C1000 sells organic chips, with flavors "salt" and "pepper". They contain no additives. Even the normal chips brands like Lays don't have additives in their "natural" flavors.
Yep, that's correct. I wonder what you think of the chips. Before the diet I ate quite a lot of potato chips (the kind containing additives). When on a standard raw diet I switched to Lays natural (potato, salt, vegetable oil), but after two bags I realized that they didn't give me the satisfaction I used to get anymore, so I stopped eating chips altogether.

Lots of plants, herbs, and spices have medicinal qualities. They contain certain substances which can help battle a disease. Those substances are (in varying degree) toxic (otherwise they wouldn't do much good). It's not such a good idea to consume those medicinal toxins when there's nothing wrong.
halfgaar

Post by halfgaar »

I hardly ever ate chips, so I don't really have an opinion about them. I only know that in theory, they're a lot better than those with all kinds of additives, but I have never really experienced conscience side effects from additives, except maybe acne, but that has a much broader cause.

Too bad it takes so much time for bad food to show it's effect in acne. I had a beer yesterday, and now I have to wait about a week before I know the effect.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

For me the effect of the additives was that I hardly could stop eating. ;)
halfgaar

Post by halfgaar »

Monosodiumglutamate, need I say more...?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

The discussion about bitter and vitamin B17 have been moved to this thread: viewtopic.php?t=1787
mario91

Post by mario91 »

I've been doing a test of eating dark chocolate in the past few days. About 100g a day. I tried to get the least harmful one: 50% cocoa solids, 5% protein, 0.1% trans-fat, little to no cholesterol. And no food additives nor "addictives" - only vanilla aroma. The other ingredients are sugar, cocoa butter, cocoa and sunflower licitin as emulsifier.

I'm wondering - how bad is this for health in general, according to "Wai theory"? How bad is 0.1g of trans fatty acids a day?

And most importantly, how addictive? (I think I'm kinda addicted already, or is it the imense pleasure it gives me, i dont know hehe) How bad for brain health?
dime

Post by dime »

For me dark chocolate is extremely bad, the more cocoa the worse constipation :) Normal ones (lower cocoa) are ok usually.
But they are all bad stuff, as they are made from beans (fermented), and are qute full of antinutrients.
You can actually get raw chocolates, if you still want it so much but are concerned about 'dirty protein', transfats, etc. But they are pretty expensive, at least 5eur/100gr.
mario91

Re: Munch foods: chocolate and potato chips

Post by mario91 »

Well, to me they don't give me any constipation at all :)
I don't think raw chocolate is a good idea, since it should have a lot of anti-nutrients, as RRM said before. And hell, I wouldn't pay that much! Besides it shouldn't even be that tasty.
I'm not that much concerned about dirty protein and trans-fat, since it's little a day, I think my body has been showing able to handle it. What I'm very concerned about is how physically addictive this product might be, and how bad for mental health, according to the Wai theory of toxins of cooked foods being addictive and messing with mental health.
mario91

Re: Munch foods: chocolate and potato chips

Post by mario91 »

Omg, I've just tried this dark chocolate, chopped in little cubes, with my North Pole Eggs (check in recipes board)...
I think I've just reached Nirvana!
Seriously, best thing ever.