corn and mushrooms?

Other than specified below
fictor
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

corn and mushrooms?

Post by fictor »

Somewhere in the old forum archives, or in the Wai book, or the
Q and A board or wherever, I read something about corn and mushrooms.

I searched for it now, but I cant find it back!

Anyways, maybe someone here can help me out?

1. I read that one could eat raw corn! Is corn not considered as a "grain"?
Is it a fruit? Will it cause acne or other adverse effects?

2. I read that one of the least harmful munch-foods was a certain type
of mushroom (raw, of course). What kind of mushroom was this?
What is its nutrient content? How bad is it to eat it, regarding acne?

Thanks! :)
RRM
Administrator

Re: corn and mushrooms?

Post by RRM »

fictor wrote:1. I read that one could eat raw corn! Is corn not considered as a "grain"?
Is it a fruit? Will it cause acne or other adverse effects?
I think its 'sweet corn'. I think you can eat it raw, when ripe as it grows in the fields. Im not sure though.
Anybody else?
2. I read that one of the least harmful munch-foods was a certain type of mushroom (raw, of course). What kind of mushroom was this?
What is its nutrient content? How bad is it to eat it, regarding acne?
Well, all mushrooms contain alkaloids that inhibit digestion. Thats also why after a few bites of raw mushroom you dont feel like eating any more (how much that is differs per situation and person).
When you eat very little animal food, some particular mushrooms may be of help regarding protein quality; "Cepe" aka "flat mushrooms" aka "Edible Boletus" (In dutch: "Eekhoorntjesbrood"), which has a 87% protein quality (3.6 gram protein / 100 gram).
Enzyminhibitors are less likely to cause acne than say salt or dirty protein though.
avalon

Post by avalon »

I eat raw sweet corn all the time.

Not sure about acne though.
Havas

Post by Havas »

RRM wrote:Thats also why after a few bites of raw mushroom you dont feel like eating any more (how much that is differs per situation and person).
When ever I buy mushrooms, I *always* overestimate, and buy five or six times as much as I actually end up being able to eat. I just get "sick of them" very easily. But they never go to waste, I'll eat them over the next few days.

I bet that alkaloid you are talking about is then destroyed when cooking, as I've never ever had the same experience with cooked mushrooms. =D
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Havas wrote:I bet that alkaloid you are talking about is then destroyed when cooking, as I've never ever had the same experience with cooked mushrooms. =D
Exactly!
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

I read that topic as well; wai said sweet corn as good except for the pesticide chemicals which can't come off since you can't peel sweet corn.

Also mushrooms are ok as long as you can digest them raw; so maybe they're good for some people.