store bought almond milk vs. cow's milk

Other than specified below
Mr. PC
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

store bought almond milk vs. cow's milk

Post by Mr. PC »

My parents don't want me making almond milk because they're afraid I'm going insane with my eating habits and that my sister is being influenced by them.

So I'm wondering, how bad is the store-bought version? Is it much different than home-made, or is it as bad as dairy?

here's a link to the milk I buy which has nutritional info

http://www.bluediamond.com/shop/natural ... eeze32.cfm

I can't tell if they used raw almonds or not.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

here's a link to the info on the vanilla

http://www.bluediamond.com/shop/natural ... 20Data.pdf

and the regular

http://www.bluediamond.com/shop/natural ... 20Data.pdf

I notice there are slight differences in the sodium and calorie contents, but don't know how significant this is.

I like to put it in tea and I like to make a cereal out of nuts and strawberries, so I hope the berries help wash out the sodium from the milk. How bad of a munch-food would you consider this?
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

do you drink almond milk because you like it, or do you see it as is healthy?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

It's a bit difficult to say, because we don't know if the nuts are heated, and if so, how much. From a theoretical point of view, heated nuts aren't a great munchfood because the protein content is quite high.

On a side note: even so-called certified raw shelled nuts from a rawfood company aren't raw.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

I realize it's not as healthy as eating raw shelled almond but I compromise my diet for a few reasons.

Mostly having really bad hands; originally I was buying un-shelled nuts and cracking them but the process of cracking them was really bad for my hands. I can't afford one of those electric cracking systems.

And once you cheat there's a snowball effect; I'm already eating heat-shelled nuts, so the step to milk made out of them seems less small. The process of making the milk out of the nuts is also really painful, squeezing etc.

So I make a nut-cereal with strawberries and a tea with tons of sugar as my much food. I'm wondering if this almond milk is an option rather than dairy or soy, or maybe mixing would be better because I'll only get 1/3 bad protein 1/3 mutagenic phyto-estrogen, and 1/3 cow estrogen, which the phyto-estrogen is suppose to reduce; so I'm thinking 3 small evils are better than one big evil. Or maybe the almond milk isn't that bad; like you said it's impossible to tell if they're heated.

I hope this isn't a really bad munch-food.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

You can easily be on the diet without nuts, which would solve all your problems (except cravings in the beginning).
Mr. PC

Re: store bought almond milk vs. cow's milk

Post by Mr. PC »

Huh, funny reading this now; I seemed to have no idea about the diet at all back then.

My sister has been drinking almond almond milk recently, and I noticed that it actually has less protein in it than the store bought orange juice. The almond milk "Almond Fresh" has 1g protein per 250ml, and the OJ has 2g per 250ml.

There are ingredients other then almonds in the milk, so I guess these ingredients must be making up a substantial portion of the milk for protein to be so low, or am I way off in left field?
dime

Re: store bought almond milk vs. cow's milk

Post by dime »

The other ingredients are probably a lot of added water.