Garlic

Other than specified below
thefourth
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Garlic

Post by thefourth »

If there is already a topic on this simply redirect me :) I did not see one.

Well, my dad really raves about how good garlic is for me due to the antioxidant content it has. I also saw that garlic was one of the suggested spices if one must add flavor to this diet.

So I was wondering if garlic is truly as healthy as my dad says and, if so, what makes it so healthy. I've also been wondering what exactly an antioxidant is (I know that it is a substance than bonds to oxidizing agents so they are less harmful in our body if I recall right, but would they be a vitamin, mineral, something else, or in an own category?)

Also would it be worthy for me to continue eating garlic on this diet or is everything good from garlic already provided in the other foods?

Thanks
thefourth

Post by thefourth »

Also... (kinda gross but whatever)

I'm currently reading through the book and I just came across this: "In nature, animals that have just given birth eat their own placenta to reabsorb all the cholesterol it contains. Humans don't do that (anymore), and are also told to watch out for cholesterol in foods. This is why so many women suffer from post-natal depression or just feel really tired up to years after having given birth."

Would it be safe for a mother to eat their placenta raw- I know the placenta is (or has been) eaten in certain cultures, but it is usually dried or cooked?
RRM
Administrator

Re: Garlic

Post by RRM »

thefourth wrote: I was wondering if garlic is truly as healthy as my dad says and, if so, what makes it so healthy.
He probably loves the taste of it (in dishes),
so that he gladly believes its so healthy.
Yes, it contains a number of potent antioxidanta.
Antioxidants have their own category, but some of these fit in other categories as well.
Vitamin C, E and beta-carotene, for example, are also vitamins.
Metals usually fall in the category of minerals, and they actually have pro-oxidative properties.
And yet, both vitamins and minerals are considered healthy.
so, how is that possible?
Because its not a black or white issue (as it hardly ever is);
Antioxidants are not simply 'the good guys' and pro-oxidatives 'the bad guys'.
Processes in your body require oxidation. Oxidation is essential.
So, what you need is a balance, and your body will take care of that.
The antioxidants in garlic cannot do that for you, as they are very specific antioxidants;
they are not multifunctional, doing only good work.
They cannot eliminate the mutagens that you ingest from cooked food.
There will be some influence, but limited, and probably both good and bad.
or is everything good from garlic already provided in the other foods?
Yes, all nutrients (which are hardly present in garlic) are already abundantly present in foods.
You may consider garlic as a drug, that may do some good regarding certain illness(es).
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

thefourth wrote:Would it be safe for a mother to eat their placenta raw- I know the placenta is (or has been) eaten in certain cultures, but it is usually dried or cooked?
I think its safe, yes. But i really dont know for sure.
thefourth

Post by thefourth »

Thanks again for the info :D I just have to say that this site and forum and everything is amaizng! Looking forward to being really healthy :)
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Eating lots of egg yolks will probably take care of the need to eat the placenta. ;)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Exactly. 8)
martianwarrior

Post by martianwarrior »

isn't garlic an anti-fungal? are there any other foods that are anti-fungal? can foods even be anti-fungal?? :?
"the purpose is not to disengage from the physical universe. the purpose is to manifest the essence of what you are so completely that you are an aspect of the creation of the physical universe."
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

martianwarrior wrote:isn't garlic an anti-fungal? are there any other foods that are anti-fungal? can foods even be anti-fungal?? :?
Yes, garlic contains various substances that have anti-fungal (and anti-bacterial etc) properties.
All foods contain such substances, but it very much differs how much they contain. These same substances generally also are anti-nutrients.
So, actually, its specific ingredients that are anti-fungal, whereas the food may even contain a fungus.
Iris

Post by Iris »

Oscar wrote:Eating lots of egg yolks will probably take care of the need to eat the placenta. ;)
Numerous mammals eat their placenta too. A lot of domestic cats and dogs still do. So, is this also due to the nutrients in the placenta (what is it that yolks takes care of, cholesterol?). I thought it also was very important to get rid of the placenta (by eating it) to not attract other animals (thus to protect their offspring from becoming prey). Is it both? (this is what I now think it is; the placenta contains certain nutrients for the (often starving) mother, so she will eat it. And by doing so she's simultaneously protecting her offspring. A perfect "solution" of mother nature as you will ;))
snowbunny

Post by snowbunny »

I like your theories, here, Iris. I personally did not even want to look at my placenta, let alone consider eating it...let alone actually eat it.
"All Knowledge Is Worth Having." - Jacqueline Carey
Iris

Post by Iris »

:lol: I wouldn't either :wink:
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Iris wrote:what is it that yolks takes care of, cholesterol?
Yes. Cholesterol is kind of a super-vitamin.
So, taking egg yolks instead would do the trick...
Also, with every period, your pre-placenta gets wasted, which is also filled with cholesterol.
That is why it very much helps to consume lots of egg yolks in the week prior to your period, and a few days after;
this considerably diminishes your menstrual pains.
In most women, 4 or 5 egg yolks a day is already suffice.
I thought it also was very important to get rid of the placenta (by eating it) to not attract other animals
Seems logical to me...
Iris

Post by Iris »

RRM wrote: Also, with every period, your pre-placenta gets wasted, which is also filled with cholesterol.
That is why it very much helps to consume lots of egg yolks in the week prior to your period, and a few days after;
this considerably diminishes your menstrual pains.
In most women, 4 or 5 egg yolks a day is already suffice.
Oh yeah, that's right.... Totally forgot about that :oops: