Questions to Wai dieters; raw meat is disgusting? Oil? Salt?

Other than specified below
811Foodie
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Questions to Wai dieters; raw meat is disgusting? Oil? Salt?

Post by 811Foodie »

I have read a little bit about the Wai diet and found it is fairly similar to the diet I eat....high in fruits. How ever I am confused about why animal foods and oils are included in the diet as I do not believe that they are healthy choices. Here are a few questions I pose to you and hope you can answer....

Why do raw animal foods such as sushi, raw egg yolks, and meat have NO taste to us and in fact are disgusting to many people? If we are supposed to be eating these foods, shouldn't the taste amazing to us like a ripe juicy mango does?

Assuming we should be following a natural primitive diet, what role does olive oil play in nutrition? It is, for the most part, empty calories providing no vitamins, minerals, water, fiber, or essential aminos/fats. Salts and spices too are not part of our original diet. Why are they allowed on this diet?

Thanks
Iris

Post by Iris »

How many people do you actually know who eat raw animal foods? I know I'm not alone in this, but raw salmon and yolks taste lovely to me.....

Oil is included in this diet because your body needs it :wink:
RRM
Administrator

Re: Questions to those following the Wai diet

Post by RRM »

Hi Foodie,
Welcome to the board.
811Foodie wrote: Why do raw animal foods such as sushi, raw egg yolks, and meat have NO taste to us
Taste is very much subject to what you are used to.
If you always use a lot of salt, you will find foods with less salt added to be tasteless.
Some people always add hot spices to virtually whatever they eat,
and when they eat something that is not as spicey, they find it tasteless.
In some cultures they use specific spices (curry, for example),
and they dont like the same dishes without that spice.
In the same way, people who never use salt, will find modern foods awfully salt.
In our society, most foods are naturally unedible, and need to be prepared extensively in order to make them taste good.
Do you like cooked potatoes, pasta or rice without salt?
All modern foods are covered in 'taste enhancers' (salt, spices, herbs etc),
so that when we eat them without these taste enhancers, they have no taste.
and in fact are disgusting to many people?
Most people would be disgusted by the idea of eating raw egg yolks,
but how many have actually tasted it?
Give 10 of them a plate with cooked potatoes with just a little bit of salt,
and then let them taste the same plate, but with raw egg yolks mixed in.
I assure you that 9 out of 10 will prefer the taste of the latter dish.
We actually use raw egg yolks as a sauce, because of their natural rich flavours (creamy, full, a bit vanilla-like)

Do you know carpaccio?
Many people find it delicious.
The same goes for sushi, whereas many people were originally disgusted by the idea of eating raw fish.
If we are supposed to be eating these foods, shouldn't the taste amazing to us like a ripe juicy mango does?
Sugar is one of the taste enhancers that we use a lot in our current society.
That is why we have no trouble recognizing the flavour of ripe fruits as pleasant.
Also because sugar(s) is/are our primary source of energy;
children love the taste of sugar from the day they are born,
as this energy is so essential (for the brain, and growth) and its taste so easy to recognize.
Assuming we should be following a natural primitive diet
That is not the basis of the Wai-diet.
The basis of the Wai-diet is to ingest as little toxins and antinutrients as possible.
As cooking originates toxins, its a raw food diet.
And as veggies, beans and grains contain most anti-nutrients, these are also excluded from the diet.
What remains are raw foods that are very easy to digest and rich in nutrients; fruits, some nuts and raw animal food.
But yes, we do promote to listen to your body, as it can tell you very accurately what it needs, and when it needs it,
if you first take away all the misleading taste/appetite enhancers, that is.
what role does olive oil play in nutrition? It is, for the most part, empty calories providing no vitamins, minerals, water, fiber, or essential aminos/fats.
Calories are also essential.
Sugars, like most fats dont contain vitamins etc either, but like non-essential fats, we need them to survive.
Fats and sugars provide us with energy, but we need them to be in balance,
as sugars provide us with fast but short lasting energy,
and fats supply us with slow and long lasting energy.
So you can see that they are complementary.
Since this diet is predominantly naturally rich in sugars (fruits)
and we dont eat a lot of anmal food, oils may provide you with the desired fat:sugars ratio.
Salts and spices too are not part of our original diet. Why are they allowed on this diet?
They are not.
Only if you cannot/dont want to adhere to the 100% strict diet,
you can eat munch foods and/or add salt /spices.
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

I've followed a diet, that was basicly the same as this diet, but with two differences:
- no oil
- much more raw animal food

I don't suffer much from acne, I follow it for other reasons.

But, now I've changed to the wai diet. So, less protein and much more oil (olive oil, and coconut meat).

My eyes and skin are less dry now. And I've more energy. So oil seems to me important. But maybe it is because of less protein.
gracie

Post by gracie »

I agree that a raw piece of low-quality meat and a cup of corn oil will seem gross to most people. But I think that a plump cut of raw salmon, a yummy yolk sauce, and a bottle of olive oil seems intuitively healthy and appetizing, at least to me. It's just pure protein and pure fat, with nothing bad. I can't imagine the diet without fat or protein, because they really satisfy (in their own individual way).

As far as olive oil, I'm obsessed. And last week I met a woman who is 78 but she looks, walks, and talks like a 40-year-old. She just blew my mind. I asked her what her 'secret' was and she swears on olive oil. She puts it on everything (including herself).
Okay, I'm not saying this is any sort of evidence whatsoever, but I love olive oil.